Honda D Series Forum banner

Clutch Pedal Engaging/Disengaging

570 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Jomama 
#1 ·
So last night, I'm driving, and all is normal. I get to where I'm going, park the car. Come out to leave a while later (4-5 hours maybe?), I go to drive off, and my clutch pedal has a LOT of free play in it. Like the clutch would grab a lot sooner/easier than normal when releasing the pedal, and it takes a lot more distance pushing the pedal down for it to engage. What would suddenly cause this?

#3 ·
Honestly, it was 3AM and I didnt care. lol. But, it's also been raining on/off out here for the past few days, so even if there was I wouldnt of noticed it. I'll check my fluid after work, but I just thought it was odd how it suddenly was like that after driving it almost an hour and a half before parking it and it was fine...

#5 · (Edited)
My slave cyl gave out on my del sol and it did the same thing. Its easy to check, just peel the boot back and see if there is any fluid there. If not then it may be the master and you might have a leak inside the car on the carpet. Feel around the clutch rod and see if its moist.

EDIT: Also check fluid level, it shouldnt ever be low. If it is then it is leaking somewhere, also master cyl can go bad without leaking on the floor. Sometimes pumping the pedal will make it feel normal again and that mean probably a master cyl.

#6 ·
So, I checked the fluid after I left work and it was a LITTLE low. Filled it up, and clutch was back to normal. This morning, it was back to being messed up again, but not AS bad as the first time. Didnt have time to check fluid, but I also didnt see any fluid on the ground when I left. I did notice when putting fluid in last night that the fluid in the reservior was really dark/black looking. Is this normal? It never got that dark in my old Civic...

#7 · (Edited)
black fluid is normal because of all of the components of the system wearing and breaking down (rubber parts, hoses).

EDIT:

Keep an eye on your fluid level and if it keeps getting a little low then it is leeking somewhere.

In the image above (generic picture) if you see the black boot all you have to do is peel the boot back away from the cylinder a little and see if there is any fluid in there, it should be dry. If it isnt than thats where you leak is. Yours should be located right in front of everything near radiator.

#8 ·
Thanks man. Yea I know how and where everything is. Definately not a noob when it comes to Honda's. Just never, EVER had any issues w/my clutch or anything related to my clutch. I've changed 'em and whatnot, hell even done a 5 spd swap. Just never had any issues with my own. lol I just checked the fluid level and its good. Felt around the slave cylinder, but didnt feel any fluid. Will do a more thorough check later on when I get time.

#9 ·
Happened to me, replaced master and slave with new exedy ones and it didn't fix it. No leaks or anything.. I ended up replacing the PP and it fixed it. My pp was worn..

Reactions: EJ6Civic27
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.