Turbo Cooling Questions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Turbo Cooling Questions

So my build is using a TDO5H I'm just about 100% sure on that one..
It also has two bungs that run coolant into the turbo to help cool it along with an oil feed/return line.

So question is.. where would one go and tap in to get coolant? and I suppose tap in again to have a coolant return line?

Aswell as any suggestions for tapping the oil pan for the oil return line..
(I'm using a oil filter sandwich adapter dealio for the feed line/gauges so that's covered I just need a fitting for that.)

Thanks so much in advance.. I'd post pictures.. buuut unfortunetly car is at the shop.. where me and my camera are not.. try to get some tommorow.. thanks!!!
4banger4dr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 Y8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

just oil cool it...it will be fine...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Y8pwrdEf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 moozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regular
Send a message via AIM to moozregie

tap high in the pan so the oil return drain line remains empty
and between two pan bolts so you can get a socket on them still

if you want to do the water buy a tuner toys water block adapter
for the return you could buy a hasport k20 adapter.
they sell them for d.series size hose.
they are made to add the oem water temp sensor for the k20...but that can be plugged.
moozregie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Rep Power: 35 torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to torturedsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y8pwrdEf View Post
just oil cool it...it will be fine...
That's how I'm running mine haha.

The other guy's suggestion works too.

I'm using a td05h myself, I just cut part of the stock drain elbow off and welded another part of it to the pan and put a rubber hose inbetween them with some clamps. seems to work like a champ

(pay no mind to the other junk on my pan... the plugged bung was where I put my t3 drain too low, live and learn)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
torturedsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

i think that i'm going to use the coolant line going into the throttle body, then returning it there...

as for the oil return its going into the oil pan.. and the oil feed i'm thinking the sandwich adaptor plate.. thing is that the oil feed line is a female fitting, and the sandwich adaptor plate is the same deal, both different thread pitches, so i'm not sure get a special adaptor with two different male thread pitches, or tap in somewhere else..

oh, and whats the oil pan made of?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 X292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to X292J

oil pan -> Aluminum
Sandwich adapter ftw, personally i had no luck trying to weld the SOB

the TB route is good, another option if you change your mind is to use the TT coolant fitting with the setup. IIRC they have pics of the setup on their web site

X292J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 moozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regularmoozregie is obviously a regular
Send a message via AIM to moozregie

there is also right on the front of every block a water port
big nut
should be pretty level with most turbo setups
and from what i know...the water temps around the lower sleeves isn't all that hot.
well at least compared to the head
moozregie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Rep Power: 35 torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to torturedsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by X292J View Post
oil pan -> Aluminum
Depends on the pan. I have a z6 pan and it's a mild steel. Some of the 96 + pans were alum.

torturedsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
10 second daily driver :)

Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....Boosted91 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 24 reviews

i never ran water lines to any of my turbos, and i never will bother doing it, its just not required.
10.7 @ 137.97
1990 CRX Si D16Z6 305/265 @ 22 PSI (SOLD)
11.6 @ 118
Boosted91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 crazyxzer0 is starting to learn the ropescrazyxzer0 is starting to learn the ropescrazyxzer0 is starting to learn the ropescrazyxzer0 is starting to learn the ropescrazyxzer0 is starting to learn the ropescrazyxzer0 is starting to learn the ropes
Send a message via AIM to crazyxzer0 Send a message via MSN to crazyxzer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted91 View Post
i never ran water lines to any of my turbos, and i never will bother doing it, its just not required.
I am running it on my GT2871R.

one fitting is using the upper radiator hose using the tuner toys adapter and the other is T'eed off the water transfer tube (big pipe between water pump and thermostat) You can see the first line (blue n red in the front but the one in the back..i don't have pics for.

crazyxzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

hmm well today i drilled out the oil pan.. will be brazing the oil return line fitting tommorow.. should have the sandwich adaptor plate up and running tommorow too.. intercooler and piping is also mocked up.. bumper fits with some cutting.. dumb eg sedan

install gauges, hook everything up.. put in ecu and i'm running!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 Slowhatch is starting to learn the ropesSlowhatch is starting to learn the ropesSlowhatch is starting to learn the ropesSlowhatch is starting to learn the ropesSlowhatch is starting to learn the ropesSlowhatch is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

if your turbo has them, run them. i mean if it keeps my turbo cooler, why not?

i run my coolant lines off of the heater core lines.
OEM Main bearings
RC Autoworks ramhorn
T3 .42/.48
Precision 780's
Delta 272-2
Supertech valve springs
ARP Headstuds
Street tuned on a s300 by eee-jay-ate
Old tune: 240whp/204tq
Slowhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

how did you tap into the heater core lines?

any pics?
Old 04-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Just eliminated the heater core line off the distributor side of the head. Went from the head to turbo then turbo to heater core and heat still works fine. About 6 feet of hose at 1$ a foot.
ryan2l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in