Honda D Series Forum banner

low idle

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr.Fodo 
#1 ·
I'm quite a noob here and I hope some one can help me with my low idle problem. My idle is always low (around 600rpm w/ ac and 800rpm w/o ac). This started when my friend and I tried to combine a PH15 carb block and a ported/polished D16A VTEC head from Japan. We already advanced the distributor and it's really way beyond the dowels of the distributor to compensate the ported intakes.

Since the block used to be carborated, we by-passed alot of sensors so my "check engine" indicator is always on.

I'm planning to install an after market adjustable cam gear since I heard that this might solve the problem.

Anyway, that's a brief of what we did. I hope some one can help me with this problem.

#7 ·
check what cel's youre throwing first. then fix those. then adjust the idle screw on the throttle body and for god sakes redo your timing to what it should be. dont ever try to adjust your idle by the dizzy, your just messing up your timing.

#8 ·
Guys thanks! But i've tried all of those before but i never helped. I've adjusted the idle screw, the screw in the ICV, advanced the TPS, used a timing light.

I'll take photos of what i've done with my engine.

Btw i just wanna share this, my engine can still run even w/o the MAP/NAC sensor (not sure what sensor that is that has a plug near the TPS/ idle screw). Really weird. They say that a honda EFI won't run w/o this.

#9 ·
What sensors did you have to bypass, and why did you have to mess with the tps? do you have slack in your throttle cable?

You might be able to run with no MAP (the sensor on the top correct?), but I would try to not run it without one since the ecu uses it to determine engine load. TPS can't be the only parametric to determine load since you can have high load and low throttle (like going uphill).

And your confirming you used a timing light and know its timed correctly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.