Eagles and vitaras - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2017, 02:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 Jfab is learning the way of the DJfab is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Eagles and vitaras

Hey guys I have question for some one who may know.

I have a set of eagle rods with Je high comp pistons, i bought them put together. I am finally getting around to building my turbo block again. I was going to use those eagle rods with my vitaras. The machine shop guy told me i would need to get different rods. I dont have the equip to press out the wrist pin on the je pistons. Does any know if that is true? Once he presses the Je pistons out I cant use the free floating wrist pin design?

Thank you.

James
Jfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

I thought vitaras used floating pins......why are they pressed?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

he currently has high comp pistons that are pressed but wants to put vitaras on the same rods now.

my guess as to why the machine shop wants new rods would be due to rating them? not sure if reheating is a good idea or not? idk i dont see a problem with it. also possible after using pressed wrist pins its changes the inner diameter of the little end on the rod and making too much clearance for the floating wrist pin.

but again idk.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....

compression height difference between the two pistons? could need a different length rod?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 flat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Eagle makes press fit rods?

I thought they were all bushed for floating pins.

Got a pic?
flat_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!

Your comp is going to be super low with those pistons. Tuning techniques have improved greatly in the last few years and the compression hieght is vastly different between OEM spec and Vitaras. Plus the dish on Vitaras was like 14cc or 11cc dish depending on which ones you purchased. I remember playing with the calculator and it saw a 7:1 comp at the lowest. Stock on a z6 is 9:1. Better to either get custom length rods or different pistons

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 04:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have used eagle/vitara on my setup last time and didnt have an issue with it, my question is in regards to the rods not being able to be used with floating wrist pins after a pressed in one was used.

Thank you guys for the info.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Press fit = interference fit.

Floating fit = there is clearance.

You can always go to floating from press, but not the other way around.

You can make a hole bigger, shrinking it is harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

That's what I was thinking as well. Thank you for the info. Wasn't sure if anyone had expierence doing that. I think my brother has another set of eagles off a vitara set up he had, he may let me use.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Do you have pictures?
RebornFromAshes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2017, 02:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

I will grab pictures of the rods with high comp pistons. It looks like the wrist pin is a press fit on the piston. The rod moves freely on the wrist pin side to side.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

Pistons are not press fit . . . it's a metal pin in an aluminum piston . . . the piston hole would expand thereby making your "press-fit" a floating fit. Regardless of whether your rods are press-fit or floating, the wrist pin is going to be .0005" or so loose in the bore in the piston.

Pistons either have a groove for a c-clip/wire-loc or space for a bushing against the cylinder for floating or nothing for a press-fit, in which case the interference fit is in the small end of the rod.

If the rods have a pressed in liner made of bronze, they are floating and you need to retain the pin by clips in the piston or bushings. If the rod doesn't have a liner in the small end, then it is more likely press-fit and doesn't require a retention method for the wrist pin in the piston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfab View Post
I will grab pictures of the rods with high comp pistons. It looks like the wrist pin is a press fit on the piston. The rod moves freely on the wrist pin side to side.
If the rod moves ON the wrist pin instead of WITH the wrist pin, then you have floating rods.

Last edited by Pro-SeriesFab; 02-28-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Pro-SeriesFab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thank you for the info. I will try and snap some pics just to confirm.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Here are some pictures of the movement on the wrist pin. My eagle votaries were the same way.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

those are floating pin pistons, I can see the C clips.

(I don't think anyone makes forged honda press rods/pistons)
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Remove the C clip and the wrist pin should slide out.
RebornFromAshes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunnaPro-SeriesFab is da #1 stunna

Spirolock removal is somewhat of a pain . . . you'll have to fish it out with a small flathead and go around in a circle with the flathead.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

Ah. I guess I didnt look closely enough at it! Thank you for the help all. I am going to post these up for sale soon, as I wont need/use them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in