Lightened Flywheel on D16z6 Turbo - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Lightened Flywheel on D16z6 Turbo

Hey guys. I run a d16a6/z6 vtec turbo, Turbonetics super 60, Tial waste gate, HKS bov, DSM 450 injectors, sls Ramhorn mani, eagle rods, Vitara Pistons, block gaurd, ACT six puck sprung, ACT extreme pressure plate..
Im running 6 PSI and made 185 on the dyno, i also run 11 psi, but never made a dyno run on 11...

My question is, would i get any gains off a light flywheel? Iv been told it wouldnt give me any large gains that i would feel, in all reality, it would spool to quick loosing torque?

Is this correct? and does anyone know of dyno sheets to prove if a light flywheel works...?

Thanks guy. Apprechiate it.
mcneil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

search search search... you did not search.

call me out on it if you dare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

no gains in WHP. Just quicker gain and loss in RPMs. Depends on how light also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

not to go off subject, but why are you running such low boost? with eagle rods and vitaras you should be able to run much higher boost.
99Blackex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 97Ej6Mike is learning the way of the D97Ej6Mike is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

IMO, lightened flywheels work best on N/A applications. From what ive seen/experienced, a lightened flywheel causes the wheels to wanna break loose more often in a boosted application. Thats just my experience tho.
97Ej6Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

you guys ruined my fun.. :haha:

Old 04-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Blackex View Post
not to go off subject, but why are you running such low boost? with eagle rods and vitaras you should be able to run much higher boost.
i was running 11 psi on a d 15 vtec and blew a rod threw the block. so i built this motor and ran out of money. i will be getting jd from moncton new brunswick to tune it for me.

the only problem is im gonna need better injecters cause ill be running 100 % duty on the dsm with 350 and i want 400.?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
search search search... you did not search.

call me out on it if you dare.
i call you out. i did research and came up with 2 different sides so i figure id post were people have boost and have tried it.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 41 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 48 reviews

it depends on how light you go. i wouldn't go getting a 7.5lb flywheel for boost. me personally i woudn't go any lower than 12.5lbs. not a on a dd...

with a lightened flywheel your gonna get into boost quicker, but in you will also fall out of boost quicker between shifts. it really all depends on what your goals are.

i still havent decided what i'm going to do on my boosted b16 yet. after what ive been reading i'm not sure if i want a lighter flywheel.
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

I thoroughly enjoyed my ACT Streetlite 12lb, both in N/A and boosted cars.

I had it in my turbo coupe and then moved it to the N/A hatch.
'90 Mazda Miata - Weekend Fun Car
'04 Toyota Prius - Wife / family car
shifty35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 01:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
d-series Member

hatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

besides, there was a multi page thread about this very thing like a week or two ago
Old 04-30-2008, 02:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchnthoughts View Post
besides, there was a multi page thread about this very thing like a week or two ago
A week or two ago, man that's almost a lifetime.

Even in our race engine we only ran lightened OEM units. 12lbs was as low as we went.

After thinking about. I'd save my money and do something different on these small engines.

Now in my 05 Legacy GT I had a 14lb Spec flywheel installed last June. The OEM unit was almost 27lbs. The only big difference I notice is the engine doesn't like being driven at low rpm in higher gear.

40mph is the lowest I can drive in 4th gear. With the OEM FW 40 in 5th was OK.

1992Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 06:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Thumbs down you asked....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneil View Post
i call you out. i did research and came up with 2 different sides so i figure id post were people have boost and have tried it.
https://d-series.org/forums/showthrea...tened+flywheel

results from d-s.org = Showing results 26 to 50 of 370
Search took 0.41 seconds; generated 1 minute(s) ago

results from google = Results 1 - 10 of about 4,020 for pros and cons lightened flywheel. (0.26 seconds)

neg rep passed out accordingly.

Last edited by 99EJ6T; 04-30-2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: just added a little more to the "burn"
Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

singlecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to singlecizam

If i read another lightweight flywheel thread my head is going to explode!
singlecizam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

could we get a lock on this thread?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to K2e2vin

I believe he was looking for threads directly concerning boosted engines. Hell, there was a debate about heavier flywheels actually help boosted cars build up boost earlier/reduce lag.
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

yeah, i linked that one specifically. it was the first one i listed .

Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

just keep the stock one and stop the crying. the money spent isn't worth it.
kmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

singlecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussiesinglecizam is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to singlecizam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanpete View Post
just keep the stock one and stop the crying. the money spent isn't worth it.
wrong.
singlecizam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecizam View Post
wrong.
wrong yourself :haha:.

gains from a light weight flywheel is based on use and application.

some will see power and acessablity of power to be at a loss when using a light weight flywheel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in