Cleaning metal shavings from motor - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Cleaning metal shavings from motor

What is the most cost effective and efficient way to clean the metal shavings from my motor?

Its no chunks, just magnetic shavings that are assumed to be my turbo bearing ground up, the turbo doesn't spin hardly by hand, I mean it literally spins about 1/8th a turn when you spin it by hand.

The reason I say cost effective is because if I spun a rod in the motor I'd hate to spend 50$ cleaning the motor(oil,filter,cleaning junk?) just to find that out.

Name brands of cleaning stuff, seafoam(LOL)? I am thinking get some old oil without metal shavings in it, run the oil through it mixed with seafoam and use and old oil filter without metal shavings in it?

What works?
SprayMySol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Ouch. There really is no good way to do it without pulling the motor IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

SOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

You are screwed.... You honestly need to pull it out and disassemble it to get out all of the shavings.. If not, you run a high risk of hurting alot more of your engine...
SOHCinWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 green_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eagle

At the very MINIMUM I'd pull the oil pan and clean both the pan and oil pickup, plus replace the oil filter. Here you can at least do a tactile check for spun rod bearing(s), but I don't know if it can be felt by hand since I've never found one before. Main bearings, dunno if you can see that. Probably not.

If applicable also remove, clean, and if necessary replace the vtec solenoid gasket-screen (replacing the 3 mounting bolts if never changed out before).

Gasket is about $15, Hondabond-4 is $6, vtec gasket-screen if needed is cheap too.

At this point change out/ repair the turbo.

When all done, fill with cheap 10w30, run for 5 minutes, change out oil, put in good stuff, and run.

Then again I'm a cheapo hopeful person and if a main is spun you're back at square one.
green_hornet_96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default yup

and I would say dont delay because a problem like that could turn out that you wouldnt want that engine anymore let alone clean it
riceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Green Hornet, I don't want to waste time pulling a D15B7 and cleaning it, its not exactly the Rolls Royce of the D series. I can get another B7 cheap. I'm going to just do it the ghetto way, drop the oil pan, clean it, clean the oil pick up. Run cheapo, flush and drive if applicable.

I'll drop the oil pan and clean the pickup again after I run cheapo.

If its bad I'll swap the Y8, the B7 is not too sentimental IMO, its been my DOG motor and has held up better than I could have ever imagined.
SprayMySol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2007, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 Swipe'd smells like BoratSwipe'd smells like BoratSwipe'd smells like BoratSwipe'd smells like BoratSwipe'd smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Swipe'd

u can also put a magnet r series of magnets on the oil filter, ive seen that werk b4, but if its aluminum ur look'n for im not sure...
Swipe'd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in