Honda temprature sensor defect? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ D-series Knowledge Factory Ľ General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Honda temprature sensor defect?

Hello people!

My name is Jack and I am new on the forum because I bought a Honda del sol!

I bought this honda with the temprature gauge defect atleast that appeared during the first ride, the seller sayed that he does it occasionally (of course: lol

The temp gauge rises when the engine warms up past the "C" between the first & second line it just stops

I have replaced the Thermostat in the meantime

and have also replaced the Temperature sensor

No result...

I have never heard the fan turn (because it probably stays too cold)
Also have white condensation from the exhaust.

Hope you have a bit of experience with this or can think along with you, The wiring harness should I have a look at maybe melted?

( HONDA DEL SOL 1996 - D16Y8 )

Greetings from,

Jack Armando
jack-armando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Hope you have a bit of experience with this or can think along with Me. (corrected)
Old 01-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Hello Jack,

Do you have access to a multimeter?

I see you said you replaced the temperature sensor, but did you replace the temperature sender for the gauge?

The sensor sends information to the ECU. The sender is wired directly to the gauge in the cluster. The sender is just a single post unit.

If you ground the wire lead for the sender, it should peg the gauge hot.

'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2018, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I had a del sol in Tennessee during the winter, the car would only fully warm up when sitting still for long periods. I had to put a huge chunk of cardboard in front of the radiator to help with the overcooling issue I was having. Mine was with OEM t-stat and sensors, only 113k on the original B7.

What are your current temps where you live?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
I had a del sol in Tennessee during the winter, the car would only fully warm up when sitting still for long periods. I had to put a huge chunk of cardboard in front of the radiator to help with the overcooling issue I was having. Mine was with OEM t-stat and sensors, only 113k on the original B7.

What are your current temps where you live?
Temps are around 7 Celsius, but i have been standing still for about 10 minutes with engine on. Also did not heard the fans or anything but thank for the thoughts!

You're Rep's are indeed high keep it up haha
Old 01-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Thumbs up

I have a multimeter, but it haves limited options.

i will try this method thanks for this solid advice u just gave me!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Grab the hose from the thermostat, if it has opened it will get hot. You should be able to hold on to that hose and feel the temp change when it opens, it will get suddenly a lot warmer/hot.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Grab the hose from the thermostat, if it has opened it will get hot. You should be able to hold on to that hose and feel the temp change when it opens, it will get suddenly a lot warmer/hot.
on 9-1-2018 ( Today) i will receive my new sending unit from the coolant temp sensor, 2 days ago i took my Honda for a drive around (30 minutes) after the drive i could easily feel the engine's head ( not hot )

i know you're telling me now to feel the hoses to the thermostat, but the new sensor will arrive today so i will check what happens then.

But if it opens(thermostat), should the fan not come on aswell ?
Old 01-08-2018, 06:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

The fan won't kick on until the coolant temp is around 200*F~. The thermostat will start to open at 170*F~.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

The temperature gauges in most Hondas I've had don't show more than half way, and they often sit lower than that.

Could you post a picture of the gauge once the car's warmed up. There's just a chance that what you're seeing is normal.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
The temperature gauges in most Hondas I've had don't show more than half way, and they often sit lower than that.

Could you post a picture of the gauge once the car's warmed up. There's just a chance that what you're seeing is normal.
Pretty sure its to low

Old 01-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Talking

Quote:
The fan won't kick on until the coolant temp is around 200*F~. The thermostat will start to open at 170*F~.
Hey!

I did some stuff you asked me to do so.....

The new sensor could not fit idk why it won't fit its for my engine and my head everything, i ordered a new 1 from a diffrent company

The sensor in the rear

U asked me to try the thermostat tubing, it was cold after a ride, once i stand still and let the engine run for 10 minutes it be came hot, after a while very hot, Could not hold on longer than 2 seconds (fan did not turn on btw)

My temp gauge wont go higher than this

at idle,driving, speeding,just standing, it will always stays at this point

For the First time i pulled my engine in to v-tec (afraid for the cold engine stuff, but after thinking, i would guess it was kinda save because the engine oil would be warm enough to lubricate enough.

After these pulls, the condense stopped from my exhaust, after coming home my engine head felt finally hotter than usual.

Still have to ground the single wired sensor to the Ground to check if the gauge even rices above the first bar.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

To rule out bad cluster and wire ground the single temp sensor wire. This will make the needle move up if it’s working and is a quick way to know if the gauge and wire are good.

For the fan unplug the fan switch plug in the thermostat housing (round gray plug with 2 wires) and jump them with a paper clip the fan should turn on if the wiring and fan are good. The key might need to be in the on position for this to work. If fan comes on everything is working like it should up to the fan switch. The fan switch could be bad or there could be air in the cooling system or the water pump could be bad or even a clogged radiator

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
JKM
n00b

Fan should kick in when the motor almost reach boiling point, at 8 degrees Celsius you're going to have a hard time to get it to that point.

If I may, what is that singe point wire underneath the dizzy?
Jack, I hope you will understand my Afrikaans. Ek hoop jy kom gou reg met jou probleem.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
JKM
n00b

[QUOTE=JKM;5120729
[/QUOTE]

Nevermind, answer was in Lowflyin's post. Blind
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
To rule out bad cluster and wire ground the single temp sensor wire. This will make the needle move up if itís working and is a quick way to know if the gauge and wire are good.

For the fan unplug the fan switch plug in the thermostat housing (round gray plug with 2 wires) and jump them with a paper clip the fan should turn on if the wiring and fan are good. The key might need to be in the on position for this to work. If fan comes on everything is working like it should up to the fan switch. The fan switch could be bad or there could be air in the cooling system or the water pump could be bad or even a clogged radiator
i just did all this!

i looked at the fan, plugged it to battery and it turned on.

i grounded the single wire cable to the ground and it went up very fast ! but just in time to turn the switch off ( did not hit the HOT at all )

i was just testing stuff and i reconnected everything and wanted to go home but then a friend told me that the gauge worked!

As u can see aswell my fuel gauge liked to go down aswell

i think temp gauge was stuck ?
or something made a better connection ?

i already removed the cables tons of times so reconnecting was not the fix?

anyways it works, for now!
tomorrow i will re-check if it will go up by itself this time.

Already thanks for everyone's there help !
Old 01-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM View Post
Fan should kick in when the motor almost reach boiling point, at 8 degrees Celsius you're going to have a hard time to get it to that point.

Jack, I hope you will understand my Afrikaans. Ek hoop jy kom gou reg met jou probleem.

True that, Can't see to come even close haha but its fixed now.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Sooo today i tested it, and guess what it was stuck again !!!

after grounding the single wire again it fixed it right away.

but probably when the engine is cooled off its just back in problems

i think that my temp gauge could get stuck somewhere in my gauge pod ?

idk makes the most sense to me
Old 01-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Is there any corrosion on the plug/wire for the sensor?

Quote:
Old 01-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Is there any corrosion on the plug/wire for the sensor?
i found the problem!

now i just have to fix it.

The temp gauge is somewhere stuck!

This sounds maybe a lil strange but when i push near the temp gauge on my gauge pod (when engine is hot) i can see my indicator move i kept doing this until it reaches the point it won't go up anymore ( the ideal temp )

So its just stuck or there is some sort of tension on it

i will break the gauge pod down to see if i can find someting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
defect, gauge, heat, stays cold, temp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in