oil leak in timing belt area - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default oil leak in timing belt area

my 96 EX with d15 vtec started leaking oil from behind the timiing belt cover.
It only leaks when the engine is running. I took the timing belt cover and crank pulley off but am still not sure if the leak is the crank seal or oil pump, per many internet articles.
I would like to start the engine with the cover and pulley off, so that i can see where the leak is coming from.
My question is, can i run the engine at idle for 5 minutes or so without the crank bolt being torqued to factory specs? There is no way i can torque to specs without the pulley on. With the pulley on it obstructs vision so i may not be able to see a leak.
Thoughts?
grizz210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

just to note. The timing belt, cam and crank seals and water pump were replaced about 8 months ago. No leaks until now.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

I'd bet that one of them or both of them aren't seated properly and worked its way out. When you tear it back apart i'd change the timing belt. I had too many timing belts slip time after experiencing something similar.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

I personally wouldn't start the car without torquing down the crank pulley. Have you tried cranking it by hand to see if you can get it to leak that way?

I would clean it as best you can with a sprayer on an air compressor or maybe some precise shoots with some carb cleaner, run the car for just a half a minute and then pull it back off and look again. If there's no oil above the crank pulley, it might be the oil pump o-ring. Try to see if there's more oil on one side or the other. If you think about it though, if you're already having to change the crank seal, you might as well do the oil pump as well.

Take pics and post em up.
MigsD16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Good idea about cranking it manually. I will try that. The engine rotates counter clockwise as i recall. I have it all cleaned up now awaiting my decision about what to do.
I have never done an oil pump seal before. You have any suggestions of youtube videos for it...
All the time I have spent thinking about it I could have just replaced it all by now. haha
Old 07-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

slowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcanoslowturbocx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slowturbocx

Look up on how to change a timing belt or oil pump. You should probably have it done in less than 3 hours.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in