turbo head.....vtec or not? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 88ED3 will become famous soon enough88ED3 will become famous soon enough88ED3 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 88ED3
Default turbo head.....vtec or not?

ive got a d16a6 being rebuilt right now, and im planning on boosting. should i go mini-me turbo? or just p&p my head now?

this is what i think, but remember im still a d series n00b.

mini me turbo
higher base hp
should flow more air

stock head
port and polish can make up for the vtec, air flow difference
head and block are more compatible than mini me.
can find same aftermarket parts (cams not as aggressive)

remember this is just....my opinions, if you will. do i have it right? am i off or wrong completely on anything? what? my main question is:

which head would be the best?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep
does not care about post count
88ED3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 02:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 20 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules

based on what your showing us i'd vote for the a6 head.. reason being is

z6 head - higher base HP yes, but also a higher compression ratio which leaves less room for error on tuning. also, for VTEC you have to be able to tune the high and low cam maps; so if you're a beginner in tuning (considering you're tuning yourself) it might be a good idea to stay non vtec anyways...

a6 head - port & polished, so its going to flow MORE than the z6 head unless its a crappy port job. also, think of this, most of the street cars run vtec. but most of the all out race hondas use nonvtecs

also, if this is a first time boosting i'd probably recommend not dwindling too deep into the motor. you dont need to build it to boost it
Old 02-20-2006, 06:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

stay non vtec. higher compression isnt the best idea. who is doing your tuning? if you are just learning non vtec is much easier to tune as well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 88ED3 will become famous soon enough88ED3 will become famous soon enough88ED3 will become famous soon enough

Blue99CivicSi from TampaRacing.com will be doing my tunning. hes well known and knows his shit. i want to build my motor before i boost it, so itll be strong and a bit more reliable.

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep
Old 02-20-2006, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 EJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunnaEJ1All-Star is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ1All-Star Send a message via MSN to EJ1All-Star

oh i was gonna say if u go mini me, u have to deal with gettin a p28, jumper harness, correct 02 sensor, all that jazz, but if u gots the money go for it
EJ1All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

We are working on this exact same setup right now. A6/Y8/MIniMe, oh and we're doing Vitara pistons too. We plan on using TurboEdit to tune with, no need for a P28, Conversion Harnes, etc. TurboEdit has the one wire VTEC option for kicking in the mAD Vtak yo.

If you have a professional tuner, then go all the way that your wallet will allow. Otherwise, if doing it yourself, take small steps to learn the way.

Craig
TunerToys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

^^^ damn right, use a y8 head you can just stay obd0 and reuse your current distributor, plus if you use vitaras and tuner toys rods you will have a cr of something around 8.5 and if you fill the block you can run some pretty good boost. i am doing this build also , get the head back from the machine shop on fri and should be done with the motor by the end of march.
signorelli21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

i am building my motor strong so itll give me time to do this. im really stressing.....vtec or not. money is not an option. id rather spend a lot and have it take forever to do it right. i am making a pros and cons list, so keep them comming. this car will be my daily fore a few years. so i want to throw that in there.

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep
Old 02-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 Sohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow upSohc Wrath is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx
stay non vtec. higher compression isnt the best idea. who is doing your tuning? if you are just learning non vtec is much easier to tune as well
This guy knows his shit
Sohc Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

if you're making a turbo monster, go with the head that has the camshaft you want to use. If you have a monster turbo, having a vtec cam might make a little more power down low since that is what the low cam profile is designed to do...

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 09:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

berettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

Keep it All A6, no need for Mini me w/ turbo "more tuning" You will get just as much hp on good tune!
berettagtz117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 11:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettagtz117
Keep it All A6, no need for Mini me w/ turbo "more tuning" You will get just as much hp on good tune!

so keep the a6 huh? i like that idea. but if i decide later on after im turbo, i can just swap the head and have the turbo stuff "match" up? i know ill need an ecu, but
Blue99CivicSi sells them chipped and ready for wtf ever. i want to get the most out of the kit as possible. like ive stated before, my goal is 200whp. then the next goal will get 250 then 300, then 350, etc.....baby steps young grasshoppa.

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep
Old 02-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 pork is learning the way of the Dpork is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ED3
money is not an option.
well shit man , if money isnt an option i dont know what your gonna do.. will work for turbo?? haha just messin around man . good luck with your build.
pork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2006, 12:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pork
well shit man , if money isnt an option i dont know what your gonna do.. will work for turbo?? haha just messin around man . good luck with your build.
lol, im tired, leave me alone. good point though i meant "money is not a problem". its the time factor i fucking hate!!! i hate when shit comes up, like getting into a fight, somehow a kidney gets hit, you pee blood for a week and the insurance decides "lets have this fucker pay for it" and then your out lik $400 and your mechanic is waiting for the other half to get your shit done and out of the way......sorry about that. end of rant. lol

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep
Old 02-21-2006, 06:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 skoracing is learning the way of the Dskoracing is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

A6 non vtec.. takes my vote.. p/p a6 head i'll take over a vtec head any day.. like others said it's your first motor dont get too involved..
skoracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 12:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 pork is learning the way of the Dpork is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ED3
lol, im tired, leave me alone. good point though i meant "money is not a problem". its the time factor i fucking hate!!! i hate when shit comes up, like getting into a fight, somehow a kidney gets hit, you pee blood for a week and the insurance decides "lets have this fucker pay for it" and then your out lik $400 and your mechanic is waiting for the other half to get your shit done and out of the way......sorry about that. end of rant. lol
it was just funny to me because just last week i went with my friend to a body shop to get a quote for his del sol and he told the guy the same thing , "money isnt an option".. haha after we left i made fun of him for it and he still thought he said it right .. haha
anyway, sorry for cluttering your post man.
pork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 12:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

its straight. i work 9-10 hours at a warehouse, come home and get on here. my grammer and spelling is shit by then.

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep
Old 02-22-2006, 05:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

To tell the truth it is up to you... VTEC adds a little torque/HP (depending on the turbo/setup) but there is more stuff to worry about (tuning VTEC, area before VTEC, X-over, etc.). But then you have a better powerband (again, depending on your setup).

Just be warned, it might take 2x as long to tune it with VTEC. That means 2x the dyno time and 2x the money used to tune.

Last edited by Richie_A_19; 02-22-2006 at 05:10 AM.
Richie_A_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

its official, im staying non-vtec for now.

88ED3 aka Sugar Shayne:
will not ride your dick
does not care about rep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in