Weird idle issue - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Weird idle issue

so i own a boosted D16z6 and recently my clutch line blew so i had to replace the hole system in order to finally get pressure to my clutch. Anyway, ive noticed that ever since i put all my couplers and piping back on (i had to take them off in order to have access to the clutch lines) my car now seems to have surging idle at times and sometimes rev hangs when i shift (it literally stays at the rpm of when i press in the clutch to shift).

i live in montreal and its currently -1 Celsius and ive had people told me it could be just because of the cold weather but i doubting thats the case.

I also doubt i have a vacuum leak because all my lines look pretty new.

anyone have any thoughts?
domoisback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Make sure you didn't kink the throttle cable somewhere or the cruise control cable and make sure they are routed properly. Also the throttle cable could be sticking if it is going bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
Make sure you didn't kink the throttle cable somewhere or the cruise control cable and make sure they are routed properly. Also the throttle cable could be sticking if it is going bad.
no kink in the throttle cable and i was actually thinking of deleting the cruise control unit, would that help? i suspected that it could be the throttle cable sticking however when i pull on it by hand it never seems to stick
Old 03-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

You didn't disturb any vacuum lines when doing this?

The clutch system is 100% independent and uses no electronics or vacuum so I just don't see how fixing this would cause another problem unless you removed (on purpose or accidental) something to get to the system.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
You didn't disturb any vacuum lines when doing this?

The clutch system is 100% independent and uses no electronics or vacuum so I just don't see how fixing this would cause another problem unless you removed (on purpose or accidental) something to get to the system.
none at all, could be by coincidence that when i fix one problem another one appears.

i was thinking it might be the Idle Air control valve?
Old 03-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 Animag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enough

IACV or FITV were my first thoughts, but I don't see how these could be affected by changing the clutch. Like you said, could be a coincidence. Worth checking, couldn't hurt and it's easy enough.

Oh, found this thread on HT. It might help.
End all idle, surge, bounce, etc. problems

Last edited by Animag771; 03-24-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Animag771 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animag771 View Post
IACV or FITV were my first thoughts, but I don't see how these could be affected by changing the clutch. Like you said, could be a coincidence. Worth checking, couldn't hurt and it's easy enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by domoisback View Post
no kink in the throttle cable and i was actually thinking of deleting the cruise control unit, would that help? i suspected that it could be the throttle cable sticking however when i pull on it by hand it never seems to stick
Ill have a look at that thread, thank you

as for the cruise control unit i just finished removing it and still the same problem
Old 03-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

If it turns out to be the IACV try soaking it in WD40 for a while, the master tech at the honda dealer near me said to do that before buying a new one.
Jim93eg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Ive seen people jam their charge pipes into their throttle body and cause weird throttle issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 Animag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enoughAnimag771 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim93eg View Post
If it turns out to be the IACV try soaking it in WD40 for a while, the master tech at the honda dealer near me said to do that before buying a new one.
I fixed mine once by taking it off and spraying it out with carb cleaner. Worked great
Old 04-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animag771 View Post
I fixed mine once by taking it off and spraying it out with carb cleaner. Worked great
Is it possible it could be the tune because the car's tuned for warmer weather. It seems to be a bit better now that its warmer outside
Old 04-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Is it possible it could be the tune because the car's tuned for warmer weather. It seems to be a bit better now that its warmer outside
Well, you do get wide temperature ranges where you are.
On the other hand, isn't dealing with air density partly what an ECU's for? (I note that a typical range in inland Northern Japan is -10 to +30 C (14 to 86 F)

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Weird idles during colder weather are usually FITV related in my experience. I suppose your tune could have something to do with it, but can't say for certain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
built, d16z6, idle, issue, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in