New(to me) car woes... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2017, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default New(to me) car woes...

Sooooo I bought a '99 Civic LX with 165k miles. It's all stock, the person I bought it from did some major repairs/maintenance. He replaced the water pump and timing kit. And put NGK platinum spark plugs in it. That's just the relevant items. Now since I owned it I have driven about 1500 miles and had some issues. First problem started the first time I drove it more than ~30 miles I pulled into the drive through of a burger joint and the water temp started rising, so I revved it and it dropped almost instantly. So I burped the air bubble and added distilled water. Fixed! For now...

Next trip we drive 195 miles to the coast through the mountains and such. All was good on the way there. On the way back the water temp started to rise again. So we took it slow, stopped when we could, and kept the temp down. Then it lost power, wouldn't happily rev past 3500rpm and had no acceleration. Found the seal on the radiator cap was broken. Needless to say, I towed it home 88 miles(thank you AAA).

At home, after new rad cap, I found the platinum plugs and my history with anything but OEM plugs told me I need ZFR5F-11s now. So did that. No change still will not rev past 3500rpm. Next, I removed the distributor and disassembled it to find bearings going bad (explained the bearing noise between 1500rpm and 2500rpm...) and a coil with a hot spot. New distributor, done.
Same issue no rev past 3500rpm but also now I CAN NOT set ignition timing. I jumped the "service check" connector. I can hardly see the timing marks on the crank pulley; it's as if they are retarded 20 or 30 degrees. The timing light has an advance adj. knob, if I turn it to anything between 20 or 30 degrees the marks can be lined up with the distributor. HOWEVER, IT STILL WONT REV PAST 3500rpm and it stumbles at idle.

Help me with my troubleshooting?
My theory is that when the person replace the timing/water pump kit, he got the cam timing off one tooth. He had no reason to adjust ignition timing with the distributor after the job because it ran good enough and he hadn't touched it.
So the cam is a tooth off and I can't get base ignition timing set?
Tomorrow morning I will start with replacing the fuel filter. Then I will check the Cam/Crank timing.
NO CEL AT ALL.

Last edited by Sac*HXy5; 05-21-2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Sac*HXy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

It jumped a tooth while you were driving is more likely than it always having been a tooth off. Hopefully you didn't overheat it too bad and warp the head. Check timing first then compression test before anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Sac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow upSac*HXy5 is about to blow up

Found the problem...

New theory: Bad rad cap caused overheating, overheating caused coil to melt, coil caused backfire, backfire caused tensioner to break.

And here we are...
Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 View Post
It jumped a tooth while you were driving is more likely than it always having been a tooth off. Hopefully you didn't overheat it too bad and warp the head. Check timing first then compression test before anything else.
x2 the belt probably wasnt tensioned correctly, and "shit head" sold it instead of fixing his fuckup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Results of a dumbass(not me) jacked up the car with the oil pan...

More fun...

Old 05-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Found this under the baffle in the oil pan... What the F*#k!!!!

But seriously how does a rock get in to the oil pan?
Old 05-23-2017, 03:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

wtf
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series SoCal Division

Rep Power: 16 AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Looks like you got your work cut out for you.

Whats the plan?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 civic dx hatch
jdm d15b vtec obd1
web level 1 cam
15g turbo 13 psi
STOLEN!
AJAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

The plan is to finish it today.

Yesterday I replaced the oil pump seal, installed new water pump and complete timing kit, triple checked mechanical timing and started reassembly.

I have all the parts I'll need. I still have to adjust the valves, flush the radiator, fill it with fluids, set ignition timing and double check everything...
Should be good to go this evening.

Last edited by Sac*HXy5; 05-23-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Things did not go according to plan lol
Yesterday I made great progress but I hit a snag

So I made a special trip to the dealer for this little guy last night before they closed.

I'm going to run a compression test then flush the coolant and start fresh with a new thermostat.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 mrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to allmrblur is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

I have feeling it's not the orginal engine, is there anyway you can check the vin numbers. They should match
Old 05-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblur View Post
I have feeling it's not the orginal engine, is there anyway you can check the vin numbers. They should match
Original engine, original transmission. Matched all VINs before I bought the car.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Can you, like... find a bigger rock, and pretend the bigger rock was the one in the oil pan... and "return" the rock to the original owners face? Please???
Quote:
Old 05-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch

Rep Power: 34 dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !dougshatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dougshatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Can you, like... find a bigger rock, and pretend the bigger rock was the one in the oil pan... and "return" the rock to the original owners face? Please???
lmao x3

My kanjozoku project

dougshatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

wow, wrong crank key, probably did not do the 2nd loosen and retorque on crank bolt or tensioner bolt, and appears rushed a bit.

This is why it took me 5 hours to do headgasket and timing belt at same time. wanted everything clean, set correctly, and done per tech manual.

Good job on having patience and checking everything out.

I personally would have missed that loose sloppy crank key. Good fucking catch!

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2017, 07:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
LMFAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
wow, wrong crank key, probably did not do the 2nd loosen and retorque on crank bolt or tensioner bolt, and appears rushed a bit.

This is why it took me 5 hours to do headgasket and timing belt at same time. wanted everything clean, set correctly, and done per tech manual.

Good job on having patience and checking everything out.

I personally would have missed that loose sloppy crank key. Good fucking catch!
Thanks, yes definitely rushed and maybe self-taught...

I have learned over the years that patience and accuracy means less chance of having to do it all again because of something silly. Take the time to do it right the first time.

And you probably would have noticed that key, there was at least 5 of play in either direction. I noticed when starting the bolt, the pulley shifted but the crank stayed put. Uh oh. Lol

Also found a nice crack in the radiator top plastic section.

So new radiator and hoses, which means the entire cooling system has been replaced.

Also compression came back 185 180 185 190

All valve clearances we're .003 over Max spec.

It runs so much better.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Holy #$%^ if I found a rock in the oil pan I'd be having some serious words with the previous owner. thats ridiculous! then again just the fact that it was jacked up by the oil pain is enough for me to seriously question how adept they really could have been...
Hantke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Haha I was pretty flabbergasted when my wife cleaned it off and said it was a rock. Based on the oil deep in it's crevices, I'd say it's been in there longer than the time the guy I bought it from had it. Besides that it was under the baffle and could not get to the oil pickup, even if it could it wouldn't block the flow much and definitely wouldn't have been sucked up by the pump.

So there's not much to gain from getting angry. But thanks for the concern​

Last edited by Sac*HXy5; 06-02-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Classic Man

Cool results for a cool headed guy. Nice man, glad it all worked out.
Quote:
Old 06-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac*HXy5 View Post
Haha I was pretty flabbergasted when my wife cleaned it off and said it was a rock. Based on the oil deep in it's crevices, I'd say it's been in there longer than the time the guy I bought it from had it. Besides that it was under the baffle and could not get to the oil pickup, even if it could it wouldn't block the flow much and definitely wouldn't have been sucked up by the pump.

So there's not much to gain from getting angry. But thanks for the concern​
I think the biggest mystery here, is how the hell does someone get a rock in there? I almost wonder if it wasn't an accident, like maybe a previous owner wanted it to blow up and thought they were being clever, or maybe trying to prove a point that it wouldn't blow up?
Hantke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in