Manual Boost Controller questions, pix inside - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Manual Boost Controller questions, pix inside

Im using GM 3bar map sensor with this manual boost controller. I open the MBC all the way, i can tell its all the way open cuz i hear ticking sound every one complete turn of the knob, and when we street tune the car 3rd gear pull it only registered 14psi. I was expecting higher than that since the MBC is wide open.

I installed a 9psi spring to my wastegate i dont know if that matters. My 3bar map sensor's vacuum is hooked up behind the intake manifold, below the brake booster vacuum and the hose is about 14". Is my 3bar map vacuum hose too long thats why im not getting high psi?

If you look at the location of my MBC in the pix, on the right side beside the engine mount, its kind the far from the vacuum source to what i think (left nipple connected to the turbo compressor and righ nipple connected to the bottom port of the wastegate).

Is my MBC too far from the vacuum source?
or
My MBC looks cheap that you can find it in any hardware store, is this MBC can only do 14psi?
or
vacuum leak probably?

Any help and ideas please feel free to post a reply.

Thanks

Last edited by 2civic3; 09-12-2007 at 07:15 PM.
2civic3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 TSi4G63T will become famous soon enoughTSi4G63T will become famous soon enoughTSi4G63T will become famous soon enough

Pics don't work. Also, every ball and spring MBC that i have ever seen turning it all the way out will decrease the boost because you are relieving the pressure off the ball letting all the pressure go to your wastegate.
TSi4G63T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

SOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Its a cheap way to adjust boost... But it is not as reliable as some people think.. I have seen more engines EXPLODE due to that way of controling boost...
SOHCinWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 TSi4G63T will become famous soon enoughTSi4G63T will become famous soon enoughTSi4G63T will become famous soon enough

It's not too far from the vac source thats for sure. MBC looks like poo though.
Look for leaks in the pressure feed. That would be the only leak (if there is a leak) that would cause it to not boost high enough. A leak in the line to the wg would cause over boost.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 cbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 34 reviews

I actually have the real version of that boost controller (turbonetics vbc) and it was a bitch to hook up right.I had to do it like so.When I had it like yours it wouldn't work right no matter how much I turned it.

and then later changed to this

boost controller

Long lines can effect map readings.I mounted my map sensor pretty much as close as possible to my boost gauge and noticed a diffrence vs,when i had it on a vacuum manifold.If your really worried about overboosting it would take even a novice tuner 10 seconds to add boost cut to your rom.

Last edited by cbuscivictuner; 09-12-2007 at 07:35 PM.
cbuscivictuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHCinWA View Post
Its a cheap way to adjust boost... But it is not as reliable as some people think.. I have seen more engines EXPLODE due to that way of controlling boost...
True for ebay MBCs and nearly ALL bleader type MBCs. I ran a dejon tool MBC on my talon VERY reliably. No spike and very consistent. Joe P is a very nice MBC also. Its just all in the parts you buy.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 14 cbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to allcbuscivictuner is a name known to all

You also need to put some tape or teflon paste on those allen key fittings because they can leak
Old 09-13-2007, 02:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuscivictuner View Post
I actually have the real version of that boost controller (turbonetics vbc) and it was a bitch to hook up right.I had to do it like so.When I had it like yours it wouldn't work right no matter how much I turned it.

and then later changed to this

boost controller

Long lines can effect map readings.I mounted my map sensor pretty much as close as possible to my boost gauge and noticed a diffrence vs,when i had it on a vacuum manifold.If your really worried about overboosting it would take even a novice tuner 10 seconds to add boost cut to your rom.
I thought the top port of the wastegate is use only for Electronic boos controller?
If i turn the knob clockwise that means turning the boost up right?
I'll try to move the map sensor close to the vacuum line first then look for leaks on hoses and those allen key on the MBC. I should get higher than 14lbs.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Usually yea but It more or less depends on the type of mbc(bleeder or ball and spring).That way also prevents spiking/creep and changes,due to weather conditions.This is really for bleeder styles.Clockwise should turn it up.Mine has an arrow on it that says increase,but I don't know if the knock off's do.Really I hate bleeder boost controllers but mine was cheap and new.Some kid on craigslist was selling a box of turbonetics gaskets this controller kit,stickers,lines and 5 couplers and fittings for 40 bucks

If you look at the real kit,It even says they only work on dual port wastegates.

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/produc...&category_id=2

Nobody really does it that way but it's even what tial recomends for some mbc's

Last edited by cbuscivictuner; 09-13-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Lol.Sorry for killing your post with the pictures,but it goes to what I was saying how these type of boost controllers should be hooked up

In this pic you can kinda see what im saying with how the directions say it should be installed.Pretty much the first picture I posted.The actual mbc is blocking the "T" to the wastegate/mbc from whatever boost source your using.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuscivictuner View Post
Lol.Sorry for killing your post with the pictures,but it goes to what I was saying how these type of boost controllers should be hooked up

In this pic you can kinda see what im saying with how the directions say it should be installed.Pretty much the first picture I posted.The actual mbc is blocking the "T" to the wastegate/mbc from whatever boost source your using.

Hey cbuscivictuner, can you take some more pictures how you installed your MBC in your engine bay?
So, that "T" will be connected to WG, MBC and turbo(compressor). Is that correct? What are the boost source your talking about(vacuum source??)?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Will do when its light outside.Basically what they want you to do

run a line from a boost only source.put a "t" in that line.One side goes to the lower wastegate port.The other line goes to the boost controller with the arrow going> other side of the line goes to the wastegate top port.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

let me just clear this again, so the "T" will be connected to the Turbo compressor or Intake manifold?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

I recomend the compressor housing since it's not suppose to see vacuum.

I use the intake manifold but I have a small check valve.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 zex_cool will become famous soon enoughzex_cool will become famous soon enoughzex_cool will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

that boost controller is the worst i've seen !! get your self something different. im using a homemade ball and spring type controller and it holds rock solid at any boost level, be it 11psi or 20psi.

b16a w/[email protected]~12psi 320whp 225tq - [email protected] [BFG dr's] - sold
b16a w/[email protected] 250whp 164tq - upgraded
b16a stock 130whp 95tq - boosted
z6 w/[email protected] 301whp 252tq - [email protected] [BFG dr's] - sold
y7 w/[email protected] 193whp 182tq - [email protected] [street tires] - sold
zex_cool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

Fact: bleeder type boost controllers suck lol.Mine works good and holds pressure but that's after trying to figure out how to hook it up right and find the directions.Never spiked or creeped on me once

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
holy fXck let him go back to honda tech where he can talk about the physics of some carbon fiber kanards or however its spelled

Last edited by cbuscivictuner; 09-14-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

I'll try to hook it up like what cbuscivictuner did and see if I get high boost. Really appreciate y'all help and comments. I'll update asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in