Honda D Series Forum banner

Slow's at half a tank...

596 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  gftgrill 
G
#1 ·
Ok I am sure this subject has been hit on, but not specifically what I need. I see the a mind of it's own post, and I read it, but it isn't exactly what I need to know. My problem is, When I have around a Half of a Tank of gas, the acceleration is so slow. When I get to about that much gas, the car drives rough, and it takes like 10 seconds to get from 30 to 40 mph even with the pedal all the way mashed. Could it be my fuel pump? or something with the ignition? Also when I crank her up in the morning, she will sometimes sputter and sound like she is firing on two cylinders and it will smell of old burnt gas. I can then turn her off and re crank and she runs fine. Does anyone have any problems like this or know the cure? She is a 93 Civic DX Hatch, with a D15B7, Automatic Tranny. Moderatley upgraded. Thanks for reading.. This is my first post, hope I did it right.

#4 ·
First, welcome to the forums, second, i sympathize with you, i've had a similar problem for a few years now, only mine is more simple (until recently, check my recent posts) the lower the tank, the less power, which i believe to be the fault of the fuel pump.

In your case, does this happen only around half tank? not at full or on E?

G
#5 ·
samuraiz said:
In your case, does this happen only around half tank? not at full or on E?
The lower the gas the more evident this problem is. My bud, who has a 94 civic hb dx said his doesnt do it. He said the problem with the acceleration is that I am running out of gear. My problem is, that it only does it when I am starting to get low on gas. After filling up, it seems to go away, but 100 miles on that tank... leaves me right at half a tank, it starts to slow and bog. I checked my plugs, all but one were clean. The first one from the left to the right, i pulled it out of the valve cover and it has what looks like rust around the rim that seals the sparkplug wire. The o-rings were all good, just that first one had some black carbon like around the plug and it also showed a little rust colored powder. Is that cylinder going bad? Thanks again for the help and the warm welcome. If anyone has any idea about my problems please help out. I am not a complete n00b to hondas, I've had 2 Crx's and an Integra, all had their own little problems. This one has me stumped though. Thanks again.

G
#7 ·
Thanks for the help. I am going to invest in new plugs and wires. I tried the Injector cleaner before in one of my crx's. It made the car drive terrible. So did the fuel booster stuff, like "add to make 101 octane" crap. I worry about doing it to my daily driver because I have no other street legal car at the moment... Well, I guess i have to wait before I do anything else. Raining like a mofo down here and I can't get the car down the street... roads are flooded. Thanks again for all the info.
-Rit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.