Got a call today from the shop - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 bbsccr01 is learning the way of the Dbbsccr01 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Default Got a call today from the shop

I just want to run afew things by with you guys that the shop said today. First off, the spring in my wastegate is a .9bar spring. I am going to get a .4 or a .5 bar. I asked them about my ignition. It is all stock. Stock dizzy and coil. Asked about the size of plug wires and plugs. He told me that the stock dizzy is fine for the amount of boost I want to run, which is about 7psi. The only thing I need to buy is bigger spark plug wires. That I did know. But, what about the rest of it? He said it is all ok. Not needed. I asked about upgrading the ignition coil. Maybe buying a bigger one, one that produces more spark. He said not needed also. Just spark plug wires. I am asking you guys, for two reasons. One is that I really don't have time to learn everything that is involved with building this engine. I wish I did, but I don't. Two is I want to make sure I don't get scammed or that it does get put back together and I ask I am on my way to my house, there is no booms. I am nervous, cause that is a shitload of money I just handed over to them, and I don't know them. So, is it all accurate, or is he feeding me crap. Some things I do know, but overall, he knows I don't know everything or I would have done it myself.
bbsccr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 DougNuts is da #1 stunnaDougNuts is da #1 stunnaDougNuts is da #1 stunnaDougNuts is da #1 stunnaDougNuts is da #1 stunnaDougNuts is da #1 stunnaDougNuts is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

From what I've read on here from other guys, he's being straight with you. Stock dizzy should work to 3-400hp I think.
DougNuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
mmmmm sexy bay

Rep Power: 50 jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyb34

stock everything will be fine for 7 psi... bigger wires arent needed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jimmyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
R2.....Zap Balls

Rep Power: 36 vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vtecduck Send a message via Yahoo to vtecduck

The fac ign is fine, there are plenty of stock ign high hp turbo set ups out there. I've never heard of having to get bigger plug wires though.
And if it was up to me I'd have Mods ride his unicycle out and kick every single one of these dumbasses in the nuts.
Quote:
congrats to Mr and Mz Duck!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
now just keep her safe from the 3 'b's
boys, beer, and b-series.

Do I miss the civic? Not really the car as much as the power it had

1993 E36 civic replacement work in progress:

vtecduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 bbsccr01 is learning the way of the Dbbsccr01 is learning the way of the D

ok. I really don't plan on high hp yet. I am going to save some money a rebuild the block on my spare engine. Well, thats the plan. Then I'll boost higher. So, even the same spark plugs wires, (maybe new ones) would work, and I can leave everything stock. Cool, saves me some money. Now, how about spark plugs. Should I go one lower, or leave them alone as well? Damn, you guys are quick. :mikej:
Old 09-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
R2.....Zap Balls

Rep Power: 36 vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vtecduck Send a message via Yahoo to vtecduck

I run NGK bcpr7es in mine. I believe they are one step colder.
And if it was up to me I'd have Mods ride his unicycle out and kick every single one of these dumbasses in the nuts.
Quote:
congrats to Mr and Mz Duck!
now just keep her safe from the 3 'b's
boys, beer, and b-series.

Do I miss the civic? Not really the car as much as the power it had

1993 E36 civic replacement work in progress:

vtecduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Id say nice new stock wires and a one step cooler plug should do it. It's a good sign usually when the shop is telling you not to buy stuff. If they were just after your money they'll usually try to sell you everything in the store at a nice mark up no less LOL.
16333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Very true. I did however pony up 350 for AEM wideband sensor and I think the controller/guage. I don't know. He is Chinese and their english isn't completely understanding. And he quoted me on a complete rebuild, putting the motor in my car after taking out the old one, and installing the turbo for 1200. I think thats fair. Not including 140 for dyno time to tune, per hour. Should be under 2k or so. I can't wait till next weekend, when I pick it up.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

ngk 7s with a .030 gap
check your dizzy cap and rotor (replace if needed)
if your going to replace wires dont cheap out get oem replacement
after market ones suck they are for looks only (heard good things about ngks but dont have experience with them)
1200 is not bad, but a rebuild is a waste of money imo you could of spent a bit more and got a minor build and ran more boost
i dont know about the 140 for tune i street tune mine and its good enough for low boost

Last edited by Atticus; 09-13-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

http://www.importbuilders.com/simplerulestofollow.htm
sleepgsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
ngk 7s with a .030 gap
check your dizzy cap and rotor (replace if needed)
if your going to replace wires dont cheap out get oem replacement
after market ones suck they are for looks only (heard good things about ngks but dont have experience with them)
1200 is not bad, but a rebuild is a waste of money imo you could of spent a bit more and got a minor build and ran more boost
i dont know about the 140 for tune i street tune mine and its good enough for low boost

ok. For the tune, thats part of the rubuild, putting all my aftermarket stuff back in. and the installing it and etc... not bad, cause i ain't really got time to do it. you street tuned? I don't know if I could trust myself into tuning it and doing it right, since I never done it before.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 SOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

bisi holds a world record on the stock dizzy w/ upgraded coil

personally I'd wait till the stock coil failed before upgrading it - won't hurt anything if it fails
Hondata S300/P28, Innovate LC1 wideband

SOHC_STUDENT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC_STUDENT View Post
bisi holds a world record on the stock dizzy w/ upgraded coil

personally I'd wait till the stock coil failed before upgrading it - won't hurt anything if it fails
Im just going to leave it all stock except the colder plug. that should be fine. I already got a new rotor and dizz cap. and I'll get new wires too.

I do have a question. is 8.5:1 compression to low a boosted d16z6 at 7 psi?

Last edited by bbsccr01; 09-14-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in