Building d15 jdm for turbo - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Building d15 jdm for turbo

i got a jdm p08 block that i am tearing down and building for boost, the p08 pistons are in really good shape so i am wondering if i should keep them or go vitara. does anyone know the limits for the jdm p08 pistons as far as holding up under boost? any help would be awsome. saving 130 bucks on vitara pistons would be cool though, i dont plan on boosting too high. let me kbnow what you all think.
skidmarkroyalty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

your pistons arent holding you back, its the cheap ass rods that might take around 170-200 at the most

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifes short, drive fast!

Rep Power: 19 Max713 is the fucking MAN!!!!Max713 is the fucking MAN!!!!Max713 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Max713 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 25 reviews

if you are going to go through all the trouble/time/money of a build, why not make the investment with vitaras... $130 isnt that much in the scheme of things, especially if you consider how much it would cost to replace/rebuild anything that the p08's damage if they come apart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GO-AUTOWORKS.COM - The one and only, best of the Honda world!
No longer a D owner, but forever a D member
Max713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 molecule° is starting to learn the ropesmolecule° is starting to learn the ropesmolecule° is starting to learn the ropesmolecule° is starting to learn the ropesmolecule° is starting to learn the ropesmolecule° is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to molecule°

the jdm d15b vtec has d16 rods...
with a good tuner you can get 200-250hp
depends on your power goals
when you say "building for boost" then what is your current parts list
you cant use oem pressfit pistons on forged rods
and i dont believe its recommended you run ycp vitara or any other floating piston on stock rods

though i have heard of ycp vitaras being used on stock rods...
i fail to see the overall benefit...you are still limited in the power realm by the rod
and there is even more to gain with the custom fjt rods for vitaras now
molecule° is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

what turbo are you using?
crd16z6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

ha i know i should have alot more planned out. yeh i think i might do the whole build from FJ. i knew i would need better rods that was a no brainer. its just a sort of budget build so i was just wondering what kind of abuse the stock p08s would take. dont know what kind of turbo setup i am going to use at all. i am still reading up on everything... right now i am just building a block that can take some pretty good boost if i want it to. i dont drive hard too much, its more about having the power to me than using it. i plan on it taking about a year to finish. its going in an ef hatch. i am tearing down the block and doing all the measurments on monday. i am leaning towards the custom rods and vitaras from FJ. i am toying with using gapless rings too. the rods and pistons are in great shape so i will just sell them on ebay, figure someone out there needs them since they are completely unique to the jdm block. thinking about maybe doing a junk yard type turbo kit build and using a stock VW turbo, still doing research though. any body have some first hand acount/part lists for cheap turbo builds?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

its easy to find a complete turbo parts list, just go to ebay and look up complete turbo kit and see what all it includes...then figure thats about a third of what you need
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

no i was talking about a junk yard build list, what parts from what cars and what not. i will probably wait till someone blows there turboed D up and doesnt want to build another one. tearing the block down on monday and getting it to the machine shop to be bored 40 over. then it is off to get powder coated... still picking a color for the block.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

wow where did all the noobs come from hehe. Man I love my avatar :P

On a serious note, "budget" boost build doesnt really exist. Bare bones min don't bother with a bore, just ring it, bearings, seals and throw in some ARP head studs. Tune her to around 200-215 whp and have fun. It WILL last and be pretty damn quick. However just remember:

Cheap, Fast, Reliable you may only pick two.

The downside to boosting stock pistons is the ringlands. The block can take it, the rods to an extent but those damn lands. I'm sure someone will chime-in "I have seen 250+whp on stock internals and its still running 2 years later" blah blah blah I don't buy it for a second. What 2 years and 8k miles? I drive a shitload and put over 65k miles on a boosted D15B in stock form. That was 12psi daily at 197 mustang dyno whp. Now thats cheap reliability...

Budget aside yes go with the FJT kit its still really damn cheap in relative terms. Yet you still amaze me here. You mentioned budget, but can't decide on a powder coat color? Ahh yes money well invested for a budget build (insert sarcasm).

Also please tell me you are NOT sending a block out to be bored without having the pistons on hand!! The machine shop must physically have the pistons so they can measure them to achive proper piston to wall clearance. If any machine shop is willing to just bore the block to what you ask, do not do business with them!

You have much to learn young grasshopper so keep reading and keep that search slot nice and warm with text ^_-

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

bored .040 over..??? damn dude.. too much just do .020 over, and thats after ^^^ what he said.. you cant bore a block without have the pistons... thats just asking for trouble

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

im not gonna bore it at all provided it isnt warped. and when i say "budget" i mean i am not buying the BEST parts possible. but i am getting the fj custom rods for sure. i am going to meet a guy tomorow to trade a tranny i dont need for some 75mm vitaras and a greddy turbo manifold. but yeh. i guess i should not have said "budget", i guess what i mean by that is i dont plan i spending 800 bucks on a turbo... but i am not gonna cut corners either. and i didnt know that about needing the pistons first. i always thought they bored it as best they could and you matched the pistons to the cylinder they fit best. hopefully i wont need the machine shop for anything, sept a hot tanking maybe.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

and honing of course.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

your gonna need more than 800 bud

Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 DarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Why are you guys such dicks to n00bs?

Oh, and Vitara pistons are only $150? Sheesh, thats cheap lol

YOU DON'T NEED A CAMBER KIT YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT.
DarkCreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

yeh they are only 130 with rings. the guy i got the turbo manifold from gave me an adaptor for the tdo5, i am think i might just go get one of those from a junk yard and rebuild it. maybe mock up the same type turbo kit they had in the project car mag crx. but better cause it wont be on stock internals. now if only the days because 5 hours longer so i could find some time to get on it! also, i was thinking about going with gapless rings, anyone have any experience with them? total seal rings claim to have a 2% leakage average throughout the life of the rings. anyone ever use those? and i meant i am not gonna spend 800 bucks on JUST the turbo. i know i am gonna spend way more than 800 total. and DarkCreep, tell me about it, i thought they would be nice to me cause i have such an effing awsome screan name.

Last edited by skidmarkroyalty; 10-30-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCreep View Post
Why are you guys such dicks to n00bs?

Oh, and Vitara pistons are only $150? Sheesh, thats cheap lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarkroyalty View Post
DarkCreep, tell me about it, i thought they would be nice to me cause i have such an effing awsome screan name.
Im sorry who was being a dick to the noob asking a question that has been asked more than a million fucking time and noone gives a fuck about your name now Im being a dick I should neg rep both of you but I wont now wipe your fucking pussies and get on with life

Old 10-31-2008, 01:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

ha. but my name is the shit dude.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

i am gonna go ahead and ditch this thread. ill post something in a year when i am done. come on with the dickhead comment ef804. neg rep the hell out of me. you are reppin cali pretty good.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarkroyalty View Post
i am gonna go ahead and ditch this thread. ill post something in a year when i am done. come on with the dickhead comment ef804. neg rep the hell out of me. you are reppin cali pretty good.
You sir sound like a moron a pussy hurt one at that and Cali son you need to get you area codes straight Va And you leaving the site is no sweat off my back you leave another noob comes in and fills your spot hopefully the one that takes your spot is much smarter than you.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

o my bad thought that was your myspace page right there in the link. hope i didnt offend you man. take it easy. i im not leaving the site, just this thread. i hope to see you around man, and in a couple years i hope to have as many posts as you and to be talking shit to noobs whom i dont know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in