Turbo Build - Need opinions.... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 CivicEXCoupe  is accepted as part of the communityCivicEXCoupe  is accepted as part of the communityCivicEXCoupe  is accepted as part of the communityCivicEXCoupe  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Turbo Build - Need opinions....

I had already bought a spare Z6 and after the research, decided to build it. (I haven't started on it yet) However, I was snooping through a local wrecking yard and found a B18b complete with tranny.
Motor - $275
tranny - $250

Damnit all to hell.....So, I know this is a D forum, however, I saw some videos on youtube of some 600+ hp B builds, which got me thinking.....

Honestly, Money isn't an issue. I don't have DEEP pockets, but I pay for the best quality parts and expect alot out of them. I have already read the thread on B vs. D swaps, etc....(about 7 times) And I am still left thinking that I should go with my original plan and building a NASTY D.......

Opinions or Flames.....
CivicEXCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

i have both,so i cant say dont buy the b.but i can get all the power i need out of my d.just depends on your goals.if you can pick up the b cheap enough you can always resell it,or have a back up motor.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

i have built both.

if you can get the b-swap for cheap, then they are worth it to swap.

its all depends on the price you can get the b swap for honestly. just don't forget about mounts and linkage when it comes to a b swap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

I'd say it depends on your power goals. 400 is totally doable on a stock D block; so if it's in that neighorhood or lower I'd stick with D-series personally.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 CivicEXCoupe  is accepted as part of the communityCivicEXCoupe  is accepted as part of the communityCivicEXCoupe  is accepted as part of the communityCivicEXCoupe  is accepted as part of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK92_D16 View Post
I'd say it depends on your power goals. 400 is totally doable on a stock D block; so if it's in that neighorhood or lower I'd stick with D-series personally.
That is just it....400 sounds good.....but 500+ sounds better. And I don't plan on a stock block, it will be sleeved, all forged internals, etc....That would be for either block, D or B..... and I will go turbo... The only issue I see is the transmission. From what Bone was saying 400 - 450 is about the limit of the D series EX tranny.

The other thing that brought this about, my wife was saying I should just get another car and keep my coupe to build the shit outta it.....so being completly streetable is not so much of a necessity now.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Well?

Rep Power: 33 1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 38 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1.5Slowmatic

id say do the B-swap and do a mild build on the D as a back up motor. You know like TT rods, vitaras, ARPS, ect... enough to handle some decent levels but still be fairly cheap
Quote:
Nate is seriously one of those angry white men you read about all the time.

Headlight Harness DIY Upgrade
DIY Ice Box Intake
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #7
1.5Slowmatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 164 reviews

A fully built "B" will make as much power as your pocket and patience can afford.
A fully built "D" has been proven up to the 600whp mark, that may go up some this year, but that's about it.

Which would you rather win a race with?
GO-AUTOWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 45 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoworks View Post
neither. F2B
^then again that kind of swap/build is way more then doing the b swap or d build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
99EJ6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of the D

Rep Power: 26 Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....Aragorn Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicEXCoupe View Post
The other thing that brought this about, my wife was saying I should just get another car and keep my coupe to build the shit outta it.....so being completly streetable is not so much of a necessity now.
Momma's happy, everybodies happy! You need a B-series! Seriously, if your wife is OK with spending the money, I say get the B-series. On the other hand, I decided a while ago that I'd rather put the extra money for a B-series swap into building and turboing my D-series. I can still streetable and deep into the 11s with my Z6. I'll be good with that!

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

If you're planning on sleeving anyways, go B series. GL!
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

I say, if you can get the B for that cheap, and it wont cost you too much to swap it, build the b. Especially since your gonna build it with all the best parts. The B just has more potential. In that case you can do an Ls/Vtech if you wanted. I know I few guys in my area who have em and they make some good power.
p.s. oh and if you decide not to build the b, then i would possibly be interested in buying from you.
99Blackex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoworks View Post
A fully built "B" will make as much power as your pocket and patience can afford.
A fully built "D" has been proven up to the 600whp mark, that may go up some this year, but that's about it.

First off, thank you all for the replies.

Autoworks - You say that a D 600whp may go up....??? What new and exciting products are coming out? The last 2 motors I built were the supposed step-children of race motors (Mopar V-8s), I built them to prove people wrong, etc....and to win. hahahaha. And to be honest, that is the MAIN pull for me to build the D. I figure my plan will take me about 2 years to complete (since my son is in private school and my daughter in daycare).
Old 03-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
mmmmm sexy bay

Rep Power: 50 jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyb34

Quote:
That is just it....400 sounds good.....but 500+ sounds better. And I don't plan on a stock block, it will be sleeved, all forged internals, etc....That would be for either block, D or B..... and I will go turbo... The only issue I see is the transmission. From what Bone was saying 400 - 450 is about the limit of the D series EX tranny.

just from reading this right here i would say your better of buying a b swap

when you get to the point of wanting a 500+ whp car.. the sohc isnt the way to go, not to mention imo sleeving a sohc is a waste of money..

the whole point of staying with the d is cheap power.. it isnt cheap once you start going for 400+

jimmyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Curious George

Rep Power: 18 Belette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatnessBelette is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Quote:

Did you ever tried a front wheel drive with over 300whp ? It's starting to be hard keeping on the road in acceleration. What is the need of 500 instead of 400 ? Do you think you will get profit to have 500 instead of 400 ? You'll see almost no difference 0-100 mph, Passing level of 350whp in our light car is plenty, and over that become dangerous in some hands.

I don't want to piss on you, but If you don't know what to do, should I swap a D B or K or F or H and go turbo after ? I don't think you're at the point to build a 500hp civic, you're not ready to build this kind of monster. Start to choose the best engine for your application, and after think about what are the best mod for THIS engine. You won't build a non vtec D the same as H22A vtec to get 400whp.

Setup in building:

Video of my old setup:

Awesome Photography Thread:

Belette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in