Lowest driveable Compression - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 hondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Default Lowest driveable Compression

I'm asking this for a friend of mine:
He has a build z6 engine with vitara's and eagle's.Now we calculated his compression ratio with unmilled head(just cleaned)and cometic HG.And it say's 7.88 :1 Cr.Is this Cr still driveable without the turbo ?He needs to drive a few times a year without the turbo ,for Car inspection.Can this Cr still ignite the Air/Fuel ?
hondanickx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
R2.....Zap Balls

Rep Power: 36 vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vtecduck Send a message via Yahoo to vtecduck

Mine is 8.5:1 and isn't bad at all without boost. He should be able to drive it, but it may be sluggish without boost being that low. I'm sure someone with more insight on this will chime in soon.
And if it was up to me I'd have Mods ride his unicycle out and kick every single one of these dumbasses in the nuts.
Quote:
congrats to Mr and Mz Duck!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
now just keep her safe from the 3 'b's
boys, beer, and b-series.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do I miss the civic? Not really the car as much as the power it had

1993 E36 civic replacement work in progress:

vtecduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 hondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borathondanickx smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecduck View Post
Mine is 8.5:1 and isn't bad at all without boost. He should be able to drive it, but it may be sluggish without boost being that low. I'm sure someone with more insight on this will chime in soon.
What specs are you using for the vitara pistons?I have feeling that the zeal specs aren't correct on the vitara's or i did something wrong

Old 04-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
insert user title here

Rep Power: 51 drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drunkinmaster1 Send a message via Yahoo to drunkinmaster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondanickx View Post
What specs are you using for the vitara pistons?I have feeling that the zeal specs aren't correct on the vitara's or i did something wrong
hes not using vitara pistons. hes just stating his compression ratio. mine is about the same compression ratio and its felt like a n/a car out of boost.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

Well Ill let you know that your calculations are about right on my A6 its about 7.3:1 and is not bad with all my piping hooked up but I had to drive it with my cold side piping off completely it felt totally different and very sluggish but driveable he should be fine

Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Oke thx guys this help out a lot!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

yeah, hes fine. mine drives fine when boost pipe pops off every few weeks. and thats with no mill, viataras, and .051 Middle shim layer cometic gasket.

teamdohc.org
95 civic coupe ex. Vitara-hbeam Z6
New Project Built Turbo F2B F22A nonvtec into civic
93 Accord SE 4dr black9stock)
Owner @ Grab-a-Nekbrace ENT like us on Facebook!

sick1camcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
d-series resident crybaby

Rep Power: 14 3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes3rdgenhatchdx is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick1camcivic View Post
yeah, hes fine. mine drives fine when boost pipe pops off every few weeks. and thats with no mill, viataras, and .051 Middle shim layer cometic gasket.
Why does your boost pipe pop off?
3rdgenhatchdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 39 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boosted-EH-804

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgenhatchdx View Post
Why does your boost pipe pop off?
My guess cheap clamps or not so good couplings either way no good

Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 06:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie

using t bolt clamps. and expensive ass 4 ply coupler, so no isnt that.think its cause my turbo seals are going, and the first 2 couplers/piping gettin oil on it...only thing i can think of. I need to make a bead on the end of all my pipes where the couplers meet then the sob cant blow off period.

teamdohc.org

Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
fjt
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 fjt is fly like an eaglefjt is fly like an eaglefjt is fly like an eaglefjt is fly like an eaglefjt is fly like an eaglefjt is fly like an eaglefjt is fly like an eaglefjt is fly like an eaglefjt is fly like an eaglefjt is fly like an eaglefjt is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 44 reviews

I ran my Y7 vitara setup Naturally Aspirated for 1000 miles.. I took it to the track at the end of the break in period and i ran a better time with the dog low CR and vitaras than with the Higher CR stock pistons...lol

With stock 9.6:1 pistons i ran 17.2(with Short Ram)... with 7.8:1 Vitaras i ran 16.6(with homemade CAI, stock Exhaust Manifold, Z6 Intake manifold)... go figure...
fjt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 PhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjt View Post
I ran my Y7 vitara setup Naturally Aspirated for 1000 miles.. I took it to the track at the end of the break in period and i ran a better time with the dog low CR and vitaras than with the Higher CR stock pistons...lol

With stock 9.6:1 pistons i ran 17.2(with Short Ram)... with 7.8:1 Vitaras i ran 16.6(with homemade CAI, stock Exhaust Manifold, Z6 Intake manifold)... go figure...
wha?? That somehow doesn't make any sense. 9.6:1 CR compared to less than 8:1? I don't see how an intake mani would make more than a half a second difference with that big of a cut in CR. The only reason I'm even saying anything is because I'm planning on ordering some shit from you, but I was waiting on the second batch of custom length I beams because I couldn't justify to myself running any lower than 8.5:1 CR. I really didn't want to run any lower than 9, but seeing as this is my DD and I want there to be some room for error 8.5:1 will be fine...but less than 7.5 with the 137mm rods?!!! I don't know about that. But you're saying you got better performance with that low of a CR...I'm kinda second guessing myself. Someone help me out here and explain how that's possible.
PhoenixEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
My 91 Crx Hf

