d16z6 build start up issue - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default d16z6 build start up issue

I am currently working on getting my project 88 civic up and running. I have spent a good part of the day fighting to get it started, when i set the mechanical timing correct with the timing marks on the cam gear with the horizontal marks flush with the top of the cylinder head the car doesn't want to run (no backfires) but tries very hard to start with the distributor fully retarded. with it like that it seems like it is only a few degrees of timing away from running.

I have tried retarding and advancing the mechanical timing both 1 and 2 teeth in each direction to no avail.

car cranks fine, and has spark to all 4 cylinders, I need to check the injectors but adding starter fluid does not help so I am assuming as of now that it is not a fueling issue, fuel is verified as far as leaving the filter headed to the rail.

as it sits right now is as such

d16z6 stock head and block
stock crank
stock cam
stock cam gear
stock injectors
eagle connecting rods
vitara pistons
walboro 255 fuel pump
unmodified pr4 and p28 ecus have been used to try and start the vehicle
pr4 shows iat sensor code, p28 uses a jumper harness.

I have jumped the drivers side plug to bypass ecu timing adjustments
I have visually verified that when the crank shows tdc in regards to mechanical timing adjustments, cyl 1 is at tdc and the rotor in the distributor is pointing at cylinder 1. I have also checked the spark plug wire order many many times

Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions
jester1614 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2017, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Are you setting it to tdc on the compression stroke?

Check the valve lash.if valves are to tight it won’t start and if to loose it won’t start.

If your using an obd0 distributor you must use an obd0 Ecu. If your using an obd1 distributor you must use an obd1 Ecu. You can’t use an obd0 Ecu with obd1 distributor

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

today I am going to start with a compression test, fuel injector test for pulse signal and I will check valve lash.

I currently have the p28 plugged in as I am using the z6 distributor with a subharness, the main reason i tried the p04 was to see if there are any codes.

and yes the setup is always done with number 1 at tdc on the compression stroke.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

88 civic what? Dx, si, ex, etc?

Dpfi to mpfi wiring issue?
Using obd1 injectors? Still using a resistor box?
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

its a 88 civic dx I am using the obd0 injectors with resistor box

car ran before the engine swap, nothing has been done to the wiring harness other than the addition of the jumper harnesses.

I used the noid lights and I have no power at the fuel injectors. I will verify this when I come back from church with a voltmeter, but as of now there is no pulse and when I apply power the light turns on
Main relay is brand new, I have a spare as well, fuel pump turns on .
Old 09-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Was it converted to mpfi before the swap?
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes it was mpfi before, this is essentially a d16y7 to d16z6 swap
Old 09-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just checked the injectors. there is no voltage to the injector pigtails, the grounds are all good. putting 12 volts to each injector I can hear them firing. injectors ohm out at 5.6 ohms.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Do you have power to the resistor box? Could be a blown fuse or something not plugged in.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2017, 07:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, after some thought it dawned on me that it was most likely an ecu issue so I plugged in my pr4 and bam fuel pump turned on. So i purchased a chipped p28 and installed it with the jumper harness and no go. I did a ton of research into the obd0 to obd1 jumper harness changes, I installed it all again and started probing for power on the ecu and noticed that I had a loose wire on the ecu side of the p28 harness. tightened up the connection and I now have injector pulses as well as fuel pressure. hopefully tomorrow I will get to see if the car runs.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

And she runs. Time to finish all the small things and get her driving
Old 10-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

buzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester1614 View Post
And she runs. Time to finish all the small things and get her driving
good job !!

00 dx coupe with lowering springs, integra brakes, and boosted d16z6!
Quote:
Also, get the fuck out of my thread, you 5th gen pussy.
J.M. Maclean, deployed 3-29-2013 to Afghanistan.
Returned 9-22-2013.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in