95 prelude making noise inside engine. balancing shaft? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default 95 prelude making noise inside engine. balancing shaft?

just picked up a 95 prelude SV-T with H22A1 with 5spd for $70(yes seventy canadian)
runs but makes an horrible noise. thinking balancing shaft is gone. or could be the water pump. either way i have to take timing side of engine apart.

i have checked inside the oil pan and no metal flakes in oil or pan. connecting rods look good and tight. popped the valve cover and cams look good.

nothing obvious yet. going to take apart front of engine and check for something there. timing belt and water pump were done not long ago so probably not them but will water pump anyhow

have been doing some research and people say its safe to cut the balancing shaft belt and just leave shaft there so you dont loose oil pressure.
barongtc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

sorry 95 prelude SR-V(not sure where i got sv-t)
anyone have timing belt / balancing shaft install/removal instuctions.

or manual in pdf or something
Old 02-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

You can run it fine without the balance shaft connected, but why not just do it properly? My guess is one of the bearings on the front of the motor have gone bad. Probably the timing belt tensioner puller wasn't replaced with the belt/waterpump.

Have you tried googling "prelude workshop manual", there should be results with download links.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2018, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

i will do it properly when i have a chance to drive the car and know if it needs alot of stuff or not. most likely get the eliminator kit for balancer

i tried searching for prelude 95 repair manual but turned up with nothing.
just did search on prelude workshop manual but all the links come up as not found(deleted)

will keep looking. just figured someone on here would have one. if not i may go buy a book
Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I typed in ab0ve prelude into google and got this

Index of /Manuals

reason for "ab0ve"? (btw that is a zero, not an "oh") that is the name that graces all the freely available honda manuals. Some generous soul of some sort, I would imagine. Or someone bored as shit at a dealership, who copied everything for us enthusiasts.

In that list, look at the file sizes on the right. find any large one (over 250mb) that says prelude, HOVER over the link, find your chassis code (BB5, etc..) and you will find it

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

nevermind. I clicked the parent directory link, found this

SHWEET.org Automotive Enthusiast Site by Justin Webb

Build what you have!

Old 02-25-2018, 08:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

thanks i found some at hondahookup dot com also but i had to register to download manuals.

will check the one you mentioned also. that way i can check them both to confirm as i should be working on car tomorrow

thanks again
Old 02-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

We removed the balancer belt from the H22A7 in our previous ATR without problems. (There wasn't enough room to withdraw the shaft with the engine in place.) The increase in vibration is negligible.

To do it properly, you need a removal kit. This basically makes sure that the end is sealed.

Leaving the shaft in just means you're carrying dead weight, but at least it's no longer a rotating mass. Anecdotally, it gives you another 3 hp ...

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

well i put the oil pan back up and went to autoparts store to buy a crankshaft pulley tool for the honda. 61cdn ouch lol

but i bought it for my one time use and might use again some day lol
well i took the belts off and then i noticed the crankshaft pulley was really loose. about 1 inch of play back and forth.

so that may be the noise im hearing. so tightened it up, put new mobile 1 10w30 oil and put everything back together so i can see if noise went away.

unfortunately i have to wait until tomorrow to get new exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe circle gaskets as old ones were no good. would start without but neighbors would not like that lol

tomorrow i will find out if that fixes issue. i didnt notice anything else with it so should
Old 03-01-2018, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

yep that was the problem. drives great but needs rear brakes and sunroof leak fixed. also drivers window doesn't work.

guy that sold me it believed it was balancing shaft so i thought i would remove belt but didn't have to.

thanks for the help. this car has been saved
Old 03-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Be sure you used a brand new crank bolt. Falling off or coming loose is generally what happens with re-use.

OR previous owner/mechanic did not follow proper torque specs/technique.

For sunroof leak, is it directly around the seal? or does it take some time for it to start leaking?

look for the water drain tube. It can be clogged, preventing proper drainage, and imitating a seal leak via overflowing.

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in