What type of turbo manifold - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default What type of turbo manifold

What type of turbo manifold should i look at getting, do log style VS Ram Horn style do anything different than looks? please help, i really like the style of the Ram horns that are out there. Please assit me here as i am not sure ont he effects on perfomance, or space issues. but i really like the Ram Horn style. HELP!!
Jcazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 98_4drCivic is learning the way of the D98_4drCivic is learning the way of the D

it depends on your goals. keep in mind that some manifolds will not allow you to keep a/c
98_4drCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
whatthehell1051

ramhorn good for HIGH hp and log good for low
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 98_4drCivic is learning the way of the D98_4drCivic is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthehell1051
ramhorn good for HIGH hp and log good for low
don't forget that the ramhorn's are equal length and tend to spool the turbo quicker which changes your powerband, and most won't let you keep your a/c. do you plan to daily drive the car?
98_4drCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2006, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 BseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_4drCivic
don't forget that the ramhorn's are equal length and tend to spool the turbo quicker which changes your powerband
incorrect!, a log manifold will spool a turbo faster then a ramhorn. but ramhorn is more efficient.
BseriesKllR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 streetforce is starting to learn the ropesstreetforce is starting to learn the ropesstreetforce is starting to learn the ropesstreetforce is starting to learn the ropesstreetforce is starting to learn the ropesstreetforce is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

ramhorns just look sick.... :IHI:
streetforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 01:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

i plan on using the car for daily driving going to boost around 8-9PSI, will the ram horn still let the turbo spool around 3500-4000 rpms/>?
Jcazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 01:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
ccfab

i suggest a "chuck norris" mini rams i think are the best compromise for quick spool and nice flow up top.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

Rep Power: 16 Joseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Davis

Precision cut merge collector is what smooths the flow, keeps scavenging even across all cylinders, allows the majority of the exhaust pressure to spend itself across the turbine/wastegate instead of bottlenecking in a poor flowing log.

Equal vs unequal length runners are a non-issue, unless you are worried about spool time. Unequal length runners typically have less volume inside the manifold, and will spool turbos faster, while the merge collector prevents bottlenecking of exhaust gasses and pressure. An actual Full-Race ramhorn style manifold, with an otherwise identical turbo/engine/setup except a miniram like ccfag's, is going to spool the *exact same* turbo 500-1000 rpms later. Joy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joseph Davis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 bigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Borat

Joey, have you seen any testing on actual primary size? Seems everyone uses 1.5 SS whatever. You see a lot of guys running out of steam up top do to EMP>>>>IMP. Seems like an obvious answer would be to lower the EMP. Easy way to do that would be increase primary size. Thoughts?
bigwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

Rep Power: 16 Joseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to allJoseph Davis is a name known to all

I have a paper on exhaust manifold dynamics you need to read. Deals with pulsed flow turbine collector designs and varying primary size to promote pulse velocity and clarity. Port diameters shrunk down to a factor of 0.4-0.6 were not uncommon. You can extend this concept onto constant pressure collector designs; although pulsed flow does not significantly occur (except in terms of reversion) the idea is to mute the pulses with larger diameter runners.

I have to work in 15 min, I'll see if I can find the NACA paper tonight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
the MAD scientist

mikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 25 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Davis
I have a paper on exhaust manifold dynamics you need to read.
What journal? I'd like to read it.

Or if you could email it to me I would really appreciate it.
mikeD16Z6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

No, it's a NACA paper, free to read on the web. It was something Mean Gringo Bob laid on me, I just have to find it/the link.

I'm pretty drunk, but I'll try to look for it now.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Joey Misanthropy

Tell you what, hit me up off this site. Hell if I'm going to lay tech up in here when a moderator has decided to fuck with me when I haven't anything done wrong here.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
the MAD scientist

mikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top Aussie

whats all this then?

not good
Old 01-24-2006, 09:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 bigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Boratbigwig smells like Borat

Sign on AIM if you please.

Quasi off topic: Who the fuck in their right mind would drive Joseph Davis off a site in regards to hondas/tech/anything in general. If you find him offensive, DEAL WITH IT. Hes more of an asset than ANY other member here.
bigwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 09:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
the MAD scientist

Old 01-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

S Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwig

Quasi off topic: Who the fuck in their right mind would drive Joseph Davis off a site in regards to hondas/tech/anything in general. If you find him offensive, DEAL WITH IT. Hes more of an asset than ANY other member here.
do you really think I care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Davis
Tell you what, hit me up off this site. Hell if I'm going to lay tech up in here when a moderator has decided to fuck with me when I haven't anything done wrong here.

wahhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok cry baby, have your rep back .... there you go, you're a big boy now !!!
S Q A D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
ccfab

i agree joseph davis is an asset. even though hes touched me on my genetals more than once,

dont let him sweet talk you while drinking schlitz in his pimped single wide.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
I <3 TIG Welding

Rep Power: 24 9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!
9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 9295EJ-t Send a message via Skype™ to 9295EJ-t

well.. to help you with your decision.. i think you should watch this video.. and after the video give ccfab a holler.. and put in an order for your new ramhorn mani..

http://www.panekmechanik.com/Videos/...old%20Test.wmv

edit: ccfab, if he orders a ram from you, i want 10%

9295EJ-t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in