It's burning oil, what would d-series.org do? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 07:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 Dinosaur is starting to learn the ropesDinosaur is starting to learn the ropesDinosaur is starting to learn the ropesDinosaur is starting to learn the ropesDinosaur is starting to learn the ropesDinosaur is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dinosaur
Question It's burning oil, what would d-series.org do?

I've been adding oil to it all summer. No drops on the driveway and the back bumper is covered in soot.
The engine is a JDM D15B with a Greddy kit at 6 psi, in a 1993 Civic LX sedan.

My question is:
Should I pull the D15B and re build it or buy a junkyard engine and rebuild it?
Either option has it's benifits. If I buy a junkyard engine, I can rebuild it with out disabling the car. Keeping the D15B would save me a trip to the junkyard and the cost of another engine.
Would parts for a USDM engine be cheaper than for the JDM engine?
vtec or non-vtec?

Either way the engine will be re-built for boost. I'm ready to ditch the Greddy kit and go HMT.
When all is said and done, I'd like to break in the 13's on the 1/4 mile.

What do you guys think?
Dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 ghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebodyghettoturbo is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

personally if your goal is to build something i would find a d16 somewhere to play around with while you keep driving your car
ghettoturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 07:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
4 doors of fury!!!!

Rep Power: 20 dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!
dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dfanatic

there is a possibilty your problem might not be your motor. before i jump to conclusions and buy another one id inspect that turbo and make sure that it is leaking internally.

and used d15bs arent that expensive. i might rather get one of those than the d16. but some peaple like d16s better. anyway good luck with it man.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

if you do not have another mode of transportation then id say buy an engine and build it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheMikeWoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Is the chassis VTEC or not?? KISS.

Also, VTEC motors burn oil. My motor is in great shape, compression perfect, etc. but I burn a quart every 2,500 miles.
Richie_A_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
4 doors of fury!!!!

Rep Power: 20 dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!
dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!dfanatic is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dfanatic

i burn a little bit of oil too, but it sounds like he has a little bit more of a problem.check that turbo dude.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

First of all, you need to make sure you have a good and effective PCV setup.
Moonlapse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 Dinosaur is starting to learn the ropesDinosaur is starting to learn the ropesDinosaur is starting to learn the ropesDinosaur is starting to learn the ropesDinosaur is starting to learn the ropesDinosaur is starting to learn the ropes
Send a message via Yahoo to Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie_A_19 View Post
Is the chassis VTEC or not?? KISS.
KISS - Keep it simple stupid?
Car was not vtec when new. I'm using the D15B P08 ecu w/ the greddy emanage unit.

dfanatic- I never thought about that. If it is the turbo, I would expect to see oil in my charge piping. Once it stops raining, I'll pull a pipe off and look inside.

Luckly I don't have to drive this car every day.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53542
Dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Can you see when its burning the oil? Specifically when youre coasting, idling, on throttle, off throttle, etc? I had an issue with my car pooping out oil and it turned out my oil pressure at the turbo was too high and my pcv setup was plugged. Cleaned out the pcv setup and reduced the oil pressure at the turbo and no smoke since. Oil psi at the turbo should be 19-20 idle and 30-32psi max everywhere else.
MSUGeoman22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

I dunno what you guys are talking about, buy I have a Z6 with 157,xxx and I burn no oil at all. I've heard supposedly H22's eat a tiny bit of oil, but I don't know how much truth to that there is.

Also, I agree with dfanatic. I'd make sure its actually your motor burning oil before you decide you want to replace it. If its the turbo or some associated part, you can fix that and take your time to put money into building a solid motor to swap in later for more boost.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

if you can find a junkyard motor cheap, id pick it up and rebuild it. that way you can keep your car on the road until its done

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Check turbo, do a leakdown test, and check the pcv setup and that should give you indicators of which direction to go next.
MSUGeoman22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2007, 11:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

99% chance if it's a JDM D15B, you are looking at valvestem seals.
MidCalTuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in