More ZEX kit questions... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 i love honda will become famous soon enoughi love honda will become famous soon enoughi love honda will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Default More ZEX kit questions...

Well Im thinking of buying a ZEX dry kit off of eBay for $450 shipped. It's brand new. Anyway, how safe is that on a y8 with stock internals with some colder plugs? I'll only run the 55 shot and it'll only be every now and then. Don't plan to use it like every day or anything. How much safer does ZEX's "Active Fuel Control" feature make it then the others? I don't need to chance fucking up my motor, which is why Im only running the 55 shot. If I can find a 35 shot jet for it, I'll be using that. And how does it work? From my understanding...if you were to have it floored through every gear, it would be spraying the whole time. Or do you arm it with that little toggle switch it comes with? I've already read everything on ZEX's site. Just trying to get a little better understanding of it.
i love honda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

55 shot on stock plugs will be fine, just use the stock timing settings (12 BTDC) and go.

the toggle switch provides power the NMU, then nitrous will activate when at WOT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 15 i love honda will become famous soon enoughi love honda will become famous soon enoughi love honda will become famous soon enough

So will the n20 still spray even if the NMU doesn't have power?

Old 02-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

nvm, I figured it out. So a 55 shot is going to be safe on a stock y8? Does that little feature they have really help with safety?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
No more Honda's :-(

Rep Power: 18 FMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via MSN to FMYStreetRacer

all they have inside that box is a manifold just like any other dry kit uses. if you don't want the NMU to turn the nitrous on you can wire up the solenoid just like you would any other kit. my board was fried on mine so that's how i used it. it worked great. and zex uses a parker solenoid wich is a good one. i'd run atleast a one step colder plug and leave the timing stock for a 55 shot. i used the champion plugs (what ever heat range that is) and retarded the timing one degree just to be safe. the car really moved out pretty good. but if you figure how much the kit plus filling the bottle after a year costs you could be turbo and have that power all the time. i didn't think i'd care but after a couple of months of filling the bottle 3 times a month i bought a turbo kit.

83 RX-7 Wide Body, 4-port 13B street-ported, Cartech turbo system with blow through carbs

03 Kawasaki KLX400R tagged

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FMYStreetRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

yea I know what you mean. I don't think I'll need to fill it that much though. I don't race to often. But I mean as long as I have colder plugs, is it safe? I have no intention of messing with the timing. And wouldn't that little box be good so that you don't end up running lean from spraying? It's supposed to prevent that by upping the fuel pressure.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 SLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the communitySLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the communitySLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the communitySLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

So if it activates at WOT would it release in 1st gear right after launching at the drag strip?
Do you wait till like 2 or 3 to actually flip the toggle switch?

SLO SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

that's what Im wondering as well.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

does it really make a difference when nitrous kick in? can you really feel it kick in
civicjuju is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yea but I don't want it to kick in until around 3rd gear. Is it not bad for the motor if it's spraying through every gear? And that seems like it would really screw up the launch...
Old 02-20-2006, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
No more Honda's :-(

Rep Power: 18 FMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via MSN to FMYStreetRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love honda
yea I know what you mean. I don't think I'll need to fill it that much though. I don't race to often. But I mean as long as I have colder plugs, is it safe? I have no intention of messing with the timing. And wouldn't that little box be good so that you don't end up running lean from spraying? It's supposed to prevent that by upping the fuel pressure.
in that box is the solenoid for the nitrous, a manifold that is what ups the fuel pressure, and a circuit board thatturns the solenoid on when you go to full throttle. the manifold is not controlled in any way by electricity. no computer or anything. it's just machanical. the box is just there to make everything look nicer, it's a cover. seriously you need to check the timing and make sure it's correct. if you can set your timming you don't need to be messing with nitrous at all. that stuff can be your best friend of your worst enemy. nitrous if not properly tuned right can ruin you motor in one pass.

here's a video of my friend after running half a bottle through his motor with a zex kit not properly tuned. car ran great though. http://media.putfile.com/nickafter100shot

the nitrous only kicks in at 100% throttle. just pedal it. on the street i'd go about 80% till 5k then stab the throttle and shift right away cause of the wheel spin. let the tires keep spinning through 2nd while the car pulled hard as shit. figure a normal z6 has 125hp at the fly. add intake header exhaust and guess about 140 fhp. add a 55 shot and you've got about 200 hp. my turbo z6 only made 185 whp at 12 psi. that should be about 200 fhp. you can definatly feel the kick.

83 RX-7 Wide Body, 4-port 13B street-ported, Cartech turbo system with blow through carbs

03 Kawasaki KLX400R tagged

Last edited by FMYStreetRacer; 02-20-2006 at 06:29 PM.
FMYStreetRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yea I understand exactly what you're saying. So just double check my timing and make sure it's all right and i should be ok? I deff won't put it on until I know for sure the timing is right. As a matter of fact, Im having it tuned, so I won't run the nitrous at all until I go have it tuned at the dyno. My tuner can ensure that it's timed right then.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 SLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the communitySLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the communitySLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the communitySLO SOHC  is accepted as part of the community

This may sound dumb but how do you tell timing is set 1 degree difference I know there are only 4 marks on the crank pulley 3 timing and one tdc?

Can you actually measure degrees from the tdc mark and make new marks on the crank pulley to set you desired timing easier?

SLO SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 Sohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow up

Dude you really dont know what to do with your car, first your gonna boost it, the go n/a and now your gonna spray. If I were you I would just save up and boost it and put an end to swithching back and forth!!!!
Sohc Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 07:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

I know man...I was seriously going to boost it until I realized I didn't have enough money...plus you get worse gas mileage and I don't have money to pay for that right now. I decided to spray when I read up on it more and more. Im going with spray for a while unless someone can give me a good reason not to.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 Sohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love honda
plus you get worse gas mileage
Not true at all, it really depends on how you drive....
Sohc Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Exactly, I drive fast lol. I take it to 5500RPM's at least 10 times a day...
Old 02-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 sparknutracer is learning the way of the Dsparknutracer is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO SOHC
So if it activates at WOT would it release in 1st gear right after launching at the drag strip?
Do you wait till like 2 or 3 to actually flip the toggle switch?
if u hit the switch in first u may loose traction spin and get some wheel hop i wait till i hit 2nd then then hit the switch and floor it! to start spraying by then i have traction!!!!
sparknutracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 08:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Mmk so I can wait til I have traction in 2nd before I hit the toggle switch?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

yeaaa first gear+ nitrous=useless

i would wait 3500 then hit it

i'm right? cause i'm just learning about spary too and looking to get some too
civicjuju is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in