Skunk2 Manifold help with turbo D16Y7? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Skunk2 Manifold help with turbo D16Y7?

I am looking to go turbo, I have most of the parts in mind, but since I own a DX, I know there is a bastard pipe bend that needs to be addressed because of the intake manifold. I already have eliminated the mini-me swap, as after reading several non-vtec vs vtec threads it seems not worthwhile unless going for a full build. I have noticed on many dyno charts sourced from Evans-Tuning.com that the Skunk2 manifold seems to be a popular choice with most peoples turbo setups. I plan on using the Autoworks Tuner Stage 1 setup, haven't decided on the a/r yet but I believe using this manifold will let me use the turbo kit without any other issues. Shooting for over 200whp which I feel can easily be attained, and I have the tuner to do it. Thanks in advance to the people who help.
JDMThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
FAMILY MEMBER #316

rattmann316 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rattmann316

ban

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Whip: 94 DX Hatch w/ 64k original miles and no power steering.
Xbox Gamertag: Rattmann316
(if you tryin to get moked out in COD4)
rattmann316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I made 201 whp on a 1.5 mini me,i ran a edlebrock intake though on 9 pounds.
sive ick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmann316 View Post
ban
See why do you have you be a jerk. I asked a question, a question I didn't find the answer for. I obviously have a clue what I am trying to do and just need a little insight with figuring out the induction part of the equation and you act like every other forum jackass. If you don't know the answer, don't type ban in. It doesn't make you look any more intelligent on the topic.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sive ick View Post
I made 201 whp on a 1.5 mini me,i ran a edlebrock intake though on 9 pounds.
Is there a difference in the edlebrock unit vs the skunk2? I believe they make two styles of intake manifolds, which edlebrock unit did you go with? I am just under the impression that the upgraded intake manifold will help me hold power on the top end and seeing I am going with a small turbo I wanna keep the power up as long as I can. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

1) edelbrock makes only one type of manifold for the d
2) the edelbrock IM has shorter runners, which are better for boost
3) ban

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
nonvtak ftw

Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Grounded

just find a y8 manifold and call it a day
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
1) edelbrock makes only one type of manifold for the d
2) the edelbrock IM has shorter runners, which are better for boost
3) ban
Thanks for answering my question. But the ban comment is pretty lame. Yea I am new, but you don't need to treat every new member like an child.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
nonvtak ftw

Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Grounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMThoughts View Post
Thanks for answering my question. But the ban comment is pretty lame. Yea I am new, but you don't need to treat every new member like an child.
just let it be...
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cool

Quote:
lol, so did you neg rep me or pos rep me? can't tell cause its grey since you have no rep power.

btw, the ban part was a joke. only cause you reacted to the way ratt posted "ban" as a comment. and there is a reason for it, if you had searched you would have come up with threads dealing with this subject already. :haha:

edit: to specific there are 419 threads on the subject . but i am not going to help you search anymore, cause i don't feel like it.

Last edited by 99EJ6T; 04-06-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 B20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Why spend money on an intake manifold if you only aim 200-230hp?
Even the y7 manifold can do it! lol

Last edited by B20BbenN; 04-06-2008 at 03:23 PM.
B20BbenN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B20BbenN View Post
Why spend money on an intake manifold if you only aim 200hp?
^what he said^
punkr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

I am not familiar with D-series motors, I have never even owned a car with one. This is my first go with a d-series motor so I am not sure of how capable they are and what it takes to achieve my goals. I just asked about the importance of an aftermarket intake manifold, seeing after researching most peoples builds they seemed to have Skunk2 units. Jeff Evans would be the tuner to go with in my area, seeing he is just a little over an hour away, and after searching dyno archive the majority of his tuned cars had it. They also had a mini-me conversion or were Y8 or Z6 from the factory. I already searched on here about the importance of doing mini-me, and most people said it's not worth it for boost, unless I was going with a built head setup which I don't plan on doing. I am planning on using the the 43 a/r option in the turbo kit mentioned previously because I would like the fastest spool possible. I am just trying to keep the top end as strong as possible, and most importantly making that kit bolt right up without any modifications to the intercooler piping to accept that odd-ball bend before the TB. I guess I have all my answers then, I will just go ahead and contact Autoworks and see if they could modify the piping to fit my setup. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

shocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shocker911

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
l

edit: to specific there are 419 threads on the subject . but i am not going to help you search anymore, cause i don't feel like it.
wow lol some1 has no life lol:haha:

add to the list
shocker911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

shocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the skyshocker911 is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shocker911

yea dude if you are shooting for 200-230. on a Y7 all you need is about 10 lbs boost and a good tune bang about 195-200 to the wheels.

add to the list
shocker911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all99d15b is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker911 View Post
yea dude if you are shooting for 200-230. on a Y7 all you need is about 10 lbs boost and a good tune bang about 195-200 to the wheels.
So in that case do I blam my tuner for only making 230 whp and 219tqe for me with 18lbs of boost(with a small 48 a/r bb turbo)?
99d15b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
d-series Member

hatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
See why do you have you be a jerk. I asked a question, a question I didn't find the answer for. I obviously have a clue what I am trying to do and just need a little insight with figuring out the induction part of the equation and you act like every other forum jackass. If you don't know the answer, don't type ban in. It doesn't make you look any more intelligent on the topic.
i didnt see an actual question in the first post... nope no question...

but seriously, shop around, ebay junkyards classifieds etc etc and get a five speed y8 intake mani or z6 mani. they are cheap and work just fine for what you are working at. if you use the y8, get a 96-98 five speed if you can because the five speed will accept a two wire iacv which you will be doing if you chip your ecu and it also doesnt have the air injection holes the 99-00 mani does. if you use a z6, you will need the z6 fuel rail and fuel line from the rail to the filter. you can use the y7 throttle body still just ignore the iacv on it. money to the tune of 100-150 bucks over a skunk2 saved, and boom problem solved

ban
Old 04-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
d-series Member

hatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the skyhatchnthoughts is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99d15b View Post
So in that case do I blam my tuner for only making 230 whp and 219tqe for me with 18lbs of boost(with a small 48 a/r bb turbo)?
no you blame your turbo first hahaha
Old 04-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker911 View Post
wow lol some1 has no life lol:haha:
sunday afternoon and the GF broke up with me, so i was a little bitter and bored.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchnthoughts View Post
i didnt see an actual question in the first post... nope no question...

but seriously, shop around, ebay junkyards classifieds etc etc and get a five speed y8 intake mani or z6 mani. they are cheap and work just fine for what you are working at. if you use the y8, get a 96-98 five speed if you can because the five speed will accept a two wire iacv which you will be doing if you chip your ecu and it also doesnt have the air injection holes the 99-00 mani does. if you use a z6, you will need the z6 fuel rail and fuel line from the rail to the filter. you can use the y7 throttle body still just ignore the iacv on it. money to the tune of 100-150 bucks over a skunk2 saved, and boom problem solved

ban
Thanks for the input, I thought the 96-98 manifolds to use were the automatic units. I might have misread that when I was fumbling through the archives. I thought just try and find the 99-00 seeing it would have the same wiring and whatnot but apparently thats not the case. I plan on using the Autoworks tuner stage 1 with the .48 a/r, its a T3 super 60 I believe. I was going over the math and 10 psi puts that thing awfully close to the sweet spot, so I am hoping that turbo can do what I am asking for. Thanks for the thorough information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in