Honda D Series Forum banner

D16z6 in (ef) 90 si keeps blowing distributors

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mattliston 
#1 ·
Hey guys thanks in advance for any help on this.

I swapped a d16z6 into a 90 civic si shell for a friend and it worked great for about 2500 miles......

It's using a p28 with a s300 and an obd0-obd1 conversion harness all was well.

It recently stopped running it didn't have any spark. I replaced the distributor and then It ran fine for about 50 miles then it happened again.

I checked the grounds it has 2 big ones in the factory locations same setup I use on my b16b e.g. Coupe.
any ideas guys I'm kinda stumped

#2 ·
if you are suing ebay distributors, they are completely hit or miss.

I suggest buying a denso ignition control module and an accel ignition coil. that kinda forces a real brand name for parts, and while installing those, make sure internal wiring is in good condition.

since its converted to OBD1, check EVERY wire connection related to igniton.

also, if you are using an OBD1 engine harness, check the plugs near the oil filter. those are "bridge" plugs/caps and they are responsible for making sure all 12volt reference signals are matched. VERY important

#8 ·
if it ruined an OEM distributor, you have a problem.

BUT I must ask.

How do YOU define "ruined"??

nothing happening? spark that is random?

No spark?

Very possible you simply have an ecu taking a shit.

#11 ·
Just to put some closure on this put some dielectric grease on the ecu and distributor conections as well as the grounds, replaced the distributor with an oem unit and all has been well for over 600 miles now thanks for the advice guys!

#12 ·
good to hear. the price sucks donkey balls for the OEM setup, but knowing you can attain 10, 15 years out of it means you have zero worries

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.