May be a dumb question. Why other motors make so much more whp on a stock block? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default May be a dumb question. Why other motors make so much more whp on a stock block?

than a d series? why is it that a b16 can make well over 300+whp on stock internals while a d16 can only make 200~250ish on stock internals? are the rods that much stronger in a b16 than a d16? i just dont get that.. the same w/ like k-series.. they can go like 600hp .. and same for s2000 motors .. not sure what the name is .. and also h22s .. just wondering what it is that makes them less liekly to blow up
th3slowkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

BrandonPettit It's a JDM Star Bitches....BrandonPettit It's a JDM Star Bitches....BrandonPettit It's a JDM Star Bitches....BrandonPettit It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Displacement...they has it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BrandonPettit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 srslygrowup is a name known to allsrslygrowup is a name known to allsrslygrowup is a name known to allsrslygrowup is a name known to allsrslygrowup is a name known to allsrslygrowup is a name known to allsrslygrowup is a name known to allsrslygrowup is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonPettit View Post
Displacement...they has it!
What the fuck are you talking about? What about the B16? 1.6 liters is 1.6 liters. It's the exact same displacement. The reason that certain motors can make more power is the quality and durability of the components that make up the engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that I don't care.
srslygrowup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

EKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

x2 on displacement. plus 2cams>1cam. You can blow up anything. All in the tune. The other motors are built tougher. Plus say a d16y8 starts with 128hp at the flywheel. A b18c has almost 60hp more to start with. So for a guy with B series to hit the 300whp mark is like a d16y8 hitting the 230+whp mark. Thats been done time and time again. Basic rule of thumb once you hit double your stock output (flywheel hp) expect some issues. As for 600hp on a stock k series id like to see that. You can do some crazy things with a k20 but god damn 600hp. Thats alot of stress for a stock engine with such high comp to begin with. Just my 2 cents.
EKboostedY8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

the k20 might hit 600hp one time before the rods start coming through the block

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Black Dynamite

Rep Power: 23 Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!Clutchmaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Clutchmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak0885 View Post
the k20 might hit 600hp one time before the rods start coming through the block
fo sho my K20z3 already has the compression ratio of a Z06 with half the cylinders. I agree with some post above. Quality of parts is what makes the difference. Same reason you buy forged rods and piston to push a D or any other model engine for that matter way beyond it's intended limits. You want more power...need stronger components. Some just come from the factory with better shit in them than others
Clutchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 12 dan15b smells like Boratdan15b smells like Boratdan15b smells like Boratdan15b smells like Boratdan15b smells like Boratdan15b smells like Borat

d16 rod/stroke ratio: 1.52-1.62
b16 rod/stroke ratio: 1.62-1.74
k series rod/stroke ratio: 2

don't quote me on that, but the figures are close enough to accurate. the dohc parts are more resilient and have less resistance to work against so it seems logical that they have the capacity to put more power to the wheels and less power overcoming internal resistance like the D. the K valvetrain is also superior to the B, making up for the additional valvetrain resistance that the B has compared to the D. iirc...
dan15b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

alrite .. anyway .. theres a stock k series that made like 600hps .. i just saw it on turbo d16 i think .. and i remember seeing a video of some guy dumping 42 psi into his stock k series .. and then it went boom.

but back to the hp thing .. displacement might have something to do with it .. but what i'm saying is why is it that d16 rods will break after like 250hp ... but b16's will handle 250 with ease... is it the internals? are they much stronger on teh b?

heres the thread i'm talking about
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread...&cmd=addnotify

Last edited by th3slowkid; 11-03-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 christbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to allchristbone20 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

dont forget about compression.
h22s have a much higher compression ratio compared to most d's and b's.

i had a boosted h22, just added a thicker headgasket to lower the compression down and only street tuned it and worked fine.

the higher compression you have, the harder to tune properly.

the weakest link with the d series is its rods.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

EKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcano

I should have worded my post differently. The parts are stronger. And the engines are alot different. Read this: Its a great write up with soooo much info

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ine/index.html
Old 11-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

plsn and simple.
the d series is a smaller motor from the factory meant to make less power.
a b or h series make considerably more power stock. so there internals have to be built to handle the everyday tug and stress of more power. a d series(made for its gas mileage not power) parts are thin and light.
there what you need and nothing more. really. less weight of rotating assembly better gas mileage...(i beleive)
basically tho.
fuck all the others.
D's ftw. any other letter and your just followin tha crowd.
sohc95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

alrite .. yea its making more sense ..

i was thinking of maybe goin b20 style just to get a little extra low end
Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I have a couple "how to build honda horsepower books". They are great, tons of information. These were my bible when I first considered a honda. They cover quite a bit on the d-series and different dynos with parts. They explain every aspect of modifying your car to make more power.

I think a paid $25 for one at borders and $20 for another more technical one

http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Hond...5776179&sr=1-4

Last edited by EKboostedY8; 11-04-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

yea i might take a look at it .. i have a turbo d16 right now .. i'm making 178whp at 6 psi. i'm just thikning about all the wonderful things i'm gunna do when i graduate college.. and a turbo d16 is nice .. but i'm still gunna consider other things .. i've never had a b sereis .. and a built b20 just seems fun
Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Well?

Rep Power: 33 1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 38 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1.5Slowmatic

the rods are stronger, thats why. why do you think people use machined LS rods for D-series motors. Plus the 2 cams to 1 cam and the heads flow alot better than b heads. The d is simply a budget oriented motor, its not really a performace motor, although it can be pretty wicked when tuned right
Quote:
Nate is seriously one of those angry white men you read about all the time.

Headlight Harness DIY Upgrade
DIY Ice Box Intake
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #7
1.5Slowmatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 DirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to DirtyDseriesWOOT

rods in a d are like tooth picks

94 RHD samba green -SOLD!

uhh rep me or somthing!

Professional FireFighter

DirtyDseriesWOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5Slowmatic View Post
the rods are stronger, thats why. why do you think people use machined LS rods for D-series motors. Plus the 2 cams to 1 cam and the heads flow alot better than b heads. The d is simply a budget oriented motor, its not really a performace motor, although it can be pretty wicked when tuned right
Exactly, the D-series is the economy motor, it was never meant to push the 200hp barrier although the crank is a stout piece. The B-series and the K are meant to be more performance oriented. Plus the R/S ratio as mentioned before.

doesn't mean the D is bad though, just a little underbuilt in some aspects. nothing a good set of rods can't fix.

SOLD

...Gone back to the Chevy world again, but i'll be back behind the seat of a Honda again someday
Koots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

check out cheesefrog they had a k20 forgot the horsepower but they accidentally hit overboost all stock internals
es01civy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 04:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of the D

Rep Power: 26 Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....

Not only is the d-series an economy motor for the most part, it's also the oldest design. The B-series used what Honda had learned previously and applied it to a more performance oriented motor. The K-series is pretty much the same, although Honda even threw away some of their own work when the changed to rotation. I'll bet that when the new ?-series comes out, it will be a stronger motor than the K-series and that's actually a very cool thought.

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 04:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!

i didnt feel like reading threw all post but its pretty simple the civic was an economy car ment for good gas milage even the si was an econmy car with a bit more of a sporty feel to it. and integra was a sports car ment to be quick and sporty thus the reason they put biger motors in them. they also put stronger internals in them. look at a d16 and a b16 rod next to each other the b-series will be noticably beefier.

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in