Shifter click? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2017, 01:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 Jfab is learning the way of the DJfab is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Shifter click?

Hey guys I have searched and couldnt really find the issue that I am having. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue or a solution.

99 civic ex. Has a short shifter on it, not sure of brand. More than likely an ebay one. I bought it with it.

My issue is lately I have noticed when I switch gears that I get like a 1 time click pop noise every time I shift.

I have ordered new bushing for the shifter but not sure if its the shifter it self going bad or transmission issue.

Any one have any input?

Thank you in advance!
Jfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 44 Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Whoshot is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

You got any homies?

Call one, have him or her come by, sit in your car while you climb under or along side the passenger fender. Have them go into gear, see if the click is audible. Then slide down the car and see if it is audible under the shift lever. Try and pinpoint before determining cause.

If you only get it while the car is running its in the transmission. Shift forks maybe, or shims, allowing things to go out of alignment so when you engage the gears you are not going in smooth any more.

Just a couple ideas that came to me if this was my car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
R.I.P. - NN4S
R.I.P. - Cali Noob

You guys are gone but never forgotten, we live each day to the fullest for you, who cannot see the new day we often forget is amazing.

xbox gamer tag: angeloah
Whoshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Mine clicks for all six gears, Did it when I installed the B&M shifter, still does it today.

Likely the shifter amplifying the noise. I know my bearing cage (plastic) is worn out as the shifter to VERY noisy cruising on the highway.

I'm going back to stock with a fresh shifter bushing kit from NAPA this spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the responses. I am going to see if I can hear it out side the car. It comes and goes. If I haven't driven the car for a day and go the 3 miles to work I get nothing. After driving to auto show around down town Detroit for 30 minutes it came back. I did notice that the front bushing on the stabilizer link is completely trashed. I can push the shaft up and down with a ton of movement.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

No slop in my linkage, replaced it with new when I put the shifter in, but it "clicks" like sound effects in F&F movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 02:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yes. That is a good way to describe the sound mine makes too. Mine also has no slop in linkage. I had to order the linkage bushing and have to wait for that to come in. I will look at the shift from the bottom side when I install the bushing.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well installed new bushing tonight. Shifting felt a lot more crisp, but the click seems to be more consistent now. I didn't have any one to shift while I was under the car. going to try and investigate this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in