Nitrous D17A2 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 brandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default Nitrous D17A2

My sis just got an 05 civic ex with the D17A2 which has a"learning" ecu which makes it harder to get hp, so we thought a nitrous build would be good. I heard a 35 hp of a dry shot of nitrous would be best on this engine compared to the wet b/c of the 7th gens ecu's. She first is going to get headers, test pipe, exhaust, air intake, iridium cooler plugs from ngk, and a fuel ratio gauge w/ a wideband o2 sensor.

For the nitrous kit we're thinking of this one. Is this a good kit?http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=NOS%2D05122%2D05N OS&N=700+400047+4294907813+4294907812+4294839926+4 294906227+115&autoview=sku

I read the nitrous sticky in the forced induction forum but no info on the d17's. We would like to know if anything else is needed. Some other things we think we might need but were not really sure about is a new headgasket, and a tune w/ hondata/crome or what ever she chooses to use. So are we missing anything.

Anyone used nitrous on this engine before?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brandenj; 04-10-2008 at 05:08 PM.
brandenj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Well?

Rep Power: 33 1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 38 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1.5Slowmatic

speedfoos is the one here who knows about the D17, try lookin round to his post, not sure if hes done a juice though, but i know he boosted
Quote:
Nate is seriously one of those angry white men you read about all the time.

Headlight Harness DIY Upgrade
DIY Ice Box Intake
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #7
1.5Slowmatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 05:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 brandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropes

Foos you out there. If all goes to plan my sis will have all this by the end of the summer, so build thread soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandenj View Post
My sis just got an 05 civic ex with the D17A2 which has a"learning" ecu which makes it harder to get hp, so we thought a nitrous build would be good. I heard a 35 hp of a dry shot of nitrous would be best on this engine compared to the wet b/c of the 7th gens ecu's. She first is going to get headers, test pipe, exhaust, air intake, iridium cooler plugs from ngk, and a fuel ratio gauge w/ a wideband o2 sensor.

For the nitrous kit we're thinking of this one. Is this a good kit?http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I read the nitrous sticky in the forced induction forum but no info on the d17's. We would like to know if anything else is needed. Some other things we think we might need but were not really sure about is a new headgasket, and a tune w/ hondata/crome or what ever she chooses to use. So are we missing anything.

Anyone used nitrous on this engine before?

I really don't see what the ECU has to do with a dry shot being better than a wet shot. Don't waste your money on a test pipe. It's been proven time and time again that they give like 1-2 whp and that's it.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
I really don't see what the ECU has to do with a dry shot being better than a wet shot. Don't waste your money on a test pipe. It's been proven time and time again that they give like 1-2 whp and that's it.
are you sure about that, i remember a while back speedfoos said how restrictive the pipes were going to the cat on the 7th gen's, i could custom fab for cheap but a test pipe would be easier, plus i thought the less restrictive ehaust the better on a car w/ nitrous. i could be wrong idk

Old 04-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Quote:
are you sure about that, i remember a while back speedfoos said how restrictive the pipes were going to the cat on the 7th gen's, i could custom fab for cheap but a test pipe would be easier, plus i thought the less restrictive ehaust the better on a car w/ nitrous. i could be wrong idk
The less restrictive exhaust, yeah. A test pipe to replace a cat converter, no.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Well?

Rep Power: 33 1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 38 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1.5Slowmatic

the DP on those cars are twin pipes iirc, a pipe inside a pipe and the one doing the flowing is really samll and shitty
Quote:
Nate is seriously one of those angry white men you read about all the time.

Headlight Harness DIY Upgrade
DIY Ice Box Intake
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #7
1.5Slowmatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

a few things i MUST clear up for the OP...

first, yes the ecu is a "learning" ecu, meaning it can make timing and fueling adjustments outside of what the "other" ecu's you read about on here can, this does NOT mean that it is restricting horse power...the reason that the d17 does not react well to bolt ons is not because of the ecu, but because of its design as a whole...for instance, the rod stroke ratio is bad for high rpm power, the intake manifold is the worst design EVER!! (i might be exagerating a little here)...and yes the exhuast manifold is a pipe in a pipe configuration for heat purposes...

