Dome/Trunk Lights Not Working - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 Animag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Dome/Trunk Lights Not Working

As the title states, my dome light and trunk light are not working in my 1994 Del Sol Si. As far as the dome goes, it doesn't work in any position (off/door/on) whether the door is open or not. I do have an aftermarket stereo, but from my research it doesn't make a difference on my year model, since it doesn't have a keyless entry system. Also the lights were working long after installing the stereo, so that's ruled out.

Things I've tried:
Tested both bulbs (LED) with a 12V D-cell battery pack I have and it lights up fine.
Checked the 7.5A fuse under the dash and the 10A fuse under the hood.
Verified that the grounding screw in the dome light is there and secure.
Jumpered the contacts on the dome and screw to see if I could get the light to come on.
Moved the switch VERY slowly to see if the switch was making intermittent contact.
Removed the switch to inspect the wires and connectors. Their fine.

So after all that... Anything else I may have missed before going online to find a new dome switch? Or would the switch even have an effect on the trunk light?

Last edited by Animag771; 04-27-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Animag771 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

For 1, a lot of led's are directional.
2. Did you VERIFY power with a test light at the dome light?
3. Did you verify a ground at the dome light, with a test light
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 Animag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherchris View Post
For 1, a lot of led's are directional.
2. Did you VERIFY power with a test light at the dome light?
3. Did you verify a ground at the dome light, with a test light
Thanks for the response.
1. I know, I labeled the positive side of the LEAD with a red sharpie and tested both directions anyway.
2 & 3. I don't own a test light
Old 04-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

You should get one, they are fairly inexpensive and a great tool.to have, without it, your just throwing your hotdog down the hallway hoping to hit something
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Test you switches for continuity or replace them.

<$10

1995 HONDA CIVIC 1.6L L4 Door Jamb Switch | RockAuto

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2017, 07:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well I feel dumb... But hey sometimes it's the little things. So there are a few empty slots by my dome light fuse and I guess while I was in there checking fuses one day I put the fuse back in the wrong slot. Didn't realize until I looked up a fuse diagram (my car didn't come with a fuse panel cover). I pulled it out of the empty and put it into the CORRECT slot and everything lights up perfectly.

Last edited by Animag771; 05-08-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animag771 View Post
Well I feel dumb... But hey sometimes it's the little things. So there are a few empty slots by my dome light fuse and I guess while I was in there checking fuses one day I put the fuse back in the wrong slot. Didn't realize until I looked up a fuse diagram (my car didn't come with a fuse panel cover). I pulled it out of the empty and put it into the CORRECT slot and everything lights up perfectly.
everyone does something dumb at some point in time! the longer you've spent working on stuff the more things you'll find that just make you say "what in tarnation were you thinking???" misplacing a fuse isn't that bad, I've seen people misplace piston rings before...
Hantke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in