Water cooled turbo - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 13 b0stedjdmhatch will become famous soon enoughb0stedjdmhatch will become famous soon enoughb0stedjdmhatch will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Water cooled turbo

if i have a water cooled turbo do i have to cool it with water or can i jus plug those holes and only use oil?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
b0stedjdmhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

You dont have to but water cooling will preserve the life of the turbo. Just plug em up and keep going

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 xcthc will become famous soon enoughxcthc will become famous soon enoughxcthc will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

why not just spend the few extra bucks and go to Home Depot and get some lines
xcthc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yea you really should hook some water lines up to it, they have it that way for a reason, It shouldnt be that hard to hook it up.
dontpush421 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

DO IT! unless you like spending a paycheck on turbo's DO IT!
apekd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

there is alot of posts on this subject.....search

most aftermarket turbos are not water cooled, the oil cools them. however water cooled turbos oil passages are to small to cool the turbo as they are designed to have water cooling them down. not running water will cut down on the life of your turbo. i have a water cooled turbo going on my car and in a previous post on this subject i came up with an easy way to hook it up.

pull the hose off the backside of your fast idol valve. hook a hose up to it and then to the water feed on the turbo. run the water drain to the other end of the hose that was connected to the fast idol.

i hope that makes sense

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

I have watercooling and I haven't used it since I put on my turbo 2 summers ago......

I'd do it if I got motivated, have a few projects right now, and I have a really clean and easy way to route the lines like TT thermo housing and something like a fitting on the block drain plug. If I have to route the lines past the front of the block it probably won't happen.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdh20 View Post
most aftermarket turbos are not water cooled, the oil cools them. however water cooled turbos oil passages are to small to cool the turbo as they are designed to have water cooling them down. not running water will cut down on the life of your turbo. i have a water cooled turbo going on my car and in a previous post on this subject i came up with an easy way to hook it up.

pull the hose off the backside of your fast idol valve. hook a hose up to it and then to the water feed on the turbo. run the water drain to the other end of the hose that was connected to the fast idol.

i hope that makes sense
good advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 13 b0stedjdmhatch will become famous soon enoughb0stedjdmhatch will become famous soon enoughb0stedjdmhatch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdh20 View Post
there is alot of posts on this subject.....search

i hope that makes sense
yes it makes sense...thanks everyone

Old 11-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 90zchatchy is da #1 stunna90zchatchy is da #1 stunna90zchatchy is da #1 stunna90zchatchy is da #1 stunna90zchatchy is da #1 stunna90zchatchy is da #1 stunna90zchatchy is da #1 stunna

its better to use the water if it suppost to have it thats just my opinion.

I ♥ my Honda

(Bisimoto Engineering)

Alittle Nitrous feed ls coming in 2013
DD 95 integra- intake,fx200 clutchmasters clutch, more to come
Rip 92 civic dx fo do
90zchatchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 txdohczc will become famous soon enoughtxdohczc will become famous soon enoughtxdohczc will become famous soon enough

im pretty sure the turbo company put them there for a reason
txdohczc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 05:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
insert user title here

Rep Power: 51 drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drunkinmaster1 Send a message via Yahoo to drunkinmaster1

what size or type of turbo are you using?

watercooling help prevent the turbos oil from coking or baking when pushed very hard and cooling down.
usually cars that come factory turbod have smaller turbos that are watercooled.
smaller turbos generally produce more heat and are pushed harder than their larger counterparts.
this watercooling will increase the longevity of the turbo.

even larger turbos can benefit from watercooling when used at the track.
hooking up the coolant lines arent that difficult, but thats up to you.

the oil doesnt really cool the turbo much if any. it lubricates the journals that float on a film of oil, similar to the bearings in your car.

heres my view on watercooling.
if its an older cheap used junkyard turbo i wouldn't go through the hassle.
any newer turbo that came with the watercooling option i would def do it.

if its a smaller turbo and youre throwing allot of boost at it youre going to produce a good amount of heat.

if its a large turbo and youre going with a mild boost goal then chances are youre not going to push it that hard
Old 11-05-2008, 05:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 samuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropessamuraiz is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to samuraiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0stedjdmhatch View Post
if i have a water cooled turbo do i have to cool it with water or can i jus plug those holes and only use oil?
Depends on whether or not it's disposable...
Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

i just ran the coolant lines and quit being lazy....by the way its a garret t3/t4

Old 11-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 Y8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

journal bearing turbos can be ran with out water cool....ball bearing turbos is reccomended...reason is because ball bearing's require ONLY very little oil and need the extra water too cool it...journal bearings need a shit load of oil to keep the shaft riding on a thin layer of oil between the bearing and shaft...basically journal bearings get enough oil to keep the turbo cool. i hope this makes sense...sometimes im a retard and cant get the words out right... lol...

Y8pwrdEf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

boosted jdmhatch post up some pics i wanna see how it turned out

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y8pwrdEf View Post
journal bearing turbos can be ran with out water cool....ball bearing turbos is reccomended...reason is because ball bearing's require ONLY very little oil and need the extra water too cool it...journal bearings need a shit load of oil to keep the shaft riding on a thin layer of oil between the bearing and shaft...basically journal bearings get enough oil to keep the turbo cool. i hope this makes sense...sometimes im a retard and cant get the words out right... lol...
i agree, but hybrids dont need a shit load of oil, unless you want to blow out the seals.. thats why most except for borg warners need a restrictor to help with blowing out the oil through the comp seals or turbine seals

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 steinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to allsteinar is a name known to all

Restrictor + no watercooling sounds like a bad idea to me. Hooking up the water is so easy anyway. Do it!

Function > Form
steinar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 04:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 xcthc will become famous soon enoughxcthc will become famous soon enoughxcthc will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinar View Post
Restrictor + no watercooling sounds like a bad idea to me. Hooking up the water is so easy anyway. Do it!

plenty of turbos run a restrictor and no watercooling
xcthc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
eee
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 eee is learning the way of the Deee is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Just change you oil on time or before and you will be fine.
eee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in