Honda D Series Forum banner

need stroker kit for my d16

5K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  DseriesScience 
G
#1 ·
Hello to every body from Puerto Rico, i am looking for a stroker kit for my d16.
I want to make it a 1.8l if posible if not the closes to it.
I currently have the next mods in my 89 civic si:

ross piston (.020 over)
eagle rods
balance crank
block guard
arp head studs
v-tec oil pump
webcam cam (273)
skunks spring and reteiners
96 civic head (non v-tec)
skunks cam gear
t3/t4 turbo
garret intercooler
venom intake manifold and fuel rail
750cc injectors
bosh fuel pump
malpassi fuel regulator
wolf3d engine manegament
act clutch
phantom grip

sofar i have done 330 whp at 23 psi

but had problems with lubrication in the block and the rod bearings went out
and i want a bigger block now but still single cam

Thanks for any help i can get on getting the stroker kit

See less See more
#3 ·
hola I had a zc block with a 98 vtec head and had the same problem how i solved it was i used the vtec oil pump and i ported it and streched the spring and it worked fine my i sold it to a friend and he ran 15.0 @ 90mph in a 91 rex si. Anyways for the stroker kit call will @ exospeed at 818-355-6156 or go to www.exospeed.com he should be able to give u some info on that

G
#9 ·
oye hombre esto es una idea malisima!!!

This is a really bad idea, these engines do not respond well to stroking at all. The stroking of a B16A is a whole different kettle of fish and this is not a comparable option. Without going over the physics issues that surround this controversy, D's and F's respond much better to overbores. Resleeve it with some darton solid deck sleeves or get a custom bore block from exospeed but DO NOT stroke it.

The idea keeps poping up because people think domestic and then mod a sport compact engine. Domestics need a lot of help in all sorts of areas and reducing port flow demand while increasing the rpm range is undoubtedly one. Our engines have flow numbers that can not even be seen in a domestic crate motor and the limitation when it comes to rpms is the valve spring and the seat. A D16z6 resleeved to 1.8 and with 10mm longer rods will make with a moded head and some of bissimoto's headers acording to my desk top dyno (grain of salt) 229 hp at 7500 rpm and 177 ft/lbs at 5500 at a VE of 96.6% and BMEP (peak) 221 psi at 11.5 mechanical cr. This is at 600 cfm (proportional increase in cfm from 350 at 1.5 mm hg for an unmoded 1.6) at 1.5 mm Hg. 500 cfm drops peak hp by 3 and BMEP by 1.5 torque is unchanged.
Interestingly, this engine will hit peak hp again at 9500 rpm and at over 90% VE. This is rather odd and I am at a loss for an explanation. However, I wonder if a less rough ( I am doing this while I am taking a break, its pretty rough) calculation would show it to be an artifact. I also wonder if changing the volume/ shape of the chambers would yield improved numbers.

I almost forgot, I can not do vtec in my sim so it has to be done as two cam profiles and that's beyond rough. I wonder what the vtec crossover would do if peak torque was available imediately?

G
#10 ·
If you stroke a D series, your going to have issues. it won't make as much power in the long run and will also cause slower acceleration. the strokes aer fine.

If you sleeve the block, no mater what ANYONE tells you, do NOT go past 78mm bore. why? the amount of cylinder wall space is too thin past that, and the gasket sealing surface on the deck is too thin to hold properly. 78m bore will put you at a 1.724L motor. of you toss in a set if super high comrpession pistons, your goign to make a lot of power with that. Also going past 78mm causes heating ussies due to too thin of a cylinder wall. (yea, seen it)

G
#12 ·
ok, at the risk of starting a big bruhaha here, I disagree with Oscar on the question of sleeving. Certainly, it is not a simple proposition as it requires considerable planning. Nevertheless, a close deck set of sleves, installed properly and O ringed, can maintain a stable seal against considerable pressure. I would say that such treatment is essential for any such work above 77mm of bore as these pistons would exert considerable angular forces on the cylinders and flexing is certain to become an issue rapidly with the potential for metal fatigue as a further complication.
Now, having said that, Oscar is correct in that cooling will become an issue. However, this is not an intractable problem. A lower set thermostat and switch (and assorted parts) coupled with at least a dual core factory width radiator -if not a full width one- and perhaps an oil cooler as well would address this issue rather well. A further way to release excess heat would be to use a shorter exhaust which, while less efficient at lower rpms, would be able to disipate considerable amounts of thermal energy.
While it is the case that this goes beyond a simple plug and play, it is the case that it can be done and while one would not necesarily want to take this vehicle to death valley, it would give a good account of itself either at a drag race or at a Solo II course.

Is it the best idea posible, no. is it doable, yes. I would say that it is far more practical to get a 1.8 solid deck resleeving and either SC it or turbo it but a 2 liter D would be a sreamer, if potentially only for a short time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.