Squeal under timing cover, videos of failures don't squeal they knock and grind - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Squeal under timing cover, videos of failures don't squeal they knock and grind

Ok, so the car hasn't been ours long and hadn't been maintained as well as my car.

It developed an rpm variable noise which I figured to be bearings on the 200 amp alternator previous owner had installed for a 10k stereo system. It was gorilla gripped in there like only a juiced up meathead could have accomplished. That belt could have cut steel it was so tight. The lower mount bolt took 36 inches of breaker bar to pop loose so I didn't even diagnose it, I just replaced it.

Noise continued and slightly worsened over 3-4 days of use, stopped getting worse.

Next day PS reservoir was smoking when I checked for fluid, so again, fixed the "no brain" solution w an extra pump we had lying around and noise was gone for like 2 minutes.

Til the belt squealed. Tightened it slightly and cleaned it, original noise returns.

Pop both ps and alt belt, noise continues.

Reinstall both belts condemning myself for failure, complete silence.

Next time I start the car original noise returns, quiets itself as we drive 15 miles. By the time we get out to the farm it's almost silent. So warming up had an effect.

Jessie complained a belt squealed, and I had spilled some ps fluid on it the day before so i cleaned + tensioned both belts properly and again complete silence. For 2 days.

Jessica complained the belt was squealing constantly now but the original noise was gone. I went and started the car, no belt noise. No original noise.

Took it for a quick drive and there was a much quieter, variable with rpm squeal nearly constantly. Then silence. Then the noise returned and there was an unnerving 2 seconds of a grinding noise, followed by the sound of water flushing from the passenger side dash. I nearly soiled myself.

Drove home about 2 miles, didn't overheat, didn't lose much if any water....

Now I'm afraid to let her and the kids go anywhere in it.

Planning to start it up, inspect things and see what noises it's making now, after checking water level so as it warms up I can watch for leaks and loss as (hopefully) replies to this pile in.

Note, I'm not sure what's up w the water rushing sound in the interior... not the first time it's done that and my car never does it... heat works properly in both cars.

Thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

This morning, complete silence til it warmed up. Sounds like crickets at idle, the squeak of a rusty hinge but more high pitched, or turning a glass stopper in a bottle or... crickets. Then with revs it increases in frequency to a constant squeak noise that is continuous.

Full of water, no leaks visible outside lower cover with no drips on the ground.

Tired of throwing parts at it. Bout to throw water pump and tensioner at it though. Car needs to be family friendly by Friday night.

Edit: sorry for double post, I just NOW stumbled over how to edit in the enhanced mobile view.

The original LOUD grinding/whirring noise is completely gone. Just these crickets left to iron out.

Last edited by evotec1; 02-07-2018 at 09:22 AM.
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

does the car have a/c? could be idler pulley for the timing belt. how does the timing belt look? how bout the crank pulley sprockets?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Timing belt tensioner.....ask me how I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ouch. Cover is coming off as we speak, bout to make a parts run. Getting Gates timing belt kit. Is it normal for the timing belt to look like it's been getting wire brushed? Tread side looks new

Oh and no ac

Last edited by evotec1; 02-07-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Tensioner failed, burning up the belt.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Yeah sounds like timing belt tensioner.

How'd you go with the replacement?

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

So far so good. Spent most of the afternoon being a dad so I ran out of light. It's torn down, probably should go pop the pump seal so it can drain out overnight, I'm no earth hater it's just water wetter and h2o

Kinda sucked I had to buy the same tools, again....
Old 02-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Tensioner was siezed
Old 02-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Good catch, and be happy you pay enough attention to your vehicles that no one was stuck on the side of the road.

a seized tensioner is kinda rare, but a given with enough age.

that car might have been a candidate for just a belt swap at some point in its life, and perhaps tensioner was original or from first T-belt change

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Said made in japan, everything else was non oem. It's rare they seize? What about ebay ones?

Yeah I was really surprised it wouldn't move at ALL, explains the brushed looking belt back though I'd say.

And thanks. Most of the time ppl see the hondas and assume I like to run stuff into the ground. I try to keep on top of it so i can justify upgrades

Last edited by evotec1; 02-08-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Ive put well over 100k on an ebay timing kit before.

the tensioner was never seized, but the bearings had certainly seen better days when it was finally changed.

Ive never had one seize. Ive simply had the cheap ones come close to coming apart lol

Build what you have!

Old 02-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

they last about 275-300k miles

Quote:
Old 02-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

OEM ones?^^

I wouldnt any tensioner past 200k miles, regardless of branding.

my luck has never been that good

Build what you have!

Old 02-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Water pump and tensioner every other TB change of 90k miles at a min.

Quote:
Old 02-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Am I supposed to fill the block with water before it'll pull water? I ran it for about 4-5 minutes and it's not doing squat. Heater won't blow even mildly warm, lower hose cold, radiator level unchanged. Must have a hell of an air bubble in there but aside from filling from the upper hose idk how to get water to the pump.

I just hope I didn't kill my new pump or get my head too hot. Waiting til it's bone cold again to do anything.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

You can jack the front end up to help.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

So I hear and am now doing, but the upper hose had water in it. I disconnected from the radiator and forced water into the head but as I did so the radiator overflowed w no bubbles.

Is it safe to run the car like this to attempt bleeding? I have no indication circulation is happening at all and the bleed valve indicates no pressure. Unless I squeeze the tube. Then some shoots out the bleeder.

And now it is too low on gas to start on stilts, lowered it a bit started up, held it at 2500 for a few seconds and then it idled rough so it's either losing gas or getting really hot internally.

I'd run down to grab gas if I knew I wasn't causing damage. It's just long enough that the car should warm all the way up by my return.

Temp gauge solid cold, moves very slightly up and down, has previously been reliable

Last edited by evotec1; 02-09-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Poured in some gas, jacked the passenger front sky high, problem solved.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in