Volvo Turbo to D15b2, 88 rex - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 Shadow is learning the way of the DShadow is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Volvo Turbo to D15b2, 88 rex

Hey guys, some of you may know me from Crx.honda-perf.org, I posted this question on there but thought this site may be more appropriate, so here goes. I have an 88 hf with a D15b2 (DX) engine in it, mated to an SI tranny, running on the HF mpfi system. I was wondering if anyone has run a turbo from a volvo on their D-series. I have a couple of old turbo volvos sitting around, and was looking under the hood of one today and noticed the turbo system looks surprisingly similar to those commonly seen on hondas. I was thinking I could use my HF exhaust mani, and make an adapter plate to fit the turbo, then weld up a down pipe to fit my exhaust. How well would a D15b2 handle boost? I'm lookin to make my rex out run my stock 91 LS teggie, I'll be happy with that... Does anyone have any experience with this setup, or any advice for me? maybe some recommended reading on how to tune with a turbo and avoid killing your engine? I understand the basics of how turbos work, and know most of the associated terminology. Its more the tuning I don't really know much about... like do I advance my timing, or run an fpr, or bigger injectors? etc. Anything you can tell me would be much appreciated, in the mean time I'll get to reading around here, see what I can dig up. Thanks in advance, Shadow.

Last edited by Shadow; 10-19-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 20 tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!tronsteezz is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

check out Homemadeturbo.com that is the ticket......
You guys should all just get Miatas.
Nobody ever tries to race you, old guys give you thumbs up all the time, and random assholes yell homophobic obscenities at you.
tronsteezz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 DreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DreaMer

bigger injectors. HF exhaust manifold with a adaptor plate to that turbo, motor should handle the turbo just fine long as you keep a good tune on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DreaMer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 Shadow is learning the way of the DShadow is learning the way of the D

ok well what should I use to tune it? I assume you mean ECU tune. I'm still running on my HF ECU, which ECU/tuning solution is most cost effective?

Also, I have a Y8 head hanging around, should I put that on? or would that be alot harder to boost with?

Are there any cars I could find in a junkyard that I could pull some better injectors off of? I think I've heard of a DSM? whats that stand for?

Thank you very much for your replies
Old 10-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 DreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagle

first and sencond gen. eagle talon or mishibushi eclipse, I mean a HF manifold (exhaust) and as far as tuning assuming your obd0 then you could pick up a chipped pr4 or pm6 ecu and use turboedit or switch to obd1 which seems to have alot better tuning programs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 txdohczc will become famous soon enoughtxdohczc will become famous soon enoughtxdohczc will become famous soon enough

i would not run boost on that enigne simply becuase the rods are weak with a capital W. but it can be done this is what you will need to research
hf mani w/adapter
dsm 450cc injectors blue or black
custom down pipe
pm6 with chip and a basemap
and all the stuff you need to hook up the intercooler and oillines
pretty much just look around and do research and you will be fine but dont expect much more than 150hp before that thing goes kaboom
txdohczc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 guscivic smells like Boratguscivic smells like Boratguscivic smells like Boratguscivic smells like Boratguscivic smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

hahahah you said capital W....
they are thin...but im pretty sure if you tune it right and dont run 999psi youll be ok...
which turbo are you looking at?
I buy from Americans cause I want the us economy to be #1 f china and f euros
guscivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

I have a Volvo 740 wagon with turbo, intercooler. So whatever that has on it, lol.

I was also pondering the idea of gettin a junkyard a6 block, puttin vitaras and rods in it, and then puttin my Y8 head on it... but my budjet is pretty damn slim, so I'm tryin to work with what I have as much as I can.

I was thinkin 130-140 hp would be good, at least until I get a better bottom end goin on that wont explode on me.

Still deciding between obd-0 or 1, the only thing I don't like about obd-0 is the damn 1 wire 02 sensor... I'd much rather have something I could stick a wideband on down the line.

I'm pretty good with fabrication, as is my dad, so I'm not at all worried about the exhaust piping, I have a welder and a oxy/acetylene torch so I think I can manage as far as that goes. My main concern is just keeping the engine from exploding.

Oh, and how do you remove injectors? just unplug and yank from IM and fuel rail or what? never played with them.

You guys rock by the way, thanks.

Last edited by Shadow; 10-19-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 txdohczc will become famous soon enoughtxdohczc will become famous soon enoughtxdohczc will become famous soon enough

shit if all you want is 130hp then just get an a6 and turbo that monster and you will have 130hp at least.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Well for starters anyway, I'm sure eventually I'll get bored with it. Does the A6 have stronger rods than the D15B2 or somethin? Why the A6 over the D15?

Also, according to the sticky about junkyard turbos, the volvo turbo is made for a 2.3L engine... that may pose problems... anyone know how to adjust it?

Although, I suppose my car wouldnt be putting out as much exhaust as a 2.3L volvo engine, so it also wouldnt cause the turbo to spool up as much, creating less pressure... so maybe it wouldnt be so bad... Any input on that theory?

Last edited by Shadow; 10-19-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

yes the a6 has stronger rods. depending on condition of the engine the average hp level to push your stock a6 is about 200hp-220hp with a decent/good tune
Old 10-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Well in that case I might have to go hit up the junkyard and see about gettin one, now you've got me thinkin. =)

200 hp would be some serious fun, although, I'd probably start breakin other stuff... Like my tranny or axels...

Whats a reasonable price to pay for a good running a6?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

$400 tops and thats on a high note. when i lived in florida they were a dime a dozen so 100 dollars could get you a good a6....also as long as you dont be stupid trannies and axles will be fine. people run these d-series hard all the time. like tronsteezz said check out homemadeturbo.com its filled with all the info you are looking for
Old 10-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ok, thanks, I just wanted to be sure, the local junkyard here sells things pretty overpriced I think, So I didnt want them tryin to charge me somethin rediculous. Before I knew what things were worth, I let them charge me 350 for an SI tranny. =(
Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

damn they boned you on that
Old 10-20-2008, 04:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

The volvo turbo will be fine in your engine. Swap in an A6 cam while you're at it. You will be able to pull out more than 130 whp in my opinion. I'd say somewhere between 160-180whp depending.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 05:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
insert user title here

Rep Power: 51 drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drunkinmaster1 Send a message via Yahoo to drunkinmaster1

guys, youre confusing him

that Volvo turbo is a t3 .42/.48 and is perfect for a d15b2.
it should spool very fast.
stock bottom end should be just fine for that turbo. dont go with a dsm turbo, that turbo is much better and easier to work with. going with a dsm would almost be downsizing.
if you have an hf manifold you can bolt that turbo right up to it with an adapter pate from bmc.
http://bmcrace.com/
look into some dsm injectors, maybe some 450s which are fairly common and cheap.
heres an hf adapter with an adapter plate from a member on here

t3 turbo identification

read the engine management forum faq, thats very important.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

What turbo it that on the hf mani? What are the limits on the hf mani (hp,psi)? ^
bowtiecity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
insert user title here

Rep Power: 51 drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to drunkinmaster1 Send a message via Yahoo to drunkinmaster1

same size turbo. hf manifold is probably good for around 200 hp
Old 10-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

wow I pushed my d15 to 12 psi daily, Not recommened but hey I got a little boost itch, anyway, the d15 is fine, dont listen to people who doubt it, they obviously dont know what there talking about, look up my thread about me turbo'ing my d15. the only reason I blew it cause my boost controller let that bad boy spike to 15 psi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in