Complete Noob to boost... Need Help - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
95civicferio

Default Complete Noob to boost... Need Help

sup people, after doing my homework and doing tons of research, I've made my choice of staying D, and not go for the B16A. I drive a 95 LX(D16 I think?) Civic ferio 5spd. I want to boost It to about 150-170WHP on stock internals if possible. My budget is about 3k, and I want to have It all done by June. Well my engine is very old, 170 thousand miles is starting to take It's tow.. I was thinking of picking up a JDM D15B VTEC Swap, for 700, and then have the rest for intake exuast, and a turbo kit. I could pieace together a e-bay turbo kit, but I don't know a whole lot about cars, and nor can I install all of this myself, I'm having a shop do this. I don't have higg WHP goals, just want a fun daily-driver.. So what do guys think?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

the stickies at the top of this forum help a lot

this one especially!
https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14212

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
95civicferio

i've red em, but still is not helping me. MY budget is 3k, IDK if the JDM D15 VTEC Swap is a good choice, or should I just swap the engine out, and not the tranny, and save $400. But I don't know how my LX tranny fares out with a JDM D15. Do I need engine managment if i use a greddy kit? can't i just use afmu?

Old 02-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 Got Vtec?  is accepted as part of the communityGot Vtec?  is accepted as part of the communityGot Vtec?  is accepted as part of the communityGot Vtec?  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Well you could also go with a D16Z6, those can be found pretty cheap as well. Then with that I think all you have to do is get a new ECU (p2 and run a few extra wires but I am not 100 percent sure on that. Also if you buy the greddy kit it comes with the E-Manage so you can use that. If you go with a home made kit you could use an FMU to get it going but you are going to want to either chip the ECU or use a V-AFC or something of that sort (atleast thats what they will all tell you to do). Hope that helps a little bit.
Got Vtec? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 skoracing is learning the way of the Dskoracing is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

if you swap out for a d15b stick with the trans you got, if your going boost... i have a d15 and my stock dx trans... its like a match made in heaven..
skoracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
95civicferio

ok, how dose a D16Z6 with an LX Tranny fare?
Old 02-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 skoracing is learning the way of the Dskoracing is learning the way of the D

same thing, d15b and d16z6 are about the same motors... the trans works great with both..
Old 02-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
95civicferio

yeah but the LX Tranny gay? lol it got longer gears I think, and thats not good for boost..
Old 02-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 20 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95civicferio
yeah but the LX Tranny gay? lol it got longer gears I think, and thats not good for boost..
longer gears than an si tranny yes... longer gears than an hf or 4 speed std tranny no
Old 02-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

doesnt the jdm d15 tranny have a stock lsd? not sure i just heard that somewhere. that would be nice.
psi_o_so_hi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psi_o_so_hi
doesnt the jdm d15 tranny have a stock lsd? not sure i just heard that somewhere. that would be nice.
some of them have the lsd, but more often than not they dont have it, its suppose to be uber rare to find a tranny that does
quest4boost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2006, 06:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

longer gears better for boost... shorter gear better for na...
Old 02-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
95civicferio

how much am I looking to spend..? Right now My budget is 3k.. How hard is it to install a turbo kit.?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

tunning is the key.. i'd invest in some engine management... crome, s300, or uberdata or something.. 300.00 d15b 1,000.00 to 1,200.00 diy turbo kit.. 300.00 to 700.00 engine management system.. look on a noobs face boostin for the first time......................priceless..
Old 02-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

before boosting, be sure to do a full compression test, and tune up...you need to know if the engine is healthy...

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoracing
longer gears better for boost... shorter gear better for na...
BS, i dont care what you are running, shorter gears will ALWAYS be faster. the whole "stay in boost longer" is complete nonsense.

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 kiloviper  is slowly gaining respectkiloviper  is slowly gaining respectkiloviper  is slowly gaining respectkiloviper  is slowly gaining respectkiloviper  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to kiloviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx
BS, i dont care what you are running, shorter gears will ALWAYS be faster. the whole "stay in boost longer" is complete nonsense.
Sup guys, long time no see. Actually you are right Ryan I don't think this matter in our small tranny boxes. Longer gear are better in those high end performance car other than civics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Scott
kiloviper .... To an old man like me, settling on a Turbo is like settling for a whore. There's no work involved, she's loose and fast, just a hell of a lot cheaper than a wife.

Dr. Scott
Great buyers/sellers
: MrHalder, ABTsportsline

Help a friend, spread some rep
kiloviper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2006, 07:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

shorter gear= more wheel spin..
Old 02-25-2006, 07:44 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoracing
shorter gear= more wheel spin..
im assuming that were talking about turbo cars here, then why would shorter gears cause more wheel spin with a turbo car but not on the same car without the turbo? at lower rpms before the turbo even wakes up the motor is running like it would if it were n/a, so it would spin the tires as much as it would if it were n/a
quest4boost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 16 DreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagleDreaMer is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DreaMer

well with 3k you could get the D15b, greddy kit, and still have some money for a tune and the program

DreaMer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in