Picked up a new project - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2017, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 markl will become famous soon enoughmarkl will become famous soon enoughmarkl will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Picked up a new project

Hello

I was not looking for one, but I just picked up a non-running 99 Civic EX, Automatic. I found it on craigslist. I went last night to look at it and the original d16y8 "blew up" and someone put in a D16Z6 and then sold the project to the guy I bought it from. He tried to get it going and ran out of knowledge. It will be trailered to my garage Saturday.

When I inspected it, I found the knock sensor and the Crankshaft sensor (by the oil pump) disconnected as you would suspect. It has a new D16z6 Distributor, and a RYwire obd1 to odb2 distributor adapter harness. There is a P2P ECU in it. I really do not know more than this, I will know Saturday when it get to the shop. It is all clean, new gaskets, belt hoses,etc.

My goal is to get it running as an OBD2 car with no check engine light to pass New York state inspection.

A few questions.
What will the lack of a Knock sensor do ?
What about the Crankshaft Sensor? Do it need to be connected? I would think yes. OR can I do this procedure?
.:FFS TechNet : CKF Bypass Trick :.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Just buy a knock sensor and plug it in to it. It doesn't need to be bolted in to the block.

That link will work for the bypass trick, however do yourself a favor and do not use those quick splice things. They are junk.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2017, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

There is a bypass trick for the knock sensor. You basically wire two peizo buzzers, ground the (-) and the (+) goes to the knock sensor connector then you tape the buzzers to your fuel rail. I would post a link but I am not allowed to.
RebornFromAshes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2017, 02:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 markl will become famous soon enoughmarkl will become famous soon enoughmarkl will become famous soon enough

I have a Knock Sensor that I can plug in. I am a bit of a pack rat with D series parts, sometimes it pays off.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 Jfab is learning the way of the DJfab is learning the way of the D

I have a 99 ex, i have the knock sensor code and have been driving like that for a 1000 miles and dont notice any real difference. I believe mine is due to the cheap ebay knock sensor.
Jfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Update.
I have about one hour to look at it.
I put a new battery in it and it had a HARD time spinning the engine. Also it was making a squeal. I starting checking things out and could not turn the engine over with a breaker bar. Found the alternator seized. Removed the belt and now the engine is free.
Found the alternator belt is installed backwards. I am going to flip it , adjust valves and do a leak down test before I do anything else.

Last edited by markl; 02-12-2017 at 04:05 PM.
markl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 11:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

after a compression check, make sure the ignition timing is correct, and be sure to offset the mechanical timing properly.

the z6 and y8 do not have matching timing requirements, and the y8 ecu will be over correcting where the z6 is set.

you may have to go back and forth, setting mechanical timing, jumping service plug, moving distributor, and flopping between them.

if the motor is strong and healthy, this will merely be a running better type of thing. if the motor is down on compression, or ignition system (module/coil/plugs) are worn, this might be a "fuck this sucks" to a "great" type of situation

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

I will have time over the next few days to look at the car.
So far, I adjusted the valves, and the car started right up. The seized alternator was the issue! The oil pressure light was not working I had a massive oil leak. I thought the oil pressure sender was not installed, so I removed the intake manifold to get a better look and found the oil filter loose
Old 02-24-2017, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Good thing I removed the intake manifold. I saw it had holes for the idle air (the ones above the injectors). This is a 99 d16y8 manifold on a Z6. I plugged the holes with JB weld. I put the manifold back on,started the car and found the oil pan is leaking at the gasket.
This thing was overfilled with oil. IT has what I believe a y9 oil sipstick in it. IT is broken at the top hole, and it was still showing a lot of oil.

Next is a new gasket and willing with the correct amount of oil.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl View Post
Good thing I removed the intake manifold. I saw it had holes for the idle air (the ones above the injectors). This is a 99 d16y8 manifold on a Z6. I plugged the holes with JB weld.
This is not really for idle air, but for passing through additional air directly to the injectors when the engine is cold.

Blues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Did you get it to inspection? My 98 Civic Dx with a D16z6 just passed here in AZ last week. I did CKF trick, wired secondary o2 sensor, and I had to install the EVAP system that the car was missing. I do not have a knock sensor and the ECU has not looked for the knock sensor and I dont have a code for it.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am getting back to this project.
After alot of thought, I have decided to dump the d16z6 and go to a block that has the crank sensor and knock sensor.
I have a 97 Civic HX (d16y5)which runs really well bu suffers from bad rust.
My (new) plan is to grab the engine from this car. I will put a Y8 head on this engine.
The Z6 I will put in my 91 rt4wd.

Are the y5 and Y8 shortblocks the same? Are the injector the same?
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Why are you going thru all that trouble of switching engines. Just bypass the CKF and wire in two piezo transducers for the knock sensor.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

why dont you go and check honda oem part numbers to see if the block and injectors match up?

injectors are not same

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2017, 12:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

What did you decide to do? Did you switch engines?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

This project has been on the back burner.
I got a call from a friend who owns a shop and says a lady gave him a 98 Civic EX % speed instead of paying her bill. I got the car for 200. Everything works, including the AC

It will not pass inspection because of a check engine light and I think there is a small hole in the floor. The engine is a low mileage with new timing belt,ETC.

MY "new" plan is to swap the engine into my Car and sell the shell. The current d16z6 will go in my RT4WD.

The new Car is a manual. I plan on changing the original car to manual. I believe the OBD plugs are different from the 88 and 99 so I might swap the harness also. This is true, correct?

I am going to sell the green shell once I do the swap.

Mark

Last edited by markl; 07-29-2017 at 06:55 AM.
markl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2017, 03:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

96-98 engine harness is different from 99-00 and you can't swap them. You need to use the 96-98 harness in a 96-98 chassis and the 99-00 in a 99-00 chassis.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2017, 07:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

How much different is the harness? I know the OBDII plugs are different.

Going to sell this shell once I pull the parts.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl View Post
How much different is the harness? I know the OBDII plugs are different.

Going to sell this shell once I pull the parts.
96-98 has 3 Ecu plugs for 5 speed and 99-00 has 2 Ecu plugs on the engine harness. The 3rd Ecu plug is part of the cabin harness. The green plugs are also different

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #20 (permalink)

OK this project has been sitting, and I just got back to it last week.
To recap, I am swapping a 98 d16z6 and manual tranny into a 1999 EX which originally had a automatic.

When I had the 99 it had a d16z6 installed. I want to use this engine in my rt4wd wagon.I got it running in the 99 EX chassis. IT was but It would not rev past 5500 RPM, sounded like injector cutoff.

So I installed the 1998 engine and manual trans in the 99 EX. I used the original harness from the 99(wired for an auto car). I used an ECU from a 1999 EX manual car (OBD2B).

I have a few issues.

1. I changed from a 3 wire to 2 wire iavc . I moved the wire from B6 to B23 on the B plug. I am getting a icac P code and the iavc is not working.

2. When I rev it up, it STILL will not rev past 5500?!

I have been thinking about swapping the manual OBD2a harness into the car. I know I will have to swap the engine harness and the dash, but what other harness? taillights. headlights?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in