Rep Power: 13 bznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

How come alot of sites show vitara's as 8.5:1, when for my a6/y8 w/ .031 h/g zeal shows 7.8:1 and mini me's have higher compression than the stock motor to begin with...

and you would probably need to do some sort of tuning for such the low compression (sub 8:1), thats a large jump from factory 9's:1.
I've been thinking about getting vitara's when I purchase my rebuild kit but I won't be turbo'ing my car for at least 6 months, you guys think that with that super low compression w/ 105300 cam, and some head work it'd be around the same as a stock y8 power wise?

sorry for going off topic...

- My Egg

- Gone as well

- Sold
bznc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
yellow bar for me

lsturbohatch10 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to lsturbohatch10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixEJ1 View Post
wha?? That somehow doesn't make any sense. 9.6:1 CR compared to less than 8:1? I don't see how an intake mani would make more than a half a second difference with that big of a cut in CR. The only reason I'm even saying anything is because I'm planning on ordering some shit from you, but I was waiting on the second batch of custom length I beams because I couldn't justify to myself running any lower than 8.5:1 CR. I really didn't want to run any lower than 9, but seeing as this is my DD and I want there to be some room for error 8.5:1 will be fine...but less than 7.5 with the 137mm rods?!!! I don't know about that. But you're saying you got better performance with that low of a CR...I'm kinda second guessing myself. Someone help me out here and explain how that's possible.
id say a freshly rebuilt motor with fresh bearings and no sludge runs better than a 150k+ motor.

active REP WHORE. you rep me i rep you back, on a mission to 3000 rep points

Quote:
but thats what d-series is all about. cheap affordable performance.
lsturbohatch10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 01:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 PhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's assholePhoenixEJ1 is worse than Satan's asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbohatch10 View Post
id say a freshly rebuilt motor with fresh bearings and no sludge runs better than a 150k+ motor.
I would agree...but 9.6:1 compared to 7.8:1. I'm still not understanding how that's possible. If he were to have rebuilt his engine with the same CR and improved his time by .5 second, then that would make sense. Rebuilding and lowering the compression THAT much though, I'm still not understanding how that's possible. I'm not calling him out or anything, I just really want to know how it's possible.
PhoenixEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 RickyLee53 is learning the way of the DRickyLee53 is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixEJ1 View Post
I would agree...but 9.6:1 compared to 7.8:1. I'm still not understanding how that's possible. If he were to have rebuilt his engine with the same CR and improved his time by .5 second, then that would make sense. Rebuilding and lowering the compression THAT much though, I'm still not understanding how that's possible. I'm not calling him out or anything, I just really want to know how it's possible.

Old engine could have been down on compression due to worn ring's.

It might have had less compression than the built low comp engine.

My car's a lot slower with the lower compression, you don't notice it till you switch back to a higher comp motor.
RickyLee53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 06:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

^Exactly! If I have a chance I'll dyno my hatchback with the freshly rebuilt motor to see what the difference is between a "beat-to-hell" Z6 with horrible ring seal (factory comp) vs the fresh block with SRPs/Eagles (9:1). I would assume maybe a 7-9 hp gain over the 112.7 I laid down.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 07:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 AJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regularAJxr is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AJxr

my a6/z6 vitara with 7.5:1 compression felt just like a stock dpfi d15, thats what vtec hooked up. no problem at all driving. (first 40 miles unboosted)

- Racer
d16, eagle/vitara 19psi, 12.27 @ 110.6mph, 1.795 60ft - retired
b18b1, holset, 14psi, 11.75 @ 114.75, 1.765 60ft - BONE STOCK ENGINE - retired
forged ls-vtec, itr cams, holset cranked. 1?.?? @ 1??.??
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

maybe he ran when it was 100 degrees on the d16z6 stock compression...and when he ran the vitaras coulda been alot colder....that plays roll in traction off the line...and power period. so what hes saying im sure is 100&#37; true.

teamdohc.org

Old 04-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 BustyRucket is starting to learn the ropesBustyRucket is starting to learn the ropesBustyRucket is starting to learn the ropesBustyRucket is starting to learn the ropesBustyRucket is starting to learn the ropesBustyRucket is starting to learn the ropesBustyRucket is starting to learn the ropes

When you guys were driving these low compression N/A builds was that with the stock ecu?

BustyRucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in