Tapping the oil pan - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku
Default Tapping the oil pan

What do you guys think of not tapping the oil pan, but instead drilling a hole just large enough to jam the fitting in and just JB welding the fitting in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

That is how the Stealthmode kits works. The instructions tell you to make the hole just big enough to thread in the fitting they include, and then JB weld it. We've sold hundreds of these kits, and everyone likes them.

Oil line kits at Tuner Toys

Craig
TunerToys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 konigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

thats how i have done it before..

i just use a 1" drill bit and then use a 3/4"npt to 3/4" barbed fitting.. it threads right in to the 1" hole..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
konigcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
WeldStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by konigcivic
thats how i have done it before..

i just use a 1" drill bit and then use a 3/4"npt to 3/4" barbed fitting.. it threads right in to the 1" hole..
I would cover the drill bit with grease and drill slow to help keep metal shavings out of your oil pan. That is of course if your drilling the pan installed on the motor.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
d-series smartass

Rep Power: 16 9000_red smells like Borat9000_red smells like Borat9000_red smells like Borat9000_red smells like Borat9000_red smells like Borat9000_red smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

woah, no! you have to remove the oil pan, it's stupid not to. you don't want ANY shavings in your oil.
9000_red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9000_red
woah, no! you have to remove the oil pan, it's stupid not to. you don't want ANY shavings in your oil.
I totally agree with this. Always remove your oil pan. Craig
TunerToys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 bigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 21 reviews

i took my oil pan off then cleaned it then drilled it cleaned it, then put it back on
i used a hole bunch of brass fittings to do mine thow... it took forever
bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

good info... hmmm... maybe I should have looked at the paper my stealthmode kit came with. I don't remember seeing any instructions though...

OK, this weekend, oil pan will be coming off and drilled

I'm going to have to rig it so the oil goes straight through from the block to the pan though since I'm not ready to install the turbo. Just wanted to have everything ready. The hard part is deciding where I want to drill because I don't have my downpipe made... but I think if I put it all the way to the right side (if you're looking at the front of the car), my fabbed up downpipe will clear it.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Shoot me!

Rep Power: 45 Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 50 reviews

I have the same flange on my greddy kit for the return line drill 3 holes and used some hondabond just for good measure its been 7 months and i've had no problems.The only problem i have with oil leaking on my turbo is the vtec solenoid gasket keeps shitting out on me every 3 weeks with new gasket.
Hellhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 bigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Borat

fyi break cleaner is the best thing to get all the old oil out!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

i used SuperMend

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 10:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

if it works, go for it!
Old 02-21-2006, 02:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 20 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by makku
good info... hmmm... maybe I should have looked at the paper my stealthmode kit came with. I don't remember seeing any instructions though...

I'm going to have to rig it so the oil goes straight through from the block to the pan though since I'm not ready to install the turbo. Just wanted to have everything ready. The hard part is deciding where I want to drill because I don't have my downpipe made... but I think if I put it all the way to the right side (if you're looking at the front of the car), my fabbed up downpipe will clear it.
you want to find out where the turbo is going to be a line it up with the drain flange/hole

the drain line is gravity feed so the less restriction the better

.. but personally, i wouldnt tap the oil pan unless you're ready to install
Old 02-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 konigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to allkonigcivic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by makku

you dont have to rig anything.. they sell rubber caps at napa that go over 5/8" or 3/4" nipples so you can just cap it with a clamp.. and yes take the oil pan off.. i got some shavings in my pan when i did mine and for the life of me i could not get them all out.. my solution was take the oil pan to a manual car wash and spray the shit out of the inside with the high pressure gun.. works like a champ, something for you to keep in mind if your in the same situation..

Old 02-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeldStyle
I would cover the drill bit with grease and drill slow to help keep metal shavings out of your oil pan. That is of course if your drilling the pan installed on the motor.
i dont know where you got the idea to quote me like i didnt take the oil pan off.. isnt that common practice to take the pan off?

Old 02-21-2006, 04:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Quote:
Originally Posted by konigcivic
isnt that common practice to take the pan off?
yes, i would NEVER try and drill the pan without taking it off. it doesnt take shit for shavings to ruin a motor

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx
yes, i would NEVER try and drill the pan without taking it off. it doesnt take shit for shavings to ruin a motor
exactly.. thats why i didnt even mention it in my first post cause i always do it and think of it as part of tapping the pan..

Old 02-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
the MAD scientist

mikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 25 reviews

Just a FYI Makku. If you are using the stealthmode oil line kit an O2 bung is the same thread pitch and size as the fitting you are supposed to JB weld into the pan. So if you want you can actually weld the bung onto the pan and just screw in the barb fitting. Way stronger then JB weld doing it this way.
mikeD16Z6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
vtec4500

2 cents tap the oil pan saffer and just weld a bolt around the pan.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
ek_chris

whoever said to drill the pan while installed on the engine..:stfu: that is the worst advice to give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in