New to turbo D-series.. need help - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default New to turbo D-series.. need help

OK heres the deal. I have extensive fairly extensive experience with honda's ; including d-series (mostly B), but I purchased my first turbo d today. d16z6, to4e turbo, tt rods, vitara pistons, 3 bar map, dsm 450's, crap egay manifold, "tuned" on crome, rywire plg n play, etc.. car runs "good" (as far as i can tell) somewhat choppy in lower rpm's, wich the seller says is due to a crower stage 2 cam. According to him its tuned for around 15 lbs.... At the moment im not running a boost controller and its peaking around 7-9 lbs. in 3rd, i havent boosted much in 4th.... around 6.5k rpms im getting a loud Popping noise from the exhaust, and i can smell fuel. I've ridden in turbo'd d's before, so im somewhat familer with the sound of detonation, and this isnt what im hearing. the last thing i need right now is a hole in one of my pistons... My first thought is the car hasnt actually been tuned properly, and may be running on a base map the p28 came with. any ideas?
HondasaurusRexxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread

Rep Power: 45 E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 51 reviews
Send a message via AIM to E. Jeezy Send a message via Yahoo to E. Jeezy

Quote:
My first thought is the car hasnt actually been tuned properly, and may be running on a base map the p28 came with. any ideas?
there ya go. seems like it to me that the fuel curve is all fucked up because of the "tune"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I dont like talking to car forum people as much as I used to so now I just stick to the picture threads." ~E. Jeezy

"I should have well over 30k posts but d-series.org doesn't take into account, all the shit that I talk."
~E. Jeezy

"I'm so awesome that I quote myself in my own signature."
~E. Jeezy
E. Jeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

ok we're getting somwhere..Well my next question is this: lets say the car was "tuned" to run 15 lbs... but im running 7 lbs off the wastegate currently.... could the possible cause of my popping noise be unburned fuel igniting out my exhaust from running to rich? I have a hard time trusting most guages but according to my a/f guage im running stoich through my whole upper rpm range. i've searched quite a bit, and i have an idea of what im looking at here, but i havent come up with an exact solution to my problem..

Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 99redek is learning the way of the D99redek is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 21 reviews

if i am corret but i could be wrong u have to be tune on 7 psi n have 2 diff base maps BRooooooo..... thats could be ur problem
99redek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 45 E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondasaurusRexxx View Post
ok we're getting somwhere..Well my next question is this: lets say the car was "tuned" to run 15 lbs... but im running 7 lbs off the wastegate currently.... could the possible cause of my popping noise be unburned fuel igniting out my exhaust from running to rich? I have a hard time trusting most guages but according to my a/f guage im running stoich through my whole upper rpm range. i've searched quite a bit, and i have an idea of what im looking at here, but i havent come up with an exact solution to my problem..
it seems like its a little more than just back-pressure or after-burn... but that may also be a contributing factor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I dont like talking to car forum people as much as I used to so now I just stick to the picture threads." ~E. Jeezy

"I should have well over 30k posts but d-series.org doesn't take into account, all the shit that I talk."
~E. Jeezy

~E. Jeezy
Old 04-22-2008, 01:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 cbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 34 reviews

Quote:
What kind of a/f gauge wideband or narrow band? Under boost you shouldn't be stoich at all but you didn't specify if it was under boost or not you just said high rpms but thats something to think about if it is.

If it was infact tuned it wouldn't matter if it was at 7 or 15 or in between 0- 15 psi just not over 15 psi .The ecu automatically adjust the fuel for that given psi according to what it's tuned up too and what the map sensor is telling it. It could just be piss poor tuning and be rich all over or rich in the higher rpms to be "safe".When I was tuning my car under high rpms (over 7k) and full boost it would pop like I was hitting a limiter or boost cut almost.Turned out I was super rich in the low 10's on that run since I over compensated .I adjusted the afrs back down to the mid 11's and was fine.

You should also check your ignition componets such as the spark plug,plug gap wires and distributor.Also check your distributor timing.Those things would also cause a high rpm.Incorrect plug gaps are the most common.

Quote:
holy fXck let him go back to honda tech where he can talk about the physics of some carbon fiber kanards or however its spelled

Last edited by cbuscivictuner; 04-22-2008 at 12:00 PM.
cbuscivictuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 06:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Rep Power: 35 torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to torturedsol

Sounds like a tuning issue. Under boost I'm @ 11.3(AEM Eugo), on occasion it'll dip in to the high 10's(I'm still working minor kinks out). It would stumble a little before when it would peg the gauge out @ 10

Bust out a laptop and datalog/retune or go to a dyno and have them retune it

torturedsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

yah i'm going to get it dyno tuned. better safe then sorry. I have no experience with making my own maps so i'll leave it to someone that knows what there doing. What is the correct plug gap i should be running??
Old 04-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
i'll leave it to someone that knows what there doing.
ONE OF THE SMARTEST NEWB SAYINGS EVER!!!

~E. Jeezy

~E. Jeezy
Old 04-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

.025-.028 if you experience miss fire at higher boost close the gap a bit.

1992Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

I pulled the plugs out, they hadnt been gapped in the first place, and they looked pretty white. Im guessing its running lean. So my a/f isnt telling me a true story. Its hard to read when i hit boost. I had a friend watch the guage for me so i didnt fly off the road and he said Its more towards rich in boost. but i get quick flashes int the lean range also. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the tune or the guage is a piece of junk. made an appointment to get it tuned.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

is the gauge hooked up to a wide band O2? by the sound of it, it needs a tune and you should do it sooner rather then later. i would not trust the O2 gauge, since i doubt the previous owner did the turbo install and tune correctly.

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

yah its hooked up to a wideband. he did the install, but a local shop did the tune. I called them earlier and they said they tuned it april 4th with a dyno... so recently, and they said it was done right and running great when it left the shop. they werent sure about the plugs. They're guessing he went back in and fucked around with the tune himself, or maybe i cant read plugs. It's goin in next week either way.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

nice, it was a surprise to read that its actually hooked to a wb O2. well good luck to you.

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 04:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
It's goin in next week either way.
Very smart choice. Bring a couple sets of plugs with you. gapped from .022-.024 and .026-.028

1992Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in