dual carb build - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default dual carb build

Hi all

I proudly own a 4th gen civic hatchback with a solid and reliable D14a1 dual carb with 90hp:

D14A1[edit]
Found in:
19871991 Honda Civic GL and 1990 CRX (European market)
October 1989 1994 Honda Concerto GL (European market)
Displacement: 1,396*cc (85.2*cu*in)
Bore and Stroke: 75.0*mm *79.0*mm (2.95*in *3.11*in)
Compression: 9.3:1
Power: 90*PS (66*kW; 89*hp) at 6,300*rpm[4]
*88*PS (65*kW; 87*hp) in the Concerto[5]
Torque: 11.4*kgm (112*Nm; 82*lbft) at 4,500*rpm
Valvetrain: SOHC (four valves per cylinder)
Fuel Control: Dual Carburetor PGM-CARB
Piston Code: PM2

the PM2 pistons are very nice domed, now i wonder if i can install a D16a6/7 in D14a1 block with y8 head gasket and if i will increase my CR.

its a straight fit ?
what dizzy to use and timing belt ?
Its the Keihin carbs enough to increase power?

Another question I own a ED7 16i16 L3 gearbox laying in my garage I understand the gear ratios are very nice but the FD its 3.888 however i own a FD 4.437 from a P7 gearbox from a dual carb D14a1 Honda concerto.

will the ED7 L3 gear box be a straight fit ??

Greetings D brotherhood
vtecdream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

any help ?????????

Mista bone ????????????
acid beaver ???????????
Anyone ???????????????

Last edited by slo_eg8; 06-14-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

You can swap the FD from one L3 trans to another, you can not swap FD from a L3 trans to a trans that is a hydro clutch.

I don't understand the question of the d16a6 and your d14a1, are you trying to put a 1.6 block in your car, if so just use your head and the Y8 gasket and the d16a6 block so you can keep the carbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to dirty d Send a message via Yahoo to dirty d

Yep you can take a dual carb head and put it on a d15b7 or d16a6 block (or most other non-vtec blocks) if that's your question. Also yes you can use a y8 head gasket or deck the head to increase compression as well. Tuning the carbs would probably be the hard part for me atleast.
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

well my car its a dual carb d14a1 but i m considering to install a A6 heag with carbs, because a6 head should be more ported and has a more aggressive cam profile but i want to keep it dual carb in my d14a1 block with domed pistons
Old 06-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

but what time best should i use ?
and a6 camshaft will run ok dual carbed ?
Old 06-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness

The D16a6 camshaft would probably not work since the fuel pump runs off the camshaft lobe, unless that d16a6 is somehow stock with carbs.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

re-use your current head. you wont need to worry about ports unless you actually want to rev higher, which will then put the struggle on the dual carbs to see if they are worth the effort.

having the bigger 1.6 setup itself will be a nice bump in power, and since you have carbs, you can easily richen it up a little bit

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

thanks
ill try it
the car is very light and with short gear ratios and a 4,437 FD will be fun for sure
Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

The best OEM cam would be the carb ZC cam.

Slightly bigger than the a6 and still has the eccentric lobe to drive your fuel pump.

It doesn't sound like you are here in the US, but I wouldn't even bother with the stock fuel pump drive. We can get basic electric fuel pumps for $40-60 USD which would run a lightly modded d14 easily. I've bought 2 Holley Reds for ~$50 on eBay. I use them for a lot of things.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

nop, Im in Europe
I dont know carb zc engine :O
Old 06-30-2017, 07:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

An electric fuel pump would solve the problem with running the A6 head and cam. Because the A6 head and cam both wouldn't work without the cam that has the pump lobe and the A6 head would have to be slightly modified to fit the fuel pump as well. So yes an electric pump is good and would allow you to run carbs on the A6, but I'd imagine the factory one is more reliable.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

considering a sub-10 psi electric fuel pump is cheap as hell, reliability isnt really a worry.

especially if you can get a year or more out of them.

going electric will allow far more flexability. if the carbs are ever swapped out in the future for say, ones from a sportbike of some sort, you have a far easier chance of success with minimal mods.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
civic hatchback, d series build, dual carb, honda, l3 gearbox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in