My turbo build - winter project - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Smile My turbo build - winter project

so i decided to grab a beater so i can finally boost my D!! heres my plans, i currently have a D16z6 in the car but i plan to put the Z6 head on a SOHC ZC non vtec w/ arp head studs and stock block. i wanna build the head but leave the stock camshaft with an adjustable cam gear. i plan to use a cast iron manifold with a ebay T3/T4 50trim turbo, and turbosmart 38mm wastegate. 3'' downpipe to 2.5'' exhaust w/ 2.5'' charge piping for the cooler. 450cc dsm injectors, 255 walbro, stage 3 clutch w/lsd tranny,just picked up a greddy type RS! AEM electronic boost controller,aem wideband and tuned on crome.

So ya thats it hope i didnt forget much, this my first boost experience so im hoping things work out, ill be posting picks soon, but i really wanna hear your opinion as far as my plans especially with the mini me swap, money isn't so tight but im not tryin to hit 300hp jus as yet lol but i would like to at least break 13s at the track lol.

Last edited by hil330; 10-27-2008 at 07:41 PM.
hil330 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Sounds like fun! GL
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 Spriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Spriggan

your buying a lot of stuff for just a stock bottom end, might as well build it up...? building the head wont really help since the bottom will go out first. 225hp is what i heard to play it safe if the bottom isnt built. save the money for the head work and get the bottom end done first, then you can get to 300 without any serious head work i believe.
Spriggan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spriggan View Post
your buying a lot of stuff for just a stock bottom end, might as well build it up...? building the head wont really help since the bottom will go out first. 225hp is what i heard to play it safe if the bottom isnt built. save the money for the head work and get the bottom end done first, then you can get to 300 without any serious head work i believe.
you can get to 400 or more without any headwork

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak0885 View Post
400!! geese lol, i wanted to do head work so i can raise the rev limiter and i heard it will help spool the turbo faster, am i right? im still thinkin about buildin the the block but how much is that gonna cost rougly?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of the D

Rep Power: 26 Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hil330 View Post
wanna build the head but leave the stock camshaft with an adjustable cam gear.
There's really no gains here with a stock cam. Straight up as Honda intended is pretty much optimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfreak0885 View Post
Yup, just add some race gas and up the boost!

Quote:
400!! geese lol, i wanted to do head work so i can raise the rev limiter and i heard it will help spool the turbo faster, am i right? im still thinkin about buildin the the block but how much is that gonna cost rougly?

New springs and retainers are in order if you want to up the rev limit. You will also need a new cam, since the stock one doesn't make much more power above the stock rev limit. Head porting will help you spool faster and may make you some extra power in the end too. I still see all these mod as seconday IMHO.

Building your block is the place to start. Stock block is only good for 200-225 as Spriggan noted. FJT custom I-beams and a super kit w/Vitaras will run you under $650, and then you'll have the lower end to support the kind of mods you are talking about for the head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
There's really no gains here with a stock cam. Straight up as Honda intended is pretty much optimal.

Yup, just add some race gas and up the boost!

New springs and retainers are in order if you want to up the rev limit. You will also need a new cam, since the stock one doesn't make much more power above the stock rev limit. Head porting will help you spool faster and may make you some extra power in the end too. I still see all these mod as seconday IMHO.

Building your block is the place to start. Stock block is only good for 200-225 as Spriggan noted. FJT custom I-beams and a super kit w/Vitaras will run you under $650, and then you'll have the lower end to support the kind of mods you are talking about for the head.
alright i understand wut ur sayin, its very tempting for me to do the block, but i think ill jus boost the zc block and build the z6 on the side, id hate to go all out in one shot u kno!! from wut ur sayin i think ill jus do stock head rebuild jus to cleanin it up for boost!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of the D

Rep Power: 26 Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
alright i understand wut ur sayin, its very tempting for me to do the block, but i think ill jus boost the zc block and build the z6 on the side, id hate to go all out in one shot u kno!! from wut ur sayin i think ill jus do stock head rebuild jus to cleanin it up for boost!!!
You'll be fine and still able to make more than enough power to blow up the ZC with a stock bottom end.

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
yellow bar for me

lsturbohatch10 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to lsturbohatch10

ya the head will be fine for now. play with the stock zc and get to know boosted cars a little better. then build your z6.

active REP WHORE. you rep me i rep you back, on a mission to 3000 rep points

Quote:
but thats what d-series is all about. cheap affordable performance.
lsturbohatch10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

alright cool, im gonna post sum pics of my parts hopefully tonight and keep you guys posted on my progress!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

...stil tryin to figure out how to upload pics on threads but heres some
https://www.d-series.org/forums/album.php?albumid=145

Last edited by hil330; 10-30-2008 at 08:22 PM.
hil330 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

bump!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 DirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DirtyDseriesWOOT

u can break 13s totally stock with a small turbo kit

94 RHD samba green -SOLD!

uhh rep me or somthing!

Professional FireFighter

DirtyDseriesWOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in