now to help you out here...don't be stupid, get a wet shot so that you have a complete addition of nitrous AND gas so as to not have a lean situation...get a new header, keep the stock cat, or get a larger "high flow" cat from a respectable company that makes a REAL high flow cat...and last but not least you'll want a cat back that flows nicely...also probably won't hurt to get an intake, but don't go out and get the most expensive one there is...

you'll probably be fine out to a 50 wet shot, this should net you some good gains, and iirc the stock d17 has a very respectable compression ratio for a 87 octane gas burner...however if you decide to use nitrous, i would recommend getting one step colder spark plugs, and run 91 octane (probably don't need anything higher than that) this is not for horse power gain, but for insurance purposes...

hope this helps

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

i just thought u were suppose togo w/ a dry set-up on the d17's b/c of the ecu, we'll look into a wet kit. also yeah a highflow cat would be good how does this one look, i really like this company it headquarters and design shop are right down the road from me in a small town in georgia http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...890/index.html.

Good point we'll be sure to run 91 octane

Old 04-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5Slowmatic View Post
the DP on those cars are twin pipes iirc, a pipe inside a pipe and the one doing the flowing is really samll and shitty
yeah thats what i've heard from speedfoos a while back, we'll be getting a whole exhaust setup soon, eliminating this problem

Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Send a message via AIM to TransformedBG

Clint.. aka speedfoos lol.. yeah he knows the d17 but i know about it lol.. After all thats what i started with! LOL.. That motor is crap IMHO...

But if your going to spray i would suggest getting some sort of piggy back controller to help spray a little more fuel from the injectors.

But since its the A2, i have a little experience with it.. With a good driver mod, DC 4-1 Header, Apexi WSII exhaust, Injen CAI i manage to run a [email protected] on that car. so a 35 shot isnt going to help much, maybe get yah in the 14's. Just a little FYI... Then theres always the issue of traction. lol...Ask Clint about that lol
TransformedBG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

yeah i've messed w/ a little racing on my sisters 01 civic ex and wheel hop was terrible, after the motor work we're going to get some stuff to fix that, new bushings etc.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

I would suggest fixing that first.. Energy suspension motor mounts, Ingalls TQ dampener, and a nice set of coil overs you will be okay. I wouldn't even bother with nitrous.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransformedBG View Post
I would suggest fixing that first.. Energy suspension motor mounts, Ingalls TQ dampener, and a nice set of coil overs you will be okay. I wouldn't even bother with nitrous.
yeah good call, i know she will be getting the coilover's with in a little while, and we might go ahead and get the motor mounts and ingalls tq dampener, depends on prices, i know the first thing she will be doing for sure is the exhaust, and header, b/c she already has the cai thats was on her other 7th gen. thx good suggestion.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Curious George

Rep Power: 18 Belette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
The less restrictive exhaust, yeah. A test pipe to replace a cat converter, no.
I don't want to get in this deep discussion, but have you ever see a dragster with fully built engine with cat converter? stock daily car going to the race track yes, dragtser on a trailers behind a pickup truck NO. Right size and lenght tuned for the whole engine and setup. I tried many cat converters in my car from small to big ones, never get more power at high range only moving litle bit tq in mid rpm band. The best result I got is with headers-test pipe-resonator and muffler of the same size, like 2.25inches diameter.

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Awesome Photography Thread:

Belette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
i just thought u were suppose togo w/ a dry set-up on the d17's b/c of the ecu, we'll look into a wet kit. also yeah a highflow cat would be good how does this one look, i really like this company it headquarters and design shop are right down the road from me in a small town in georgia http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...890/index.html.

Good point we'll be sure to run 91 octane
this is a good company...and it is going to work like a real cat, and provide a slightly better flow through due to its size increase...

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Or you could just skip that all and get the newer DC Race 4-2-1 header lol. It will delete the cat
Old 04-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransformedBG View Post
Or you could just skip that all and get the newer DC Race 4-2-1 header lol. It will delete the cat
haha true, i saw that when we were searching for parts, but we'll probably run w/ a high flow cat

Old 04-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

ok yeah i found this http://www.civicforums.com/forums/79...trous-faq.html so i'll be going with the wet system around a 35 to start then a 50.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Just be careful man nitrous is fun, but dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in