windscreen water spray routed to intercooler - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 BlackMoon  is accepted as part of the communityBlackMoon  is accepted as part of the communityBlackMoon  is accepted as part of the communityBlackMoon  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default windscreen water spray routed to intercooler

anyone done this ? thinking of putting a mist spray nozzle on the end of the hose and route it to the front of my intercooler . i will have to buy a new tank and pump since mine are not existant . Any idea on the gains ?
BlackMoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 grayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebody

I would rather do this...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105547
grayzee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
eg6ajk

PIVOT used to sell a kit
http://www.fastwrx.com/pivwatsprayc.html

it can be found on some JDM Evos and STis from factory, as far as gains all depends on the efficency of your current intercooler!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 X292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regularX292J is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to X292J

hmm id rather do a small fan behind the IC, because i did the thing with the winshield wiper sprayer on the IC and i didint really notice anything puls the water ran out really quick for me but then again my IC only works like a heat sink here in az

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
X292J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 sleeperhatch91 smells like Boratsleeperhatch91 smells like Boratsleeperhatch91 smells like Boratsleeperhatch91 smells like Boratsleeperhatch91 smells like Boratsleeperhatch91 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleeperhatch91

T tought of doing it with a spare n20 bottle and a brdided steel line connected to a peice of brakeline with tiny holes drilled on it. You'd just open the bottle for a bit before the run.

91 EF STD Hatch
vitara/scat z6
57 trim T3/T04e
In progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tuner Toys

Xenocron

FJT

Exospeed Racing

sleeperhatch91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
ccfab

if you have a nice front mount, there is no poitn to doign this at all.

even on really hot days, my intercooler is always cool at the cold side outlet.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 grayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebodygrayzee is almost a somebody

You'll get WAY more cooling effect by spraying inside the charge pipe. Between the IC and the TB.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
snackz

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayzee
You'll get WAY more cooling effect by spraying inside the charge pipe. Between the IC and the TB.

now correct me if im wrong, but would water spraying in your intake be a bad thing. cold air i can understand how thats good. water.... bad.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
the MAD scientist

mikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 25 reviews

Its called water injection. Its been proven to work at reducing intake air temps.
mikeD16Z6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
the MAD scientist

mikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top Aussie

It also effectively increases you octane rating allowing you to run more boost, more timing, and leaner AFR's.

Why do we run rich in boost? Because the extra fuel acts to cool the intake charge, however if we replace the extra gasoline with water to cool it we dont need to waste gas by running rich.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 crxtscy is learning the way of the Dcrxtscy is learning the way of the D

a friend datalogged his IM temps before and after using a IC water sprayer setup. He noted a several degree drop in temp.... but hardly worth the effort. A nice IC will own a crappy IC and water all day long.
crxtscy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 09:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMoon
anyone done this ? thinking of putting a mist spray nozzle on the end of the hose and route it to the front of my intercooler . i will have to buy a new tank and pump since mine are not existant . Any idea on the gains ?
there was a website that did a test on this, using a heat gun, a fan, and a spray bottle. they used a lazer temp meter and recorded temps at the outlet of the IC with the heatgun blowing in the inlet. even with spraying water and a fan on it, the temps were no different between just air and air+water.

i wish i could find the link...

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 10:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 15 sohc_vtec 2NR is learning the way of the Dsohc_vtec 2NR is learning the way of the D

i don't think IC sprayers are worth the effort. Why? because there is minimal HP gains and besides the track won't let you use it anyways
sohc_vtec 2NR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeD16Z6
It also effectively increases you octane rating allowing you to run more boost, more timing, and leaner AFR's.

Why do we run rich in boost? Because the extra fuel acts to cool the intake charge, however if we replace the extra gasoline with water to cool it we dont need to waste gas by running rich.

Yeah, water won't increase your octane but alchohol will. That is why I use
-40 rated washer fluid. I have run that setup with a wideband 02 sensor and watched the af ratios spike nice and rich when the spray kicks in. I could even notice the car pull harder when the spray kicked in if I got on the boost slow enough to be able to notice. Probably just because of the cooler intake charge. If you really want to spray the intercooler I would just some sort of compressed gas (like nitrogen) A blast of that should soak up alot of heat!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
the MAD scientist

I said "effectively" meaning not actually, but having the same effect as increasing the octane rating. What the water does is slow down the rate at which the fuel mixture burns. le chatelier's principle.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #16 (permalink)

It might not be super effective, but if you have a hatch with a rear wiper, you could intercept the pump line for the rear and run it to a garden mister in front of the intercooler. This way, if it isn't worth it, you won't be out a whole lot of effort. Also, you only have to buy a couple of garden misters and maybe a small length of tubing as the switch, pump, and reservoir are already existing.
ONECAMWONDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

Someone should install one of those electric refridgerators. They come in coolers where one side gets hot and the other side gets cold. You could make an intercooler out of those and just vent the hot side out to a hood vent or something.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 02:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
the MAD scientist

peltier junction?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

YES! that's what they're called... i actually didn't know the name, but i looked it up and yes, that's what i'm describing

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

I like the water injection idea the best. The intercooler would have to get pretty hot for an intercooler to be effective. It would actually have to be hot enough to cause the water to evaporate to have the greatest effect. Nitrous oxide sprayers have alot more gains due to the temp difference. But then again nitrous injection is even more effective at cooling intake temps. Personally I like the alcohol/water injection idea the best. Too much water can be a very bad thing. If not all the water evaporates the excess washes past the piston rings. Alcohol helps to offset this by increasing burn and it also has the added effect of increasing octane.
D16A6T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in