Honda D Series Forum banner

piston install guide?

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  chadawesome 
#1 ·
I just finished reading the 400+ hp vitaras thread and I like this idea alot. I plan on getting vitaras, TT rodds, and APR headstuds. I remember seeing a guide on installing pistons without removieing the engine and I also saw a guide on how to notch the block for aftermarket rods ( do TT rods need notching?). Can somebody link me to these DIYs I can't seem to find it anyware.

Also is ftj still selling vitaras or is he still having shipping issues and not recieving any ( I read a thread on turbod16 a lil bit back).

Thx.

#2 ·
rods/pistons are a lot easier to install with the motor out. but if you are running h-beams, they will require notching, and then the block will have to be thoroughly cleaned to remove all debris.

you are going to have to pull the motor and completely disassemble to do this setup

#4 ·
I have a chance to buy a short d16z6 block for $100, if I did that and istalled everything would it be as simple as swaping over the head from my currnet engine (d16z6) and drop it in?

I also have the option to buy the whole engine (minus transmission, P/S, A/C) for $250 is that good? should I do that?

#11 ·
i don't know if a picture is going to be able to describe this one... just use instinct... if the normal scoring of the cylinder is consistent, you are probably ok... if there is one, or a few that stand out, then thats sketchy... also, if the block still has the head on it, you could do a compression check... if all of the cylinders turn out to be ok, then you should be good to go...
i feel kinda bad giving this kinda advice, because i'm probably making you paranoid... if it ran well before the crash, then i would think it would be ok... plus, its not like the pistons aren't going to be replaced anyway...
i'm just trying to say that the only thing you would really need to worry about as far as a block goes is the obvious visible damage, and the cylinder walls... use instinct!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.