Honda D Series Forum banner

Oil-waterway H/G failure

658 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  v8killaz 
#1 ·
What can cause oil-water way head gasket failure?

Found this today. Although the car is showing no other symptoms of head gasket failure which is odd. I'm no expert though- Ive never had one fail on me.

See less See more
#2 ·
HGs are cheap. I'd go buy one along with intake/exhaust gaskets. And replace them.

Overheating your engine multiple times can cause your HG to start leaking. I'm sure there are many other reasons.
However draining your coolant and flushing the system and putting new coolant in once every couple years helps prevent this as well.

Could also be a cracked cylinder wall or head. That seems highly unlikely on a stock engine.

#3 ·
Pressurized oil runs up behind the head bolt between cyl 2 & 3, any warpage there could push oil right into the coolant. Other odd situations could cause oil to leak into a coolant passage at the gasket from an oil drain when cold, then seal when it heats & expands.

Bottom line is you have oil in your coolant. You can pressure-test the coolant system, preferably when the engine & coolant is hot (not very safe to uncork it that way), then see if your oil shows sign of coolant in it. With luck it's a gasket, but there are tests you should do first before just slapping a new gasket on regardless of how cheap they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.