Do all D motors have valvetrane noise? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
10 second daily driver :)

Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 24 reviews
Default Do all D motors have valvetrane noise?

I know mine has always sounded like a diesel but some seem louder and even to fluctuate more then others, The last couple SOHC hondas i looked at as possible beaters all have the same noise my car does but louder, so my actual question is this, why is it when the valves are properly adjusted does a D head still tap like crazy and why does the tapping some times come and go? i mean we dont have lifters so there is no hydraulic lifters to pump up and down, even my CRX does this and i always wanted to know why, i keep a close eye on my valve adjustment and it still can tap then get quieter and then tap again all seemingly at random does any one have a SOHC that dont do this or is just the nature of the beast?
10.7 @ 137.97
1990 CRX Si D16Z6 305/265 @ 22 PSI (SOLD)
11.6 @ 118
Boosted91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....
Default Do all D motors have valvetrane noise?

I posted this in general tech , but then remembered that section barely gets used by allot of people here so i figured i would post again here in my favorite section any way mine has always sounded like a diesel but some seem louder and even to fluctuate more then others, The last couple SOHC hondas i looked at as possible beaters all have the same noise my car does but louder, so my actual question is this, why is it when the valves are properly adjusted does a D head still tap like crazy and why does the tapping some times come and go? i mean we dont have lifters so there is no hydraulic lifters to pump up and down, even my CRX does this and i always wanted to know why, i keep a close eye on my valve adjustment and it still can tap then get quieter and then tap again all seemingly at random does any one have a SOHC that dont do this or is just the nature of the beast?
10.7 @ 137.97
11.6 @ 118
Old 10-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 AJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AJxr

ive never noticed it except with my built motor so im thinking its my pistons even though it sounds like valvetrain. no matter how many times i check/adjust they valves they are perfect. strange right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Racer
d16, eagle/vitara 19psi, 12.27 @ 110.6mph, 1.795 60ft - retired
b18b1, holset, 14psi, 11.75 @ 114.75, 1.765 60ft - BONE STOCK ENGINE - retired
forged ls-vtec, itr cams, holset cranked. 1?.?? @ 1??.??
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

hmmm interesting theory, seems so much like rocker and valvetrain noise to me. i guess what gets me more then anything is how even at a idle it can fluctuate from a even tapping to sounding like the tapping is louder then fades back down, this is what can happen in engines with lifters if the lifters dont pump up right but since we have no lifters.
10.7 @ 137.97
11.6 @ 118
Old 10-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 AJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AJxr

might have something to do with bearing clearances maybe but i guess that wouldnt make sense..

what kind of oil do you run? i run 15-40

also no chance it could be the injectors ticking? not to insult you because im sure you would know the difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Racer
d16, eagle/vitara 19psi, 12.27 @ 110.6mph, 1.795 60ft - retired
b18b1, holset, 14psi, 11.75 @ 114.75, 1.765 60ft - BONE STOCK ENGINE - retired
forged ls-vtec, itr cams, holset cranked. 1?.?? @ 1??.??
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

nah im talking about the tapping that all D heads seem to make, i mean i personally have never heard one that dont do it to some degree, but what i wonder is why it can fluctuate when nothing in the head should be able to change. some i have heard really tap allot and fluctuate allot in loudness even at idle. so i guess from the responses here that no one else has ever heard a D head fluctuate in tapping? Must only be those in PA and that i come across then.
10.7 @ 137.97
11.6 @ 118
Old 10-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....Koots is almost there....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Yeah, my car does it. I went crazy there for a while and re-adjusted my valves 4 times trying to fix it. then came to my own personal conclusion that it is just a part of the engine.

I am not 100% on what kind of pistons you are running but i've heard that Vitara's do have a bit of piston slap but i've never built one.

SOLD

...Gone back to the Chevy world again, but i'll be back behind the seat of a Honda again someday
Koots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

yeah, I know exactly what you mean. All the motors I've put in my car and all the hondas I've worked on make a little valve train noise. Even with the head rebuilt and the valves properly adjusted. I've been told adjusting the lash a little tight helps, maybe .010 on the intake and .012 on the exhaust. but I've never done it
Old 10-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Frodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to allFrodo is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
yeah, I know exactly what you mean. All the motors I've put in my car and all the hondas I've worked on make a little valve train noise. Even with the head rebuilt and the valves properly adjusted. I've been told adjusting the lash a little tight helps, maybe .010 on the intake and .012 on the exhaust. but I've never done it
Indeed it does help!!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Lude-icious!  is slowly gaining respectLude-icious!  is slowly gaining respectLude-icious!  is slowly gaining respectLude-icious!  is slowly gaining respectLude-icious!  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I adjust mine at .007 and .006. And if you think the d's are noisy fire up a 3rd gen DOHC prelude. Those b20a's have a noiser valve train at idle than there exhaust even with an aftermarket exhaust. It sounds broken but thats just the way they are.

and ya, my a6 is funky like that and everthing up top is new...I just run 10w30 in the summer, and 5w30 in the winter both semi synthetic and it helps alot.
Lude-icious! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 DirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DirtyDseriesWOOT

mine did it also when it was built.. just too much power in D-s NUTS haha

94 RHD samba green -SOLD!

uhh rep me or somthing!

Professional FireFighter

DirtyDseriesWOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 smellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to smellslikerice

mine does it....i hate it....it sounds like somethings wrong....lol

and ive noticed it in many other sohcs....

oh and mine fluctuates all the time at idle

Last edited by smellslikerice; 10-09-2008 at 06:29 PM.
smellslikerice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

so yours also changes how loud it is at random?
10.7 @ 137.97
11.6 @ 118
Old 10-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

injectors ticking?

Put some rowdy Ford squirters in there, everyone will be telling you to adjust your valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

so whats the tightest you guys think is safe to adjust the valves to? im right in the middle of the min and max spec from the manual.
10.7 @ 137.97
11.6 @ 118
Old 10-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 smellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to smellslikerice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted91 View Post
so yours also changes how loud it is at random?
if im standing next to the car with it idling....the idle will go up or down a little....and the ticking is notably louder....

so yeah....lol....and you cant really hear it in the car....but you get out and you hear it....you pop the hood and you REALLY hear it....

if i had a camera id make a vid...
smellslikerice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

quiet as a church mouse, your doing it wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

Aww crap I merged the wrong way...

krychek57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 DirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatnessDirtyDseriesWOOT is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DirtyDseriesWOOT

.007 .009 is how i have mine with the zex cam it still very loud

94 RHD samba green -SOLD!

uhh rep me or somthing!

Professional FireFighter

DirtyDseriesWOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted91 View Post
I know mine has always sounded like a diesel but some seem louder and even to fluctuate more then others, The last couple SOHC hondas i looked at as possible beaters all have the same noise my car does but louder, so my actual question is this, why is it when the valves are properly adjusted does a D head still tap like crazy and why does the tapping some times come and go? i mean we dont have lifters so there is no hydraulic lifters to pump up and down, even my CRX does this and i always wanted to know why, i keep a close eye on my valve adjustment and it still can tap then get quieter and then tap again all seemingly at random does any one have a SOHC that dont do this or is just the nature of the beast?
i dont think mine does but its a stock d16y8 and z6 head. i just hear my belt tensioner sometimes ticking. can u pose a vid or soundclip so i can compare to mine
4dek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in