P0505 fluctuating idle - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default P0505 fluctuating idle

Hey all

I'm currently getting a p0505 code after I calibrated my TPS cause it was throwing a code for being out of calibration. Now when I'm driving, at a red light my Rpms will sit at 1.5k and I'll start getting fluctuating idle. What could be doing this? The tps? Iacv? Vac?
Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2016, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

make sure there isnt any vac leaks then do the idle relearn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

If I never did the idle learning process, would that throw the p0505 code?

I replaced the IACV and it didn't fix the issue, I even went and tightened down some of the vacuumn hoses and no fix.

Last edited by Fleming; 12-20-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Just checked for vac leaks, sprayed the vac lines with starter fluid and there was no change in idle. The car is currently idling at 1200 Rpms

So we got no vac leaks
IACV is good.

Could it be because I set the idle screw before I calibrated the tps?
Old 12-22-2016, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

check your fast idle throttle valve, block off the lower port on the throttle body with the intake off while the engine is running and is at operating temperature. if you get a large reduction in rpm's its because the FITV is leaking and needs replaced/blocked.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleming View Post
Could it be because I set the idle screw before I calibrated the tps?
Adjusting the set screw is fine, if you do it right:

Clean out the bore of the throttlebody, oil it and the throttle plate lightly, then back off the throttle set screw until the plate sticks in the bore when closed, then tighten the set screw just enough so that the throttle plate no longer sticking and lock the set screw. Open the throttle and snap it closed a couple times just to make sure it isnt sticking.

The whole goal of this is to get the throttle plate to close as tight as possible without sticking in the bore.

Then adjust the TPS.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

I ended up finding the problem.

First the timing was behind, and created a low and rough idle, then played around with the air adjustment screw then the idle stop screw. Got it all tweaked in real nice and then it was good to go.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Scratch that, code came back like a bitch and it felt like I was on a roller coaster ride with this spuratic idle
Old 01-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Bumping this,

The car has trouble idling in the morning, I have to give it gas to control the idle for a little bit, after that it idles fine. If I drive for a while, the idle would start to idle high at around 1200 and then the code will pop. When the code pops I have erratic idle.

So far I replaced the IACV
Dialed the timing in better
Adjusted the idle screw and air mixture screw

Still no luck.

The car has a skunk2 intake manifold matched with a skunk2 throttle body.

Throttle plate isn't sticking either

Last edited by Fleming; 01-01-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

You have vacuum leaks. Your method of testing, is not even close to good enough. You concluded your car has no vacuum leaks because fuel didnt idle it up. This isnt a maf car. Try again and find ur vacuum leak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
You have vacuum leaks. Your method of testing, is not even close to good enough. You concluded your car has no vacuum leaks because fuel didnt idle it up. This isnt a maf car. Try again and find ur vacuum leak.
Tried again, checked the throttle body gasket and its causing a vac leak
Old 01-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in