3 final nitrous questions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Mr Mobsta Man is almost a somebodyMr Mobsta Man is almost a somebodyMr Mobsta Man is almost a somebodyMr Mobsta Man is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Mr Mobsta Man
Default A few final nitrous questions

I am just about finished my nitrous setup for now. (still need two bottle heaters but I am not too worried about them right now.) My basic setup is a ZEX dry nitrous kit running a 55 shot first, purge kit, traction controller (rpm window switch and lets you pick gear you start spraying in), msd sci, nitrous filter, maximizer kit, ARP head studs, Walbro 255lph pump and AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator, auto meter nitrous and fuel pressure gauges, AEM wide band, NGK 7 series plugs (2 steps colder), intake/header/exhaust. [Compression test ranges from somewhere around 205 to 215 and I am not burning any oil or coolant that I know of (I think my crank seal is leaking some oil but I don't see that being a problem)]

1. Spark plug gap, I have searched multiple forums and I can find plenty of threads on people just asking someone to tell them what gap to set their plugs to, but no one saying why they should go with that gap. Is there an equation something of that sort that helps you figure out what gap would work well or is it trial and error? My plugs say .044 gap but I am thinking that .038 would work better for nitrous. Any input?

2. Reading plugs, when I am reading plugs I thought that you aren't supposed to pull plugs out of a hot engine, do you just put a bunch of anti-seize on them and hope they don't strip or get stuck?

3. The TPS switch in my NMU, I programmed it correctly (I am sure, it isn't that hard.) and it will activate a little before WOT, is this normal? Also while I am driving, should I snap off of the throttle or let the gas out slowly after a run, I have heard bad things about snapping off quickly but I am not sure about that. It seems to me like snapping off would be better but I would like some feedback on that.

4. I think transzex said he melted a piston with a 75 shot on a dry kit, should I wait until I switch to direct port and get better at reading my plugs before I go higher than my 55 shot?

I feel like I am forgetting a question so I will update if I remember but any help is appreciated, I am getting really anxious to use my kit since I just got one of my bottles filled and I have been working on this setup all winter but I want to make sure I understand everything I need to know before I start using it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 Coupe EX: I/H/E +55 shot Dry -> R.I.P.
2000 Coupe EX: Tein Susp./Vitara/I-Beams/GT3076R/Hondata s300/E-85
2009 CBR600RR Phoenix Edition: Stock(ish)
2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4: 3" Lift/255-85R16 KM2 Mud Terrains
2011 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260: Removed Speed Limiter/Solas Prop/Thru-Hull Exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I Rep Back!

Last edited by Mr Mobsta Man; 05-03-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Mr Mobsta Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cory jordan Send a message via MSN to cory jordan

i didnt see the question
cory jordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Mr Mobsta Man is almost a somebodyMr Mobsta Man is almost a somebodyMr Mobsta Man is almost a somebodyMr Mobsta Man is almost a somebody
Default A few final nitrous questions

my internets is being screwey at the moment, I am editing it...

I Rep Back!

Last edited by Mr Mobsta Man; 05-02-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

stock plugs, .032" gap, 87 octane, stock timing.

All that extra stuff isn't needed.

SCI I can see, set the fuel cut in the ECU 500 rpm above the MSD chip.

Jumping off the gas when running is only bad if you jump right back into it. My rusty muffler got quite a bit louder......

KISS, Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I can see stock plugs and timing but 87 octane seems like asking for trouble doesn't it?

I Rep Back!
Old 05-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

singlecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to singlecizam

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
stock plugs, .032" gap, 87 octane, stock timing.

All that extra stuff isn't needed.

SCI I can see, set the fuel cut in the ECU 500 rpm above the MSD chip.

Jumping off the gas when running is only bad if you jump right back into it. My rusty muffler got quite a bit louder......

KISS, Keep It Simple, Stupid!
could have said it better myself.
singlecizam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mobsta Man View Post
I can see stock plugs and timing but 87 octane seems like asking for trouble doesn't it?
it asks can you tune?

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

singlecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussie

listen to the man.. he knows...
Old 05-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
it asks can you tune?
Tune what is it ???? Hmmmmm

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

panda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcanopanda is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to panda

use a smaller shot the first time. then gradually upgrade. i used a small shot on mine and the nos was hooked up properly but the head gasket went bad and i shot a rod threw the #4 cylinder wall lol.. so.. check everything before you go using gas.. that would be my 2 cents but yes keep it simple when you go complicated you can mess up waaaaaaaaaay more

panda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Well this is my first setup so I am going to say my tune isn't going to be perfect to say the least I'm sure. So 91 octane would be a good idea to run, at least until I get good at reading plugs then. I have a new headgasket since I just did it and the head studs not long ago so I'm not too worried about that.

I think I will go with the stock timing, colder plugs with .032" gap, 91 octane to start out with. I will post the carnage pictures if anything goes wrong, I'm sure you guys will like to see them. lol lets just hope there will not be any, at least not yet anyway, I am trying to beat my friend at the track next week who has a 01 eclipse gt so I might have to change the jetting after a few runs, not sure yet.

I Rep Back!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

first bottle or two, stay with the 55 shot, learn to read your plugs.

Nitrous will bite you hard if you get too greedy too fast.

Twice Bitten

Quote:
Old 05-04-2008, 11:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 TurboMaster  is accepted as part of the communityTurboMaster  is accepted as part of the communityTurboMaster  is accepted as part of the communityTurboMaster  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mobsta Man View Post
Well this is my first setup so I am going to say my tune isn't going to be perfect to say the least I'm sure. So 91 octane would be a good idea to run, at least until I get good at reading plugs then. I have a new headgasket since I just did it and the head studs not long ago so I'm not too worried about that.

I think I will go with the stock timing, colder plugs with .032" gap, 91 octane to start out with. I will post the carnage pictures if anything goes wrong, I'm sure you guys will like to see them. lol lets just hope there will not be any, at least not yet anyway, I am trying to beat my friend at the track next week who has a 01 eclipse gt so I might have to change the jetting after a few runs, not sure yet.
having owned a nitrous company(we sold alot of kits to england)i would have to ask ahead of time please post pics of the damage! stock timing and a dry kit? good luck man,my advice is this...WET WET WET,and at least decrease the timing a few degrees,please for the sake of your engine go WET!
TurboMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 05:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

If we start a wet vs dry debate here this will turn into a 10 page thread real quick...

I got the dry kit because I got a hella good deal on it. I am not going to run higher than the 55 off of it, I am switching to direct port before I try to go higher. But I guess I will take your advice on pulling some timing, 2* should be good. I already have a 3 stage retard box from msd I just didn't feel like hooking it up but I guess I will now.

I Rep Back!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

2 degrees is a little much for a 55 shot. Id start with 1 degree and possibly even go back to stock timing depending on how the plugs look.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Stock motor can handle 4-5 degrees of advance, thus for 55 shot STOCK timing is safe.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in