D15 questions.. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 06:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D15 questions..

I found out that the d16 pistons won't fit...but someone told me that the d17 pistons were basically the same as the d15 pistons....

So my question is could I get d17 forged piston (if they exist) and put them in a d15 for a cheap big boost motor?

The person said they have the same compression height...I guess its the same from the pin to the top?
pythoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 06:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 crxtscy is learning the way of the Dcrxtscy is learning the way of the D

I thought all dseries pistons were the same?
crxtscy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 06:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

know the d15b ones aren't....and i was told the d17 pistons were also different.....

The good thing is they are all the same diameter.

Thanks
Stephen

Old 02-06-2006, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxtscy
I thought all dseries pistons were the same?
please don't think, it confuses people.

No USDM piston has the same compression height as the D15B VTEC piston, some are close though.

WHat are you looking to do with your compression, up or down?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

i am looking to go down to 8.0:1
I know its not possible with the vitara pistons but also that would be around 9.0:1...so i am looking for an engine that is cheap and can handle 20~ pounds of boost.

My current plan is to just build a D16z6 and stick with that but i am also going to be buying a hatch soon and it needs a motor....i found some good deals and thought it would be a fun DD.

Thanks
Stephen
Old 02-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

so you want your DD to have a 8:1 CR, and want it to be fun?? Not gonna happen
Richie_A_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

not the d16 to be the DD

The d15 that would be built to be in the other car....my showish car....

Also both will be boosted
Old 02-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

OK.... I was gonna say.... lol
Richie_A_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Im dumb but not that dumb.... and i do know a lil about building an engine
Old 02-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 sleeperhatch91 smells like Boratsleeperhatch91 smells like Boratsleeperhatch91 smells like Boratsleeperhatch91 smells like Boratsleeperhatch91 smells like Boratsleeperhatch91 smells like Borat
Send a message via AIM to sleeperhatch91

I thought the d16a1 pistons were higher comp than the d15b? regardless, the d16a1 pistons in a d15b will be higher comp by alot... think it works out to 11:1 or `12:1.

91 EF STD Hatch
vitara/scat z6
57 trim T3/T04e
In progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tuner Toys

Xenocron

FJT

Exospeed Racing

sleeperhatch91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am looking to put D17 pistons in....
Old 02-07-2006, 01:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 DirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Aren't all D15/D16/D17 pistons about 75 bore? Compression and what-not be damned, they are the same in that respect, right?
DirtyDC4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

they are the same bore yes...but the height from the pin is different.... the 1.5 and 1.7 are soposed to be the same....i am looking to make a huge boost motor so a low compression high boost motor that is cheap is prefect.

Thanks
Stephen
Old 02-07-2006, 10:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I'll look up the specs, the D17's might work. Also some has used a VX bottom end with a Y7 head, compression was about 7.5:1 and he was running 13-14 psi HMT setup.

But unless your tunning is dead nuts PERFECT I don't see the rods and piston holding.......I know what others have done, damn lucky IMHO.

Better lucky than good right?

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

where would I find the specs...also i am having problems finding d17 pistons that are forged.

Thanks
Stephen
Old 02-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

there is a "D15A piston in a D15B thread" on www.homemadeturbo.com ........ the link included some D17 pistons also.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

thanks for the link, i now wonder if they will fit in the JDM D15b
Old 02-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 crxtscy is learning the way of the Dcrxtscy is learning the way of the D

eh, sorry... i was thinking they all had the same bore.
crxtscy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythoner
Im dumb but not that dumb.... and i do know a lil about building an engine

but you said, CHEAP and RELIABLE.

come on now.
STREETWERKZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2006, 01:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

i don't care if it blows up every one and a while, there are a few things that can be cheap and relaible......I just can't think of any
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in