Is it worth it to go with a BB turbo?? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 funkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Default Is it worth it to go with a BB turbo??

so the time has come for me to start thinking about my turbo choice.
Is it worth the extra cash to go with a BB? Since the price is nearly double that of a regular turbo.

Goals: 250-300whp on a daily driver with weekend track use.

Ive narrowed it down to a GT28RS (Disco Potato) or a T3/T4 T04E 57Trim 0.63 a/r

I know that the GT will definitely spool faster, which leads to a bigger power band and more fun for daily driving. But how much of a difference is there?

It normally comes in a T25 housing, and it seems like you can also get a T3 housing which may make things easier when choosing a mani since many of the ones ive seen around have a T3 flange. Does it change the characteristics of the turbo if i change up the housings??

The Hatch is gonna be parked over the winter so im in no rush to get things done, since I wont see any bit of spring until about April! Its a sad truth that goes with living as far north as I do....

Any input would be appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

funkified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 white-vic is learning the way of the Dwhite-vic is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

if your going for 250-300 whp i'd say gt28rs all the way, it's a great turbo for dd for the d16. and if you want to step on it, it rips hard with sick midrange power..... it's pricey tough, but imo worth it.....
white-vic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 164 reviews

IMO...No.
I'd actually go with a T3/T4 50 trim .63 A/R. Still spools fairly fast and will get you to your power goal easily...and then some.

Take the $600 you save and put towards more parts/manifolds/etc.

(EDIT NOTE: Not saying the Disco isn't a good turbo because it is, I just wouldn't purchase one in this scenario. I've only used it on a customer setup once)

Last edited by GO-AUTOWORKS; 09-11-2007 at 08:55 AM.
GO-AUTOWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 white-vic is learning the way of the Dwhite-vic is learning the way of the D

by the way,your car is sick....
Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!
GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!GO-AUTOWORKS is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-vic View Post
by the way,your car is sick....
any pics??
Old 09-11-2007, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 funkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatnessfunkified is approaching greatness

thanks guys!
heres a recent thread with some newer pics.
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73960

so since its primarily my DD, im concerned about spool times, id like that pep around the city and that kick in the ass in the top end, seems like the GT can offer that, or am I wrong?? I really dont want a narrow powerband.

Last edited by funkified; 09-11-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

go rs, t3/t4 is a great turbo to but imo its more a dragstrip turbo, offering great power above 6000 rpm.... if you want big midrange torque, go with the rs hands down...
Old 09-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

hmm ya i was really gung ho for the hybrid turbo because of the price and potential. then my buddy had a RS which he swore by and he was boosting a on Y8. The idea of good midrange power is enticing! Of course money is an issue, that extra $600-700 can pay for my mani!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

50 trim .63 A/R , stock rev limiter, 10 psi

Did a setup for sohcvtec91, .48A/R 50 trim 202/189tq @ 8psi (on a cast log mani)

You still have plenty of powerban.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoworks View Post

Did a setup for sohcvtec91, .48A/R 50 trim 202/189tq @ 8psi (on a cast log mani)

You still have plenty of powerban.
oh that looks nice on only 10psi? would you have a chart for a 57 trim?? hmmmm you sir have definitely given me something to think about

Last edited by funkified; 09-11-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewt...be2e91ba4b43da

i like this one to
Old 09-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Thing about BB turbos, not rebuildable.

Also, evans dyno known to read higher than the rest.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

This'll help on your original topic...https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70633
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkified View Post
oh that looks nice on only 10psi? would you have a chart for a 57 trim?? hmmmm you sir have definitely given me something to think about
The red was on a 57trim. I ended up making 220 on the 57 I beleive @ the same PSI.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
FAMILY MEMBER #316

rattmann316 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rattmann316

my turbo is journal bearing. i used to rock a ball bearing. i dont notice a difference except price and bone was right about the rebuild thing.

New Whip: 94 DX Hatch w/ 64k original miles and no power steering.
Xbox Gamertag: Rattmann316
(if you tryin to get moked out in COD4)
rattmann316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmann316 View Post
my turbo is journal bearing. i used to rock a ball bearing. i dont notice a difference except price and bone was right about the rebuild thing.
why cant they be rebuilt?

i was reading on the Garrett website and they made this claim.
"In fact, many drag racers running Garrett ball bearing turbos have not needed to rebuild or replace their turbos for multiple seasons. Can you say that about your turbo?"

They also have a "BB service" program that gives you a discount on a new turbo but the discount isnt really all that special.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...m_May_2007.pdf

Last edited by funkified; 09-11-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

if you got a bb turbo and you hook up the waterlines, it would outlast any journal bearing turbo?? if not ,why did garret upgrade to the bb turbo's in the firstplace?? timeline is journal< bb for some reason??
Old 09-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 14 greasemonky50 is obviously a regulargreasemonky50 is obviously a regulargreasemonky50 is obviously a regulargreasemonky50 is obviously a regulargreasemonky50 is obviously a regulargreasemonky50 is obviously a regulargreasemonky50 is obviously a regulargreasemonky50 is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

you dont need a bb turbo for those numbers plus that fact of not being able to rebuild it sucks for the price of one. i say t3/t4 50 trim 63 .a.r
greasemonky50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
R2.....Zap Balls

Rep Power: 36 vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vtecduck Send a message via Yahoo to vtecduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoworks View Post
that's what I plan on getting on Greg's advice.
And if it was up to me I'd have Mods ride his unicycle out and kick every single one of these dumbasses in the nuts.
Quote:
congrats to Mr and Mz Duck!
now just keep her safe from the 3 'b's
boys, beer, and b-series.

Do I miss the civic? Not really the car as much as the power it had

1993 E36 civic replacement work in progress:

vtecduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
FAMILY MEMBER #316

rattmann316 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rattmann316

bb just lets the shaft spin with less friction and that in turn allows for a faster spooling turbo as long as all things are the same (trim, AR, etc.)

New Whip: 94 DX Hatch w/ 64k original miles and no power steering.
Xbox Gamertag: Rattmann316
(if you tryin to get moked out in COD4)
rattmann316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in