91 civic+ turbo= problems - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
I got a promoted! And I'm PINK!!

Rep Power: 13 Green 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Green 91 Send a message via Yahoo to Green 91
Default 91 civic+ turbo= problems

ok, well i am mocking up my turbo, get the manifold and turbo and wastegate altogether, bolt it in the car, and wow. a super tight fit.

i have a Mini ram manifold
t3/t4 turbo
JGS precision turbo 40mm wastegate(older version, still one of the slimmist ones on the market)

one main problem i see, is the wastegate dump tube.
their is NO room that i can see to mount it.

so i am asking, what do you guys with 88-91's do?
i have a delsol dual core half rad.

here are some photos to show you what i mean when i say no clearance.

the manifold, turbo and wastegate.

cant turn the wastegate and mount it this way, the 90* bend schedule 40 i have wont clear.

and turn it the otehr way, have about a 1" gapo between wastegate exit and rad.

so wtf?
any help/input appreciated, larger/more photos avaliable if needed.

i also will be using a slim fan mounted on the otherside of the rad, so that clears up room for the downpipe, but still have issues with the wastegate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Green 91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 13 Green 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regularGreen 91 is obviously a regular

no one.

i dont really want to cut the WG flange off and turn it 90* but i think im going to have to.

any idea on how much a shop would charge to TIG it back on.
i can MIG it, but it wont look like the rest of the welds.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 ghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebody

is there a reason you cant turn it away from the rad and then clock the compressor housing down?
ghettoturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

i cant clock the turbo down, it will hit my crossmeber.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

relocate the rad and provide adequate air to it with shrouding.

since that is not the stock rad for that car, you shouldnt have problems doing this :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crazymx6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post

since that is not the stock rad for that car, you shouldnt have problems doing this :P
either that or your gonna have to cut it and turn it 90 deg.....as far as price for re tig should be pretty cheap maybe like 20 bux..

crazymx6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post

the rad is located as far to the pass side as it can be. there is no where else to relocate it to.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifes short, drive fast!

Rep Power: 19 Max713 is the fucking MAN!!!!Max713 is the fucking MAN!!!!Max713 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Max713 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 25 reviews

id say cutting the wastegate flange off is ur best bet...

GO-AUTOWORKS.COM - The one and only, best of the Honda world!
No longer a D owner, but forever a D member
Max713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

yeah, i might have found another way, not sure yet.

ran into another problem, the oil drain, the turbo hangs so low its going to be a bitch to make the oil drain line.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 7 reviews

use 2 wg flanges and i see you have a steel elbow on the valvecover... weld that elbow to the flange and weld the other to the end of the elbow. then you can bolt the wg to the elbow.

eicivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 txdohczc will become famous soon enoughtxdohczc will become famous soon enoughtxdohczc will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green 91 View Post
yeah, i might have found another way, not sure yet.

ran into another problem, the oil drain, the turbo hangs so low its going to be a bitch to make the oil drain line.
if your turbo is too low to get a good drain then you need to get a pump setup going. thats why i stick to log manis
txdohczc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

get a different 90* off the WG outlet. something with a sharper bend. cheap and will be easy to do

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 05:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

we had this problem boosting a b20 in an ef hatch. we took the 90 and cut it short so it would be alot closer to the wastegate. it looked funny but it worked
frenshawas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx View Post
get a different 90* off the WG outlet. something with a sharper bend. cheap and will be easy to do
i have a really sharp 90 pipe. but tits still not sharp enough.

im looking to trade for a log manifold.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Cut the wg flange off and rotate it 90* so the dump is facing up...then you can fab a dump pipe to work around your constraints.

edit: My oil drain was also really low so I used some 45* fittings on the turbo and oil pan, works fine.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Cut the wg flange off and rotate it 90* so the dump is facing up...then you can fab a dump pipe to work around your constraints.

edit: My oil drain was also really low so I used some 45* fittings on the turbo and oil pan, works fine.
yeah i think im do that.

here is what i have for oil line fittings
Function7 -10an adapter
summit -10 an to hose fitting
summit 45* -10an to hose fitting
and a -10 weld on fitting

and i dont think they will fit, the turbo center housing has to be turned 45* to clear the crossmember, and it sits something like this:

thats another reason i want to trade for a log manifold.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

How long are those AN fittings? The 45* fitting I used on my oil pan is about 2.5" long.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

4" without the weld bung on it.

i want to use this manifold, but i am thinking about just going with a log.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green 91 View Post
4" without the weld bung on it.

i want to use this manifold, but i am thinking about just going with a log.
Just change your fittings dude. You might have to do without the baller AN fittings but that would be easier IMO than going through the hassle of swapping manifolds.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #20 (permalink)

its not just the oil line, the wastegate is also a issue.
so what other kind of oil drain can i use? smaller fittings?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in