Turbo build questions (D16z6) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Default Turbo build questions (D16z6)

Whats the thickest head gasket to run with out having to worry bout blowing out. Ive got arp studs. Also any recomendations on which clutch to run on a 300-350hp Z6/gt28? Sorry, one more, i did the calc. for injectors and came up with 550cc, but ive been told 550,650, even 750cc from people. Can I get a solid answer to that. Thanks!

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Do like I did and just go to the RC injectors website. They let you know an estimate on what each is good for. You can also look on xenocron.com and they'll give you horsepower rating for each size. I just went on the overkill side and went with 750cc RC injectors.
d-rail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Why do you want to run a thicker HG?
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Why do you want to run a thicker HG?
Im running a ported y8 head on my z6, with the srp turbo pistons it gives me approximatly 9.5-1cr with the head/block combo(according to the zealautowerks comp calc.). Trying to keep it as low as possible, thats all. Im gonna go with the 650's. Thanks.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
10 second daily driver :)

Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

clutches go off torque not horsepower, both LSD and ACT make good clutches for street and strip use. for 350 hp i would go with 750s, not that 650s wont support 350, but with 750s you have room to grow.
10.7 @ 137.97
1990 CRX Si D16Z6 305/265 @ 22 PSI (SOLD)
11.6 @ 118
Boosted91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
Im running a ported y8 head on my z6, with the srp turbo pistons it gives me approximatly 9.5-1cr with the head/block combo(according to the zealautowerks comp calc.). Trying to keep it as low as possible, thats all. Im gonna go with the 650's. Thanks.
9.5:1 is perfect for boost IMO.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 01:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I have 550cc tuner toys and targeting 300-350whp. I am using ACT Xtreme Clutch with street disk. Do not use the pucks. It is hard to shift if it is your daily driver.
kmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!cory jordan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cory jordan Send a message via MSN to cory jordan

[QUOTE=kmanpete;1211216 . Do not use the pucks. It is hard to shift if it is your daily driver.[/QUOTE]

this is not true. it differers for everyone, you may just not have any calf muscles :haha:. ok but really. i drive a six puck sprung hub f1 stage 3. (ok not the best) but it doesnt make things hard to shift. dd my prob is clutch engagement and the fact i have a 7lb flywheel.
cory jordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 04:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 nO prEssUrE is crying in the corner like a little bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory jordan View Post
this is not true. it differers for everyone, you may just not have any calf muscles :haha:. ok but really. i drive a six puck sprung hub f1 stage 3. (ok not the best) but it doesnt make things hard to shift. dd my prob is clutch engagement and the fact i have a 7lb flywheel.
well i had almost the same thing an it was pretty unconfy the first couple of weeks then i just got just to it .. :sadface:
Old 04-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 PhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
9.5:1 is perfect for boost IMO.
x2
PhoenixEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

You can get up to .XXX HG from Cometic. They will make a whatever you want. It's all the same three layers. Just the middle is thicker.

1992Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm interested in the original question the poster was asking. I have the srp 10.5:1 pistons. They don't actually yield 10.5:1, accordind to c-speedracing's compression calculator... Nonetheless, it looks like I'll need a 0.065" HG to get me to 9.5:1 cr. I know cometic makes it, and I can get it at tunertoys.com, but is that thick of a HG safe on a boosted (10-12psi) D16y8?
CALC!_JUST_du_IT! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Turns out I might actually need a bit thicker than 0.065" to get my compression where I want it to be... Now I'm thinking I might just go with the 0.074" hg, also made by cometic. Has ANYONE on this site EVER had ANY experience with thicker head gaskets on a boosted D16y8, or ANY motor? I've been trying to get an answer on this for too long...
CALC!_JUST_du_IT! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

WHat thickness is realistic on these with say 10-15 psi or 15-20 psi? I(we) dont want to worry about headgasket blowouts. Im using Arps also. Im sure that helps some.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

With a 9.5 compression, I'd not worry about the HG but worry more about the tune...which in turn blows more HGs than anything.

To the other guy commenting about using a thick HG, good luck cuz that's most likely uncharted territory by most.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK92_D16 View Post
With a 9.5 compression, I'd not worry about the HG but worry more about the tune...which in turn blows more HGs than anything.

To the other guy commenting about using a thick HG, good luck cuz that's most likely uncharted territory by most.
Im gonna get the tune. Dont know by who tho, long ways away yet. Im just looking for some more info on the subject before I buy the parts.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in