Help selecting turbo - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 importheaven smells like Boratimportheaven smells like Boratimportheaven smells like Boratimportheaven smells like Boratimportheaven smells like Boratimportheaven smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Help selecting turbo

Hey guys I have searched and I could use a little help selecting a turbo. I have already bought a cast t3 flanged mani.
Requirements:

1. ac compatible
2. no preference as to waste gate
3. has to be able to be mounted so that exhaust comes out towards the ac compressor.
4. only planning on making 200whp
5. Don't care if its used
6. Less than $300
7. no prefrence as to 4 bolt or 5 bolt exhaust housing...
8. Want it to be streetable (i.e. t70 out of the question)

Let me know what you guys think...

I tried a turbo calculator that suggested a gt25. That costs $850. Greddy runs a modified td04. Would that be a better avenue to take? LMK what your guys opinions are..

MY THREAD:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MY exhaust FAQ:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
importheaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

ebay, $129 T3/T04E....

1CamW0nDer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
insert user title here

Rep Power: 51 drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drunkinmaster1 Send a message via Yahoo to drunkinmaster1

200 hp?
thunderbird / or svo mustang t3 .48/.60
ac compatible depends on who makes the manifold and downpipe. but a log manifold is most likely what you need with minimal cost and limited space.

the dsm t25 might get you close to 200 and is very easy to work with. dont expect it to hold till redline like the thunderbird turbo

Old 04-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

this thread might help you some:
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83391

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 importheaven smells like Boratimportheaven smells like Boratimportheaven smells like Boratimportheaven smells like Boratimportheaven smells like Boratimportheaven smells like Borat

^ yeah I gotta select a turbo first though

MY THREAD:

MY exhaust FAQ:

Old 04-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

want me to walk you though it? damn. pick a used t3 that is out there (aka the ones drunk posted) and then run then through the info posted in the other thread. its really not that hard.

fuck it, never mind.

99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Thanks man I appreciate it BUT
Quote:
I gotta select a turbo first
No need to walk me through anything, I am plenty capable of reading. I have to find a turbo, then find a compressor map for it, then determine whether or not its gonna work for me... Appreciate the help though

MY THREAD:

MY exhaust FAQ:

Old 04-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Crazy idea:
Could I get a t3 exhaust housing on one of these?
http://www.turbochargers.com/store/p...roducts_id=423

Don't massacre me if this is a dumb idea! Just trying to be creative, I know I have heard of frankensteins before.

Can someone with knowledge on volvo's help me dechiper this thread?
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...howtopic=19440

MY THREAD:

MY exhaust FAQ:

Last edited by importheaven; 04-02-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of the D

Rep Power: 26 Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by importheaven View Post
Crazy idea:
Could I get a t3 exhaust housing on one of these?
http://www.turbochargers.com/store/p...roducts_id=423

Don't massacre me if this is a dumb idea! Just trying to be creative, I know I have heard of frankensteins before.

Can someone with knowledge on volvo's help me dechiper this thread?
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...howtopic=19440

I'm sure you could change the housing, but an adapter from someone like BMC seems more practical (or just buying a turbo with a T3 flange):

http://www.bmcrace.com

The other turbo you might want to consider, is a little smaller than the Ford T3, and that is the .42/.48 T3 used on Saabs and some other stuff.

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

^ yeah I have an adaptor but the popular thought process on the dsm forums is that those things leak really bad...

MY THREAD:

MY exhaust FAQ:

Old 04-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of the D

Rep Power: 26 Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
^ yeah I have an adaptor but the popular thought process on the dsm forums is that those things leak really bad...

OK... I've never dealt with one, but that's believable.

The Volvo guys are trying to put together an upgraded turbo to fit some proprietry flange using a 16g wheel in a properly flanged and modified 12b housing.

Seems to me like you would be best off just getting a T3 flanged turbo.

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

If your goals are only 200 whp then pick up a T3 .42 / .48 off a Saab or volvo (can't remember which one this turbo was on). I've bought two since I entered the scene and found both for under $100 shipped with no shaft play.

Btw I wouldn't go around assuming that your cast mani is a/c compatible unless you know it to be an ABSOLUTE FACT. Many people have bought cast mani's off of ebay that were "a/c compatible" that weren't.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

^ yeah it depends on turbo and the way the dp is routed... No mani is totally ac compatible it depends on other factors as well...

Hence why I am going through so much trouble to make sure I get the right turbo

MY THREAD:

MY exhaust FAQ:

Old 04-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
insert user title here

Rep Power: 51 drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drunkinmaster1 Send a message via Yahoo to drunkinmaster1

Quote:
^ yeah it depends on turbo and the way the dp is routed... No mani is totally ac compatible it depends on other factors as well...

Hence why I am going through so much trouble to make sure I get the right turbo
talk to Greg from autoworks once you find the turbo that you want.
he can mock up pretty much the same turbo and fab up a manifold and downpipe according to your application.
charge / intercooler piping are pretty easy to do yourself with some 180 bends.
but it helps to know what turbo that youre using.
theres plenty of options with your power goals, it just depends on when you want your turbo to start spooling.

a quick spooling turbo like the t25 or greddy 15g will fall on its face on the upper rpms.

medium spoolers like the tdo5 14b or t3 .48/.42 will do nicely for midrange

and topend spoolers like the 16g, t3 .48/.60 , t3 .63/.60 , etc will pull more aggressively near and past stock redline.

and thats another thing, if you do plan on going with the fast spooler. greddy does make a 15g kit with the manifold thats ac and power steering compatible.
its a real nice starter kit that you can always improve on a few things like engine management, downpipe, injectors.
look around because people sell their kits used allot making a nice cheap little kit
Old 04-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I have seen them for as low as $1000, but always prefer to do it myself... Yeah I have already contacted autoworks but i did it about the greddy dp...

MY THREAD:

MY exhaust FAQ:

Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Hey guys, is $275 shipped a good price for a greddy td04, exhaust outlet, and dp???

Does that turbo have a t3 flange?

This is what the gasket looks like, and it looks pretty close

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gredd...QQcmdZViewItem

MY THREAD:

MY exhaust FAQ:

Last edited by importheaven; 04-03-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in