Turbo guys, what do you tq your arp headstuds at - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 AJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AJxr
Default Turbo guys, what do you tq your arp headstuds at

i believe i first torqued mine to 60ft/lbs, drove it then torqued them to 70 ft/lbs.

ive seen some setups with them torqued at 90 ft/lbs

what do you guys have them at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Racer
d16, eagle/vitara 19psi, 12.27 @ 110.6mph, 1.795 60ft - retired
b18b1, holset, 14psi, 11.75 @ 114.75, 1.765 60ft - BONE STOCK ENGINE - retired
forged ls-vtec, itr cams, holset cranked. 1?.?? @ 1??.??
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

i went to 65 with moly lube... tq spec is on the box and is different between moly and oil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I went to 70ftlbs pushing 35psi.

I continue to retorque the nuts until none of them move. It may take as many as 4 times after about 10 heat cycles.

That's drive the car 10 times let it cool over night after each drive, then retorque the head.

1992Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 20 ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
ddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcanoddd4114 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to ddd4114 Send a message via AIM to ddd4114 Send a message via MSN to ddd4114 Send a message via Yahoo to ddd4114

The torque specs for ARP studs are designed so that the stress in the stud is 75% of its yield strength. Assuming a linear relationship with the torque spec being 60 lb-ft, the studs will deform plastically at 80 lb-ft.

Read My Stuff:

ddd4114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

mine took twice... but i am not pushing 35* either lol.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 164 reviews

70 ft lbs here as well.
GO-AUTOWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 AJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regular

awesome thanks guys

- Racer
Old 05-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 ghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoworks View Post
70 ft lbs here as well.
i did 71 lol...just because chris (xenocron) had just done his to 70

On a side note, ive never re-torqued mine (its a bit of a pain on a dohc) and have had no problems so far.
ghettoturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 nitroice40 is learning the way of the Dnitroice40 is learning the way of the D

I have 1/2" studs and I torq them to 100ft/lb
nitroice40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Shoot me!

Rep Power: 45 Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

I have mine torqued to 65. Once i drive it a bit i'm gonna retourqe um to 70.

GO STEELERS!
Hellhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

70 here as well.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd4114 View Post
The torque specs for ARP studs are designed so that the stress in the stud is 75% of its yield strength. Assuming a linear relationship with the torque spec being 60 lb-ft, the studs will deform plastically at 80 lb-ft.
For those who haven't taken a materials course, a stud that has been plastically deformed may as well be a paperweight.

If used, it will eventually break the same way a paper clip breaks if you bend it back and forth over and over...

Or at least you won't get the clamping force you'd expect.
'90 Mazda Miata - Weekend Fun Car
'04 Toyota Prius - Wife / family car
shifty35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

maybe you guys should list what lube you used for the tq down. just to make sure no one does it wrong for their application.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi

arp moly lube that is included with them.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:

1996 Integra Project Car:
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes

Yea the ARP lub. Make sure you get all the air out of the threads.

I run the stud in until it stops, wait a few and run it in some more, wait a few, repeat until there bottomed. Then back them out 1/2 a turn.

For some reason B series don't need to be re torqued. A lot of with single cams have learned the hard way.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 41 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 48 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
thats what arp reccomends, so thats what i use.

i torqued mine to 65 ft lbs and never re-torqued...and never had an issue.
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 RickyLee53 is learning the way of the DRickyLee53 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by myHonda1 View Post
thats what arp reccomends, so thats what i use.

i torqued mine to 65 ft lbs and never re-torqued...and never had an issue.
+1
RickyLee53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
same here, also i remember letting the air escape. havent had any hg issues just curious because sometime in the next few months id like to build another z6 head, mill it a bunch to get my vitara motor into the ~8.0:1-8.2:1 area instead of this 7.5:1 i have going on here.

also accompinied with a port job, springs, retainers, 59300 cam, and a port match IM and new tb should make for a nice power gain.

oops back on topic...

- Racer
Old 05-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

so when it tells you to only screw the studs in by hand... you just put them in until you cant turn them no more? im in the process of doing this... ive never used ARP's before so its new to me
Celestial Rex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Yes by hand. if you use a allen wrench to help turn them, be careful not to go to tight. Like I said above I' have been told to back them up about 1/2 turn. That came from one of the experts from a few years back. I continue to do that with engines I put together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in